Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 July and I'm all pre-season excited

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can someone remind me of the approximate date we signed a certain bloke with a surname that ends in Z ?
August 2000. About 24 hours before the first game of the season ? Turned out alright that year, if memory serves.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
From where do you get this mediocre signings:

Whing not my choice but last years player of the year.
Tunnicliffe an exciting prospect highly thought of.
Wright played the majority of games for team that finished well above us.
Croft spent a time on loan at Peterborough and only left Gillingham after a fall out with the manager.
Smith experts say is a superb goalkeeper and will without doubt be no 1.
Dicker who showed his ability for us last season.

If you are counting Whing then... OGH!

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyway I don't agree with statements like "we don't have a top 6 squad." This league isn't about having the most expensive players, just look at Leeds last few years. It is about developing a squad with a good togetherness and belief, as we had with Slade at the end of last season.

Anyway the signings are all good. A mix of hard work and quality.

The midfield still needs addressing I think, a quality winger and centre midfielder though.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Moan moan f***ing moan! :rant: I'm even excited for the moany old misery guts doom merchants.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty much every albion manager in recent times, including Russell, has said they want the squad in place. Everyone is wetting themselves about signing five players, but it's only HALF of what we need, so in that context it's not actually a particularly impressive achievement.

Cobblers.
We've still got the best part of 2 months for squadbuilding. Show me the quote where Slade has said he wants the ENTIRE squad in place by the time they report back for pre-season training ? Cos I must have missed that one, and in all my years supporting the Albion, we have NEVER had our "completed" squad turning up for the first day of pre-season. Like any other year, its a case of identifying targets and hopefully bringing them in over the course of the summer - and yes, some of those signings could be on the eve of the season or even (shock horror) some time before the end of August.

Russell has had a much-needed clearout, got rid of the deadwood, and has made some solid looking additions so far. We're not there yet, obviously, but then I never thought that by July 5th we would be anywhere near completing our signings for this season. Why should we be ? Every other club in the league is still building, except the skint ones.

Its ON TRACK. Calm down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whing isn't a new signing.
Tunnicliffe is the one that sounds good.
Wright is erratic, very hit and miss according to MK Dons fans.
Croft was on loan in the conference last season. Embarrassing.
Smith's played his whole career in Scotland. He's either shit or has no ambition.
Dicker is alright, but no match-winner or dominant midfielder.

After returning from Peterborough, who had achieved promotion, he went to Wrexham just to keep playing football and stay fit. This was on the reccomendation of John Toshack that he went to Wrexham because his assistant Dean Saunders is the manager there. Not the same reason that any of our players went to Lewes or similar.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Complete Badger;302112[B said:
1]He was dropped by Gillingham almost a year ago, stripped of the captaincy, and then released by a league two club[/B]. In that period, he spent time on loan in the conference. That's not a high pedigree signing in my book. I'm not writing him off, far from it, but it's not exactly promising is it?

All due to a fall out with the manager. It is my impression, and I could be wrong, but I believe that RS wants capable proven workers at this level rather than high profile big names.

Last edited:

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
He was dropped by Gillingham almost a year ago, stripped of the captaincy, and then released by a league two club. In that period, he spent time on loan in the conference. That's not a high pedigree signing in my book. I'm not writing him off, far from it, but it's not exactly promising is it?

Are you actually capable of saying anything positive? Only happy when you're moaning obviously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here