Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th Test build up, KP being magnanimous

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm prepared (just) to give Root the benefit of the doubt as he's young. Ditto Bairstow. They're both part of England's future and I just hope this experience hasn't scarred them too much. Bell, Broad and Bresnan on the other hand: inexplicable and inexcusable. Playing Nathan Lyon on that pitch is NOT like facing Shane Warne on a 'bunsen', I can only surmise they wanted to get out to him so they didn't have to face Johnson any more. Never mind lads, only two more innings to go and then you can come home.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Went to bed quite optimistic and woke up to this - Bloody Hell!

Do you think we could give the Zims a game with this team?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went to bed full of hope..... dashed again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For those who like a bet.

On this tour I would not bet against the convicts in any department in any match. we could be said to have " won " maybe 2 days out of the 18 days play this Test Series. If we are batting we usually throw our wickets away, if we are bowling we either let them off the hook or they dig their way out of trouble. My prediction is that it may be close but it's in Australia's hands.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It disgusts me to even say this but ..... anyone else getting a whiff of match fixing here?

I think that match fixing at Test level is pretty hard to do these days after the recent issues. Besides, how would you identify someone match fixing in the England team when it could be all of them by current standards ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, we are just shit. Careers will be ended by this, and the next generation don't look to be up to it. Back to the 80s and 90s I feel.
This - although how the same players went from world beaters to such complete tripe in less than a year is beyond me. The Australian bowlers aren't that scary (even now Johnson has found his radar again).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Now that was a collapse of EPIC proportions. Last 5 wickets went for 6, yes 6 runs. Pathetic England.

It seems incredible that the team that won so many matches has become so poor but since the first test the Aussies have had the complete domination of every English cricketer both mentally and in performance. We have shown a complete lack of backbone and everyone who has played on this tour needs to consider their future. I would like to see the entire squad sent home and the 5th test conceded to prevent further humiliation.Who was it predicting a 5-0 win for us?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This - although how the same players went from world beaters to such complete tripe in less than a year is beyond me. The Australian bowlers aren't that scary (even now Johnson has found his radar again).

1) Were not and never have been world beaters. These players have grown up in an era of the poorest Test cricket in living memory and have records that are flattering in the extreme.
2) Believed in all the hype and became arrogant and complacent. Haven't worked hard enough at their game.
3) Complacent and unprofessional management. We all knew this would be a tough series, going back to back with the Aussies but we let them regroup and conceded the initiative by doing nothing.
4) Trott, KP and Prior shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this series. Trott was shot away in the summer and his game was in bits. The selectors completely disregarded this and threw him to the wolves, finishing his career. KP has always played for himself irrespective of team requirements. He has got away with it because of his exceptional eye and a groundswell of opinion that he is irreplaceable. We have been far too tolerant of him chucking his wicket away. His powers have been waning in the last two years and its all downhill now. He hasn't had the stomach for this fight and that is unforgiveable. Prior is an ordinary and overrated keeper and a batsman who doesn't like quick bowling. A gimme wicket in Australia. Basically, he's chicken. He will only get runs when there is no pressure.
4) The Aussies put a plan in place to render Swann ineffective. He wasn't good enough to react and deserted the sinking ship. The management failed to consider this after the summer.
5) The lack of use of Finn, Rankin and Tremlett defies belief. Anderson struggles outside England and has been flayed regularly in this series, but the selectors keep on picking him. Broad lurches from injury to injury and cannot sustain any consistency but the selctors pick him when he isn't even fit.

In short, it must rank as the poorest managed series in history. Despite the cracks in the summer, they did nothing to change anything. Bell carried the whole batting in the summer but it was clear that he wouldn't be able to repeat that exceptional feat. They relied on the senior pro's getting runs. Cook ( out of form ) Trott ( Mentally gone ) KP ( going through the motions in Test cricket now his powers are waning ) Bell ( too much pressure ) Prior ( can't play quick bowling and is just a gimme wicket )
They relied totally on Anderson, Broad and Swann to take all the wickets. Help! A child could have told you that Anderson and Swann would struggle and Broad can't string two good tests together.

The saddest indictment is that this is a very ordinary Australian team and yet, we have been outthought, outfought and outplayed. The whole touring party have let the nation down, players and management. Central contracts have created complacency. Certain players have survived for far too long on reputation and not on performance. This series has exposed character or lack of it and careers should now end for some. It is the shake-up that we needed. Young players who are prepared to fight for the cause should be nurtured for the future.
This series was lost in the First Test and management and fans have been clutching at straws ever since. This bunch of players haven't been up for it and that is unforgiveable in professional sport.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Really? Why?

I think they'll win at a canter. I'll be going to bed early.
The Australian batting lineup is very fragile. Any time we go out to bat at the moment we are a chance to be rolled for under 150. England have had Australia in trouble several times during the series, but haven't quite been able to finish the job. I think the added pressure of a fourth innings run chase might be too much this time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Really? Why?

I think they'll win at a canter. I'll be going to bed early.

Me too, no point in staying up tonight just to watch them tick the scoreboard over as fast or as slow as they fancy. They'll probably get the total by tea time with only about 4 wickets down.

If I'm proved wrong and I wake up to a nice surprise tomorrow then all good, but I'm done with staying up hoping for a miracle from our lot.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Australian batting lineup is very fragile. Any time we go out to bat at the moment we are a chance to be rolled for under 150. England have had Australia in trouble several times during the series, but haven't quite been able to finish the job. I think the added pressure of a fourth innings run chase might be too much this time.

Just enjoy your victory mate, you've deserved it. Outclassed England in every department and on the very very few occasions England have had you on the back foot we haven't been able to finish it, as you say. England's golden opportunity was yesterday and we threw it away. I'd be amazed if England can turn it back around again tonight.

Jimmy Grimble

Pathetic fielding.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Make that three :lolol:

Maybe the match fixing talk isn't so fanciful after all?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here