Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A list of everything that's wrong and who is to blame

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Connolly isn't good enough for the premier league, and I don't think he ever will be in my opinion. 5 PL goals in 40 odd apps, he's 21 and looks to have gone backwards this season if anything.

Has missed two absolute sitters in recent weeks, that are just inexcusable for someone paid 25k a week. I'd have been roasted for missing those chances in my Sunday league games.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Amazed when we win

Not surprised when we draw

Resigned when we lose

For all the pretty stuff we are a poor PL side without the muscle or guile to compete for 90 minutes except when opponents have an off day or switch off momentarily. It’s got embarrassing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Amazed when we win

Not surprised when we draw

Resigned when we lose

For all the pretty stuff we are a poor PL side without the muscle or guile to compete for 90 minutes except when opponents have an off day or switch off momentarily. It’s got embarrassing.
I have the same emotions but I wish I could agree with your assessment of our team because if I could, I'd just blame the manager for assembling it. But as far as I'm concerned, it isn't poor at all. We are a joy to watch until we are around the opponent's penalty box. We absolutely boss teams in terms of possession, and we absolutely DO create chances. Defensively we are suspect from set pieces and some of them have a mistake in them once (or twice, Burn) a game, but only to a forgiveable extent. The bottom line is that our forwards are all crap and our attacking midfielders can't shoot straight either.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Blame. Why the impulse to always blame?

Three teams have to be relegated in a division made up of the very best clubs in the country. I don’t for one minute imagine that anybody at the club is shirking or not pulling their weight. Everybody there, from the first XI and all the way through the back room, will be trying their very hardest. Our current predicament is maddening and quite often befuddling but it is not something that can simply be scapegoated. Or at least it can be but that isn’t necessarily all that helpful.

I’m just going to keep supporting my team of forty years and hope it all comes together. And if it doesn’t? If it all goes boobs up and we plunge beneath the dotted line of doom and into the murky reaches of the Championship? Well, I shall just come back for more next season and will look forward to August with a sense of hope and anticipation, just like I do every season.

Can we just post this on all the threads about Potter or make it a sticky or something?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The problems, since Palace, have been well discussed on here. Today exposed even more. They say never play the blame game but I'm afraid it's time to, before we end up nice-passing our way to the Championship where we will have 90% possession and 40 shots a game and still not go back up. Whose fault are these? Recruitment? Coaching? Players? A.N. Other?

1) We have no penalty taker. Not one. At least CH always had a penalty taker. We seem not to have one in the squad let alone the starting XI.
2) We have no one who can hit a good free kick from around the box except Dunk, and he can only do it if allowed to take early. How many goals is Ward Prowse worth? Again CH knew the value of a set piece taker.
3) We still cannot defend set pieces against big sides
4) Connolly - not good enough. Should have been loaned.
5) No left back in the whole squad. Burn is not a left back.
6) Still taking the poor percentage shots from the wrong place. But maybe because.....
7) There isn't a player in the side who could finish a boiled egg
8) Performances prioritised over points. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
9) Absolutely rotten luck. Terrible refereeing decisions almost constantly, both wingbacks out long term injured, a fixture list order that really doesn't suit us.

1. Maupay scored 11 penalty kicks in his career and missed 2, its a great record, probably better than any of CHs takers. Maup should be taking them.
2. Probably true. As for direct free kicks around the box, JWP usually score one or two per season. Good for CH that he knew the value of 1-2 goals.
3. Average number of conceded goals on set pieces.
4. Maybe.
5. A left back signing would be nice.
6. Sometimes.
7. Not currently.
8. Poor performances does not lead to better results.
9. There is a bit of poor luck. Rotten is maybe exaggerating... but definitely more unlucky than lucky.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Tony Bloom’s refusal to pay the going PL rate for strikers is to blame. Just to be totally clear I am not moaning about it and him and Potter have my full support. Not all fans feel the same way, which is their prerogative obviously.

Much much easier and more comfortable to blame the manager

We are living in the best times ever to be an Albion fan. Hard to believe eh?

This, this and this. Ultimately it's his club and his money and he's pumped so much money in already for which we are all eternally grateful but the striker issue feels like its the one cost too far for him and he just can't bring himself to spend the kind of silly money needed to bring a decent striker into the club and retain him.

Bucephalus

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Said many times I’m sorry if it upsets a few but it’s true until we pay next level wages this is what you get choices haves to be made . You can polish a turd all day long but at the end of the day it’s still a turd . What exactly did Wellbeck achieve at Watford ? , you pay peanuts in prem terms ? Club need to ask themselves and explain some tough questions the pandemic has effected Everyone financially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lallana is on £100k a week...what kind of next level wages do you think we can afford?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think Connolly is a player of great promise and I desperately want him to do well but I don't think a loan to the Championship is right for a player who has been a regular member of a Premier League for almost two seasons - that would be too much of a blow to his morale.

However, what about the Bundesliga or La Liga? Still top level but neither is as high-pressure as the Premier League.

Fair enough shout.

All I really want re Connolly is for him to get regular game time somewhere. At 20 you really need that. We're at the stage now where he's not playing U23s and scoring regularly and he's mostly bench warming for us. So, when he does get on, he's rusty and lacks confidence. But I do get the impression he's perfectly happy with that so long as he can be a Premier League footballer.

The alternative is play him week in and out with Maupay. But that means dropping Trossard or MacAllister or playing a flat 4 with Burn at left back :facepalm:

I was quite glowing about him last season and people might think I'm inconsistent (and I am, I'm a football fan and we're all fickle) but the confidence of his Spurs game translated regularly and suddenly he was starting for Ireland as well. He's gone backwards. Maybe unsurprising at the age of 20 but the only way to get it back is to play, play, play.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can't apportion blame, I am not in a position to know all the facts but we can see the results. Re. The paying of transfers and money, how much more to we expect Tony to invest? His business must have suffered during this year. I would rather have a financially viable club than a broke one.
We do everything right except score. The frightening thing is that the goalposts are no bigger in the Championship. If we cannot hit the target now, we won't in a lower league.
Any team that cannot take even one of two penalties awarded or regularly misses the goal from a few yards, will be at the bottom end of any division they play in.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can't apportion blame, I am not in a position to know all the facts but we can see the results. Re. The paying of transfers and money, how much more to we expect Tony to invest? His business must have suffered during this year. I would rather have a financially viable club than a broke one.
We do everything right except score. The frightening thing is that the goalposts are no bigger in the Championship. If we cannot hit the target now, we won't in a lower league.
Any team that cannot take even one of two penalties awarded or regularly misses the goal from a few yards, will be at the bottom end of any division they play in.

Agree. Quite a number of fans would have scored yesterday had they taken the penalties. I’ve buried a few myself in my time, including several they’ve still not found.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Agree. Quite a number of fans would have scored yesterday had they taken the penalties. I’ve buried a few myself in my time, including several they’ve still not found.

Football has always been about putting the ball in the back of the net ,it’s nothing new ?
Whoever thought Wellbeck Maupay Swiss roll and Connolly were going to score goals to keep us up needs sacking

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Lallana is on £100k a week...what kind of next level wages do you think we can afford?!

There lies one issue to start with .The guy is a sick note waste of money should of put that towards a decent striker How much is Ollie watkins getting or Callum Wilson

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Don't know if its been said as i'm only just starting to read this thread but i think we can blame it somewhat on injuries especially to March and Webster as the turn around in form/luck has coincided with their injuries, less so Lamptey as we coped without his talents although missed his pace etc. As there is very little chance of Webby coming back in the short term and unfortunately none whatsoever for Solly which just goes to reaffirm my view how short sighted it was allowing Bernado to leave on loan, this was highlighted by the bench yesterday with not one defensive substitute available.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think it's a tad harsh to criticise the players for missing penalties, both were well struck and hit the woodwork.
It's the fine margins again.

Personally I felt that given the situation Welbeck's decision to go for the corner was ill-advised. If ever there was a penalty that needed to be on target and force the keeper to save it, that was it.
Just smash it down the middle Welbz, FFS.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We have an international leftback, we've just paid to cut short his loan. He played for the U23s last night.
If he isn't better than Burn at LB then God help us indeed.

I really hope that was to get him up to match fitness and he starts next weekend.

If Lamptey is fit to play too. we will look a different side.

Perhaps Connolly should move down to the U23s to get some confidence back!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There lies one issue to start with .The guy is a sick note waste of money should of put that towards a decent striker How much is Ollie watkins getting or Callum Wilson

It’s a good point. A huge gamble to take for club like us, that’s backed fired spectacularly. Whoever made the decision in hindsight took too high a risk. 100k per week you say? If true that’s an astonishing amount to pay in return for what we’ve had. You could build the fitness centre he spends so much time in for less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here