Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster is not a defender: discuss

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you have a look at the Predict the Line-up, you'll notice that every poster has included Webster. They're probably basing that on the fact that Potter seems to like him. I think Potter knows more about football than I do. Ditto with you. So, I see the points you make, although I disagree with most of them. But can you enumerate some of his strengths, or are you of the view that he doesn't have any?

I haven't engaged with any of the responses because a few posters decided to take the narrative towards personal insults and away from a debate I'm genuinely interested in, as with anything Albion related. You've asked if I see any strengths and I do. He's young, physically well suited to the role and the rigours of the Premier League. He's only had one full season and he isn't afraid to try things like the long crossfield ball or the break from defence through midfield to wrong foot the opposition. He's brave, strong in the tackle and not afraid to put his body where it hurts. He was excellent following the lockdown restart and clearly has earned the confidence of the manager to be given the captaincy in Dunky's absence. I also selected him in GP's choice for Sunday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I haven't engaged with any of the responses because a few posters decided to take the narrative towards personal insults and away from a debate I'm genuinely interested in, as with anything Albion related. You've asked if I see any strengths and I do. He's young, physically well suited to the role and the rigours of the Premier League. He's only had one full season and he isn't afraid to try things like the long crossfield ball or the break from defence through midfield to wrong foot the opposition. He's brave, strong in the tackle and not afraid to put his body where it hurts. He was excellent following the lockdown restart and clearly has earned the confidence of the manager to be given the captaincy in Dunky's absence. I also selected him in GP's choice for Sunday.

Something you've missed, part 1:
-- who caught up with Salah, having given him an extremely slight head start to get his body in the way of a shot in the opening minutes which played a part in that shot being put marginally wide?

PS his crossfield balls with his left (wrong) foot were excellent. For whatever reason, his passing radar has been extremely poor for the last three games, but that doesn't detract from what he's produced before that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfair to BDB really as he is mainly played in a role that is not natural to him. Neither are particular good in the air, BDB pushes forward more and is a better tackler and has more energy. Webster is possibly better with ball at his feet but he is not coming forward much at present. Personally neither would be my first choice of CB.

-- how many goals have they both scored?
-- can you indicate some stats about which CBs carries the ball forward the furthest distance in the PL?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
-- how many goals have they both scored?
-- can you indicate some stats about which CBs carries the ball forward the furthest distance in the PL?

Webster has scored more goals than BDB which is not hard

BDB has not played as CB so difficult to compare those two.

I guess you might have the figures to hand regards ball carrying CBs , personally i am only interested in Brighton and how players are playing. To me we have a problem playing Webster at the back at the moment during the last few games he has not looked good. Personally would like to see how Veltman, White, Dunk works , gets White out of midfield and allows us to start with Alzate or Trossard or McAlistair or combination of two of them with Bissouma. This combination of CBs might not work but we need to see who adds most rather than stick with a defence which has issues. Same way that as much as I like Ryan I feel it's time to get a keeper who can dominate the box if we cannot sort our back 3 out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Webster has scored more goals than BDB which is not hard

BDB has not played as CB so difficult to compare those two.

I guess you might have the figures to hand regards ball carrying CBs , personally i am only interested in Brighton and how players are playing. To me we have a problem playing Webster at the back at the moment during the last few games he has not looked good. Personally would like to see how Veltman, White, Dunk works , gets White out of midfield and allows us to start with Alzate or Trossard or McAlistair or combination of two of them with Bissouma. This combination of CBs might not work but we need to see who adds most rather than stick with a defence which has issues. Same way that as much as I like Ryan I feel it's time to get a keeper who can dominate the box if we cannot sort our back 3 out.

There's a lot I agree with there. That said, I think we should move Dunk to the LCB position and Webster to the central CB. His (or White's) pace will be important in at least trying to nullify Vardy's threat tonight. That said, I think we've got four very good CBs in Dunk, Webster, White and Veltman. BDB, for me, is nowhere near their standard.
I'm a big fan of Alzate too but, the United game aside, he didn't quite hit the heights this season, and was culpable for (at least) two goals: Chelsea's first, and Everton's fourth(?).
I've also reluctantly come to the view that we need an upgrade on Ryan. He, more than anyone, has suffered as a result of Duffy's demise. The opposition have noticed that we no longer have their defensive aerial solidity, and continue to exploit it. I was struck by a couple of the claims made by McCarthy last week. Ryan just doesn't do that, never has done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a lot I agree with there. That said, I think we should move Dunk to the LCB position and Webster to the central CB. His (or White's) pace will be important in at least trying to nullify Vardy's threat tonight. That said, I think we've got four very good CBs in Dunk, Webster, White and Veltman. BDB, for me, is nowhere near their standard.
I'm a big fan of Alzate too but, the United game aside, he didn't quite hit the heights this season, and was culpable for (at least) two goals: Chelsea's first, and Everton's fourth(?).
I've also reluctantly come to the view that we need an upgrade on Ryan. He, more than anyone, has suffered as a result of Duffy's demise. The opposition have noticed that we no longer have their defensive aerial solidity, and continue to exploit it. I was struck by a couple of the claims made by McCarthy last week. Ryan just doesn't do that, never has done.

It's odd how the 3 centre backs are set.

Dunk always played to the left of Duffy.
Webster on the right.
As Veltman is currently showing everyone how it's done, you'd have thought the best solution would be everyone move across one.
As opposed to dancing around Dunk.

I remember Lawro (probably) saying the difference between right and left centre back is night and day.
As said elsewhere I don't think they're much wrong with the set up, or the players, Veltman aside they just don't look as comfortable as their skills warrant.

Good to see the OP taking the positive position.
Chances are had he amalgamated those two posts he'd have nailed Webster's current form in one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Webster on the right.
As Veltman is currently showing everyone how it's done, you'd have thought the best solution would be everyone move across one.

I remember Lawro (probably) saying the difference between right and left centre back is night and day.
As said elsewhere I don't think they're much wrong with the set up, or the players, Veltman aside they just don't look as comfortable as their skills warrant.
I agree with the idea of playing Dunk on the left side of a three.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Webster on the right.

Good to see the OP taking the positive position.
Chances are had he amalgamated those two posts he'd have nailed Webster's current form in one.

Most of the observations in the OP's OP were wrong in my view.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Guess that’s cheered the OP up then [emoji2369][emoji2369]

It only cheers me up to the degree that I won't be worried whenever Webster touches the ball tonight. The real cheering up will only come if we win or at least draw. I do think it's quite funny though after all the sh1t I took on this thread:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thankfully I've been somewhat 'chilled' by BDB for a fair few months.
So a goal from him is more likely now than any time before! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here