Mid mid mid Sussex
Time to turn on the Pi-Hole
Floor-toilet.jpg

???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've not changed the ad setup on NSC for many months, but it certainly seems that some of the existing units have become more intrusive.

Like you, on my phone, I've been typing a reply and something happened with an ad unit at the bottom of the page, it somehow registered I'd tapped on it and I was taken elsewhere. The only saving grace was that I was able to tap back and my message was still there for me to complete - I didn't have to start again.

Regardless, that's not a good experience clearly.

I'm going to take some time this week, hopefully beginning today, to review the whole ad setup and make it better/less intrusive.
AFTER you've updated the "score prediction" competition scores, obviously.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This thread has appeared 3 days too late for me.

I got so fed up with adverts wiping out my posts half way through, I decided to pay the fiver a month just to stop the frustration I was feeling.

£1.25 a week is worth it if only to stop Mrs LLF moaning about me, moaning about NSC.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
I've started getting full page adverts that pop up and block the entire screen. The page also refreshes while typing and you end up clicking on one of these god awful ads and being directed away from NSC also the keyboard vanishes whenever a new advert loads.
I fully appreciate the need for advertising to keep the site running, but the site is becoming a massive pain in the arse and some days the ads are so intrusive I end up not bothering to stay on here. It's definitely getting worse.
I also spend a lot less time on here now due to adverts popping up all over the place. Half the time you can't see what you're typing, it's become bloody annoying

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I also spend a lot less time on here now due to adverts popping up all over the place. Half the time you can't see what you're typing, it's become bloody annoying
£5 a month to NSC pays for those ads. £1.25 a week to help cover server costs. Otherwise it’s the ads which fund the hosting.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
£5 a month to NSC pays for those ads. £1.25 a week to help cover server costs. Otherwise it’s the ads which fund the hosting.
So, once again, the problem here isn't the *ads* themselves. Several of us have said we're more than happy to see the ads. The problem is the implementation of some of these ads technically is causing the ads to adversely affect usage of the site. I would happily scroll through a thread that was 50% ads as long as those ads aren't doing things like prevent me typing up replies (was a problem on desktop a few days ago), or bouncing back to the top of the page several seconds after loading the page and trying to read the last 2-3 posts before then loading the next page (has been an issue on mobile for a while). Or even, historically, some ads causing the entire site / browser to crash and become unusable (was a problem on mobile for a while).

There's no point having ads to help run the site if those ads cause problems that make it harder to use the site. In some cases those problems may have contributed to increased server costs because it takes those of us encountering the problems need to load more pages in order to deal with problems the ads are creating.

Edit: or if the tech isn't working properly, that the ads create problems without driving any revenue. I don't know if Bozza has done it deliberately or not, but right now on desktop I'm not actually seeing any ads. I can see where the ads are meant to be, but there's no actual ads.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As per my post earlier in this thread, I'm well aware that on occasion the ads are making for a shit experience.

Although I could easily have no ads myself, I always run the site with full ads as all non-patrons experience.

I can only reiterate...

1. I've not changed the ads for months, probably six months or more.
2. Contrary to cynical opinion, I've not intentionally set ads to annoy people so they become NSC patrons.

I have so much shit going on away from my laptop, I simply haven't had the time required to sit down for a period of time, focus appropriately, reaquaint myself with something I've not looked at for a long time and refine as required.

It may sound simple, but it isn't completely straightforward.

It's top of my priority list - I just need to be able to sit down for 2-3 hours uninterrupted.

Sorry.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As per my post earlier in this thread, I'm well aware that on occasion the ads are making for a shit experience.

Although I could easily have no ads myself, I always run the site with full ads as all non-patrons experience.

I can only reiterate...

1. I've not changed the ads for months, probably six months or more.
2. Contrary to cynical opinion, I've not intentionally set ads to annoy people so they become NSC patrons.

I have so much shit going on away from my laptop, I simply haven't had the time required to sit down for a period of time, focus appropriately, reaquaint myself with something I've not looked at for a long time and refine as required.

It may sound simple, but it isn't completely straightforward.

It's top of my priority list - I just need to be able to sit down for 2-3 hours uninterrupted.

Sorry.

No worries. That sounds like a lot of the problems are on your providers, then. Because as an end user, the experience does keep changing. As I say, today I'm not getting any ads at all (desktop) on NSC. Hence, no problems. But last week I had these top/bottom/sides ads loading up (and refreshing themselves) and they were making typing a post a right faff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here