Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex food quality and cost

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't like the lack of choice. The game is the same. You have to watch Brighton for the whole 90 minutes (or 85 in my case). Where is the choice in that?

:facepalm:

Meat pie was very good, as per usual, on Saturday. What's not to like about a pint of Harveys? And change from a £20 note, coins that can be used for parking later? Dear oh dear. The kids of today don't know how lucky they are.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
For me this is so simple, I'm surprised it's still an issue.

If I have time I go to my favourite cafe and have a fantastic full English before the match if I don't have time and choose to eat at the ground I expect to get fleeced and the food quality to not be as good.

Name me one stadium / event experience where the food is a reasonable price and the quality high ... I'll wait?

The soup at Kidderminster. One of the few times I've had food at a ground.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The food at the Amex is hideously overpriced for the quality of it, think my pie count is two since it opened and one cup of bovril.

It is a definite no from me.

Two pies in 9 years isn't really a representative sample on which to judge quality

The sausage rolls are superb IMO with the top three being:

Sausage roll with red onion
Sausage roll with stilton and christmas chutney
Sausage roll with red leicester

no more expensive compared to most other grounds - palace was £5 for a small bottle of calsberg, which I think was the early bird price

The sausage rolls are truly excellent, but we never get them in WSL. Occasionally queue to go into Dick's just to have one.......................

Try going to the other PL grounds around the country. Amex has pie (or burger or hot dog), pint & crisps for £10. The food is amongst the best in the league and the pint is a real pint rather than a bottle that most clubs issue. Great value in my mind. Looking forward to Thursday though, great food last year and excellent beer.
Now the moan. East Upper must get the first pies out of the oven because I arrive 1 hour before KO and the pies are warm as opposed to baking hot every other season. Definitely been left for an hour. Also I notice that fewer people now use the kiosks. Queues are well down, and before you say 'contactless', upper east south kiosk is still cash.

I'm struggling to think of an away ground where the food was better - only one last season was Spurs. Similar quality pies and very good value due to meal deals

The Sausage rolls are great.

Yes, yes they are

This thread is such a first world problem, it’s almost obscene at Xmas too.

Just be grateful you a) don’t have to buy even if can afford b) there’s comparatively a great choice c) it’s comparatively better than most d) it’s comparatively priced. Oh, and stop whinging FFS for all those reasons!

Absolutely this. If you don't like it, don't have anything........simple really.

The food can be a bit patchy - I usually eat something if it's a 3pm game as a late lunch and have found :

Pies - usually good, occasionally the heating goes awry though. Can be lukewarm, can be as hot as the centre of hell itself. Particularly like the curry-themed pies
Burger - the 'prime' burgers are OK, although look like they've usually been compressed. I do like the jalapeno chicken burger when it's on
Fried chicken box w/beans - not seen this recently but it was good while it lasted
Hot dog - never had one, junior says they are OK but look a bit dry and bland to me
Outside the ground, the fish and chips is pretty good, akin to a reasonable chippy (if you ignore the premium matchday pricing)

Did I mention the sausage rolls (and the ongoing lack of availability in WSL) ?? No pizza in WSL either - have had this in the East and was alright.

Have noticed the queues moving MUCH faster now it's largely cashless - was able to get a hot drink at HT without missing any game time the last couple of matches

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Always found the pies and the new prime burger to be rather good, a little expensive but you know you are going to pay over the odds when you are at any stadium or arena.

^^^ This.

Nothing wrong with the pies or burgers. I don't think it's bad value either, if people think it's bad value they should point out where you can buy a comparable product for cheaper.

If you don't like it or can't afford it then don't buy anything :shrug:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
For me this is so simple, I'm surprised it's still an issue.

If I have time I go to my favourite cafe and have a fantastic full English before the match if I don't have time and choose to eat at the ground I expect to get fleeced and the food quality to not be as good.

Name me one stadium / event experience where the food is a reasonable price and the quality high ... I'll wait?

Bacon rolls at Cambridge United.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The soup at Kidderminster. One of the few times I've had food at a ground.

Ah yes, the legendary Kidderminster mulligatawny soup. I’ll also add Burton Albion’s ******s and mushy peas.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Out of interest, do they allow away fans into the bars after the match? Wouldn’t mind a look on Thursday.

I think the away bar is open after the match, don't think they let you go walkabout though.

Top tip. There is an upper level in the away section with a bar. I see loads of away fans complaining about the cramped concourse while those that found the bar have a better experience. Don't tell anyone though ;-)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I never eat between 2.30pm and 5pm, so I never feel the compulsion to buy a pie, burger at the footy as it would spoil my appetite for a later meal.

Last Saturday it wouldn't have been the food that led to your loss of appetite, but the standard of football that we served up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ah yes, the legendary Kidderminster mulligatawny soup. I’ll also add Burton Albion’s ******s and mushy peas.

Mulligatawny soup!, on the list of my all time top ten fave foods, I wonder if it's the same as the bland offerings they serve up in most Indian restaurants? May be I need to pay a visit to Aggborough sometime.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Mulligatawny soup!, on the list of my all time top ten fave foods, I wonder if it's the same as the bland offerings they serve up in most Indian restaurants? May be I need to pay a visit to Aggborough sometime.

It certainly wasn't bland, which is why I remember it. That day we planned to arrive by steam train on the Severn Valley Railway, unfortunately the timetable made it too complicated. Failing that, we decided to meet at the bar on the SVR at Kiddy, but on arrival it had a big sign in the window saying "no away fans". Roy Chuter put in a complaint to CAMRA citing discrimination against football fans, and they were kicked out of the Good Beer Guide for a couple of years.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It certainly wasn't bland, which is why I remember it. That day we planned to arrive by steam train on the Severn Valley Railway, unfortunately the timetable made it too complicated. Failing that, we decided to meet at the bar on the SVR at Kiddy, but on arrival it had a big sign in the window saying "no away fans". Roy Chuter put in a complaint to CAMRA citing discrimination against football fans, and they were kicked out of the Good Beer Guide for a couple of years.

Quite right too. the Albion, steam trains, mulligatawny soup, and real ale, what a day that would have made!

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I think the away bar is open after the match, don't think they let you go walkabout though.

Top tip. There is an upper level in the away section with a bar. I see loads of away fans complaining about the cramped concourse while those that found the bar have a better experience. Don't tell anyone though ;-)

Your secret’s safe with me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

From memory it was pretty descent, and served in a polystyrene cup. This was around 20 years ago though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think the pies are VFM so do not buy them and have never tried anything else other than the Bovril which is what it says Bovril at a sensible price, Having said that was tempted to buy a pie v Sheff Utd to see if they have improved.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I do not think the pies are VFM so do not buy them and have never tried anything else other than the Bovril which is what it says Bovril at a sensible price, Having said that was tempted to buy a pie v Sheff Utd to see if they have improved.

What theatre are you in this year.
Your Scrooge performance should be on a par with Alistair Sim :moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not Scrooge but why should I pay £4.30 for a pie that I, consider to be not very good. As I have said many times I consider them to be too dry with insufficient gravy hence I was tempted to buy one to see if they had improved that aspect of the mixture and whether I should reconsider my opinion of them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is another one of those times I feel you should make a list of ideas and complaints and send directly to Tony Bloom. Dude is investing and trying to make this into a big club and for that to happen the matchday experience must be top class as well. You guys in here are the hardcore fans (and customers) and it feels pretty likely he would be very interested in hearing what you think about matters like this.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've just worked out at the game Saturday you can get pints of tap water for nothing from the kiosks. Gutted I've spent probably hundreds over the years on bottles of water, but looking forward to my future savings.

We found this out too, earlier on this season. After the removal of bottle lids fiasco we thought we’d ask and yes- free pints of water! Just don’t tell Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here