Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren in team of the week

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ankergren had, what, one save to make this week ?

Sounded like James had a far better game, despite conceding one.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Thought Noone put in his usual energetic quality performance. Our best player in the first half and unlucky not to score a wonder goal in the second

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Ankergren was quality on Saturday. He may have only made one obvious save at the end, although he did tip one wide in the first half I think, but he was stong in coming for all the crosses, caught quite a few and the ones he punched he got great distance on them. City's best chance in the first half had Maynard scampering through on goal but Casper was lightening quick out to meet him and smothered the ball. Was a top performance, just didn't attract headlines as Bristol City didn't have that many decent shots at him.

James was lucky not to concede after parrying Barnes' effort straight to CMS who really should have buried it. Ankergren was far better IMO

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Ankergren was tidy the whole game....and one superb reflex save at the very end. His composure when playing sweeper makes all the difference in giving confidence to the defence. James made a couple of good saves, but hacked the ball anywhere when it was passed back to him.

Overall, Ankergrens 'award' is long overdue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ankergren was quality on Saturday. He may have only made one obvious save at the end, although he did tip one wide in the first half I think, but he was stong in coming for all the crosses, caught quite a few and the ones he punched he got great distance on them. City's best chance in the first half had Maynard scampering through on goal but Casper was lightening quick out to meet him and smothered the ball. Was a top performance, just didn't attract headlines as Bristol City didn't have that many decent shots at him.

James was lucky not to concede after parrying Barnes' effort straight to CMS who really should have buried it. Ankergren was far better IMO

Ankergren was tidy the whole game....and one superb reflex save at the very end. His composure when playing sweeper makes all the difference in giving confidence to the defence. James made a couple of good saves, but hacked the ball anywhere when it was passed back to him.

Overall, Ankergrens 'award' is long overdue.

Fair enough. I wasn't there so am just going from reports.

Having our goalie in Team of the Week suggests we were under the kosh and picked up the points thanks mainly to Ankergren, but it doesn't sound like it was that kind of match at all.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Clearly deserved for his consistent performances as he proves that he is possibly the best sweeper in this division. In goalkeeping terms it was a very solid all-round performance at Bristol which made the job of his defenders much easier but I doubt it was the best/most crucial goalkeeping performance of the week.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

:clap::clap: +1

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Fair enough. I wasn't there so am just going from reports.

Having our goalie in Team of the Week suggests we were under the kosh and picked up the points thanks mainly to Ankergren, but it doesn't sound like it was that kind of match at all.

I know what you mean, he didn't have a great deal to do, just everything he did, he did perfectly!

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Much as like to see our players recognised, I don't believe the FL team of the week is the least bit representative of who are the best players that week. Last season was a joke when we topped the league by a mile most of the season with very few player mentions. This season so far we've had 5 clean sheets out of 8 matches and how many of our superb defence have been recognised? (except Ankers)...unless a striker scores 2 goals in a game they don't get a mention and as for our midfielders since they go about their business so effectively they hardly get a notice. Gus has it spot on, we are a team not a collection of individuals so our results speak for themselves!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
we have only had Buckley and Noone in the lists before today ... I don't mind our players being consistently underrated - particularly by the opposition manager ;)

Aug 4, 2011
Noone & Dunk played unreal at Bristol.. But Ankergreen did make some good saves! Was pleased with his performance. Dont forget this season. He has served us well and think he should be rewarded for it :)

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I think Casper's appearance is really a tribute to our defensive unit as a whole including Bridcutt, of course.

They were all first class last week with a slight reservation over Painter who struggles with pace.

There is little drama, they just seem to go about their jobs well with good organisation and positioning and they tackle well and seem to win what they need to in the air. They retain the ball well when we get it back and distribution is good.

Casper didn't really have much to do but did his job very well and made a great save at the death.

To M

Sep 12, 2011
bristol had their chances yes, ankergren dealt with them well and we got the 3 points which is what matters the most

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here