Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to russia ?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Never been to Moscow but I've been to St Petersburg which is an amazing city. We were there in July which is the bridal season. Bridal season is Jun-August, because of the light, so we were told, and everywhere we looked, were brides having photos taken against monuments, statues, buildings. Some even wore blue bridal dresses in what is called St Petersburg Blue. We went to see Swan Lake and came out around 11.30, when it was still daylight, which they call the White Night. I remember something similar in Scotland, so that wasn't quite so novel for me. We visited Peterhof and Catherine Palace which are amazing buildings on a truly fantastic scale. We also went to Hermitage, in the City Centre, another amazing building which is the museum. Trouble was, it was so full of people, we could hardly move and couldn't get to see too much for all the talking heads. I'd like to go there at a quieter time. You may be luckier. We were able to buy things with our credit cards, but we could also use Euros for smaller items, but not everywhere.

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
Lived in Moscow from 1993-1996, absolutely love the place. Have a fair few friends over there. Went back for the first time to watch the England game, felt as though I had gone home.

One often hears bad things of Moscow from people who have been for only one or two days, it is therefore so refreshing to hear so much love for the place.

U plan to go back as often as possibl

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
This is a must - really hard to navigate otherwise.

I haven't been there since the end of Communism so I'm not the best judge (and I got arrested by the KGB which won't happen to anyone else).

Moscow's a great city. Buildings fantastic, some great art galleries and really friendly people. I loved it there - even New Year's Eve when we went out in temperatures of -17 C

Funny you should mention that you got done by the KGB as so did I ( set up in the hotel buying black market vodka!) only a trip to the station and a fine for their version of the 'police benevolent fund'. Loved Leningrad As it was, Moscow was good.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I`ve been 4 times,first in 1986 last in 1997,amazing country,stunningly beautifull women and people very freindly if you make the effort to get on with them.I started taking U.S Dollars which I understand are still accepted in major cities,used Roubles on last visit and got fair exchange rate.Moscow is now horrifically expensive but fantastic architecture,Art galleries and museums.I found quite a lot of Russians spoke German which was handy as I speak basic German myself,picked up a few Russian phrases.Don¬t be daunted by Russian alphabet,I found it suprisingly easy to pick up.Try the Georgian wines and Champagne which are really quite good and the more expensive Vodkas tend not to give too much of a hang-over.Go with an open mind and a smile on yor face and you will have a great time.Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here