Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple iPhone wins prestigious award

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can someone please explain this Apple Wars stuff? I will soon need a new phone, I've looked at the iphone and think it is easy for an idiot like me to use and suits what I want it for. If it has a shit camera? Great, I never use them anyway. I have never owned an Apple product in my life yet if I decide to buy an iphone on merit then a large number of people automatically see me a a trend following twat. Why? I don't really care, I'd just like to understand their reasoning.

It's a little thing about thinking that giving money to a large American corporation for something not worth the price tag makes you individual, special and wierdly anti-corporate.

It's a little thing about thinking that giving money to a large American corporation for something not worth the price tag makes you individual, special and wierdly anti-corporate.

I can believe that there are people who buy it for the brand or some perceived level of kudos. But this is one of the best selling electrical products on the planet, surely not every owner is like that, can't some people just need a new phone? Or is that ridiculous?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I can believe that there are people who buy it for the brand or some perceived level of kudos. But this is one of the best selling electrical products on the planet, surely not every owner is like that, can't some people just need a new phone? Or is that ridiculous?

I brought a mac 5 years ago, just for the kudos - I paid over the odds and it has been rubbish - I have no idea why I got an i Phone

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I love my iPhone. But I'm pretty sure in not a twat. I would say anyone who links the ownership of a specific item with their personality is more likely to be such a 'twat'.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I am a total mobile phone geek, I am on my 6th Phone in the last 12 months. I have owned at leas tone of all the current smartphone varieties on the market at one point or another and until the 3Gs was release I had resisted the iphones lure because it was poor in a few essential features, all the while I had an ipod touch.

My observations of the iphone are, its a great piece of kit and whilst ther eare a few shotcomings they are not major.

1. Camera is average but then I have had phones with supposed better cameras which are no good either, In fact the best photos I have taken with a camera was with my old k800i sony ericsson and that was only 3.2 megapixels.

2. No flash support on the web browser - A bit of a pian but realistically the only flash site I use is you tube and there is a built in you tube app anyway so whilst a sligth annoyance no big deal.

3. No multi-tasking - Not an issue because apps open and close so chuffing fast that it makes no difference. You can multi tak the ipod, sms and email apps in that they remain open where you left them and you can listen to music whilst using other apps so thats fine by me.

There isn't any other real problems with the device it is very fast, very easy to use and ther eis an app available many for free that does just about anything you want of a device like this. The email works perfetly and is just as usable as a blackberry, The safari web browser is MILES better than any other and yes whil Nokia use the same technology behind their browser, even on the N97 the web surfing experience is shite with the build in browser.

Put it this way its the first phone I have owned in probably three or four years that I am still very happy with after more than three months of ownership which for me says a lot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am a total mobile phone geek, I am on my 6th Phone in the last 12 months. I have owned at leas tone of all the current smartphone varieties on the market at one point or another and until the 3Gs was release I had resisted the iphones lure because it was poor in a few essential features, all the while I had an ipod touch.

My observations of the iphone are, its a great piece of kit and whilst ther eare a few shotcomings they are not major.

1. Camera is average but then I have had phones with supposed better cameras which are no good either, In fact the best photos I have taken with a camera was with my old k800i sony ericsson and that was only 3.2 megapixels.

2. No flash support on the web browser - A bit of a pian but realistically the only flash site I use is you tube and there is a built in you tube app anyway so whilst a sligth annoyance no big deal.

3. No multi-tasking - Not an issue because apps open and close so chuffing fast that it makes no difference. You can multi tak the ipod, sms and email apps in that they remain open where you left them and you can listen to music whilst using other apps so thats fine by me.

There isn't any other real problems with the device it is very fast, very easy to use and ther eis an app available many for free that does just about anything you want of a device like this. The email works perfetly and is just as usable as a blackberry, The safari web browser is MILES better than any other and yes whil Nokia use the same technology behind their browser, even on the N97 the web surfing experience is shite with the build in browser.

Put it this way its the first phone I have owned in probably three or four years that I am still very happy with after more than three months of ownership which for me says a lot.

Well yeah.....there is all that but....but....but...you're still a TWAT. Just cos.

:cry:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just to state:

Anyone who owns an iPhone simply because they think it's cool and gives them some kudos and status, and has little understanding of how to actually use one, is ACTUALLY A TWAT.

I hope we can all agree on that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is the company who backed the wrong horse for processors in 1993

point of order, cant let that go. they didnt back the wrong horse, it was the right chioce for the job ie graphics. big-endian processes and renders colour and such faster. its only because the business world that didnt give a crap and Microsoft that bet on Intel that it gained the traction it did. the best technology does not always win, todays x86 is a bodge atop a kludge, over an antiquated mess.

back to iPhones, the long and short is if you want a decent mp3 player, decent camera and decent phone, then do yourslef a favour and buy three devices that excell in those functions. if you want a catch all mediocre at everything, iphone is worth looking at and if you have an ipod/library of itunes then iphone is the winner.

just like iphone is all about the apps, ipod was all about the itunes, the mp3 player is nothing great. but thats what Apple do rather well, applications. and marketing.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Near flawless track record? Apple? :wozza::wozza:

This is the company who backed the wrong horse for processors in 1993 and spent until 2005 pumping millions in to ever more desperate advertising campaigns claiming their slow, energy wasting, heat belching processors were better than standard Intel units, before eventually skulking over to Intels side. Their tune switched from "G5s are 2x faster than Intel units" to "Xeons are 4x faster than G5s" in the space of a month.

This is the company that spent ten years claiming their operating system was better than Windows, then bought one in and told everyone their old one was actually shit, sorry 'bout that, please buy new hardware to use this one...

This is the company that spunked millions developing a television STB only for sales to be woeful.
Twice. (once in the 1990s and now with the AppleTV).

This is the company that has had more problems with faulty mobile device batteries than any other, from laptops to phones and media players.

Also: Newton, Pippin...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sorry.. I've got to bite....

Camera is "pretty good" but is still mid range for a phone. It has a high-end phone price point, it should have a high end phones camera (5+MP, optical zoom, reputable lens brand, etc)

I actually agree with you on that point. The camera is average.

Single tasking means you can't have two non-background applications open at once. Apple have historically been very, very bad at multitasking - MacOS didn't support it at all originally then had a bad implementation of it that could crash the entire system until 1999.

Until 1999... are you having a laugh?? It's 2009! OS X does multi tasking superbly. No one gives a shit about 1999. And to be fair, there's still only about 3 phones that multi task with any sort of success.

It IS featureless for its price point - compare the feature list of an iPhone to a similarly priced Nokia, Samsung, Palm or Blackberry and you'll see the Apple is a mid ranged device.

Feature list? Email, Calendar, Internet, Visual Voicemail, Camera, Video editing, Compass, Google Maps, App Store, iTunes and an iPod. all of which work brilliantly... What more could you want exactly?

Its web browser is Webkit Mobile which is also on every Nokia for about four years - before the iPhone even existed it was on the high end Nokia units.

You are having a laugh surely?? Safari on the iPhone is one of the best two web browsers on any mobile device out there now (The Palm Pre might just be as good) . The ONLY bad thing about it is the lack of flash.

Its mp3 player is an iPod which I'd well challenge as being "best" - its only the best if you've been sucked in to iPod brand worship before getting the phone.

So it's got the most up-to-date version of the biggest selling mp3 player of all time built in.. and that's a bad thing? Right.

Look I'm very impartial, if I see a phone that's better, I'd get it. I honestly think the only handsets that get close are the Palm Pre and the New Nokia N900 which still isn't out yet. If you can find me a phone that does what the iPhone does as well as the iPhone does. I'd be very glad to hear about it..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't have one, I just use a fairly bog standard mobile but that's pretty much okay for me at the moment. I can't justifythe cost of a better phone but I think I-Phones look pretty good. I think if you enjoy using it, and if it does everything you need then I can't see why that makes anyone a twat.

I'm sure one day I will catch up with technology just as it changes!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Can someone please explain this Apple Wars stuff? I will soon need a new phone, I've looked at the iphone and think it is easy for an idiot like me to use and suits what I want it for. If it has a shit camera? Great, I never use them anyway. I have never owned an Apple product in my life yet if I decide to buy an iphone on merit then a large number of people automatically see me a a trend following twat. Why? I don't really care, I'd just like to understand their reasoning.

Will it survive your washing machine?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I played a little golf game on my mates iphone. Its GENIUS.

I want one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here