Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Albion a tin pot club?

Icy Gull said:
All very well having the ground, we are gonna need someone to bankroll the team. Reading got lucky and got the whole package. Huddersfield is the other end of the equation and waht we are likely to be without the elusive sugar daddy imo.

True, we will definitely get the ground and the club I think will massively grow, but a John Madjeski/Dave Whelan figure may not arrive for another generation (if ever).

But that doesn't bother me in the slightest, Premiership football is not the be-all and end-all, as I think you also believe with your other comments.

With a modern ground allied with the support from a fan base that I think will quickly reach Reading's current size with Falmer, that together will be enough to turn us into a permanent mid-table Championship club. I think we have more potential than Huddersfield but even they will get a crack at the Championship in the next season or two and have a chance to turn themselves into something bigger.

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Reading for all their glory are not a happy club fan wise Mr Mad has upped season tickets big time to pay for next season .. the existing £410 ticket on the halfway line upper tier is now costing £585 !:glare:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
RoyalAli said:
I don't think anybody has a valid argument against the increases really.

We don't want to be Madejski's toy, but when we're asked to pay £150 more for Premiership football, (after years of bargain basement ST prices) people kick up a fuss, despite the promise that the club are going to spend in the summer and bring in 4-5 players.

Where do the plastics think the money is going to come from for players?

Agreed, I would hazard a guess that the season ticket prices at Reading are nothing compared to Manure or Chelski, I wonder what Wigan charge though.

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
RoyalAli said:
I don't think anybody has a valid argument against the increases really.

We don't want to be Madejski's toy, but when we're asked to pay £150 more for Premiership football, (after years of bargain basement ST prices) people kick up a fuss, despite the promise that the club are going to spend in the summer and bring in 4-5 players.

Where do the plastics think the money is going to come from for players?

Indeed RA but will they go down if you come straight back down .. me thinks not but seriously hoping you dont do a Sunderland

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think that currently we rub shoulders on and off the park with the likes of Torquay, Rushden, chesterfield, rotherham and in no way are anything more than that. People hark back to the good old days of 30k gates blah blah blah but Albion have a fickle bunch of fans, worst than most and unless we have the ground and are beating, United, Chelsea and Barcelona on a regular basis we will never get gates like that again.

At oen time in football any team had achance of a spell in the big time i.e Carlisle, Swansea have ahad a spell up there but thses days it's never going to happen to even break teh exclusive champions league 4 of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool take some doing these days the times of the likes of Southampton, Qpr, Watford running Liverpool etc close for teh title are long long gone, Football as a competotion for everyone is long gone it's now a competition between the cheque books.

Sad but true - i just hope we occasionally get a big team in the cup - sad isn't it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We are a transitional club, or will be.

I am not bothered if we never get into the Prem. The second game I went to was the sit in vs Southend, so all I have known is off and on the field trouble. Of course it would be nice.

McGhee admitted that we would have been swinging from the rafters (when we played at the Mad), if we were in the same position as Reading, but I am not sure if that was just a bit of sniping.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Cheeky Monkey said:
We always have been and always will be too big for the lower two divisions.

:lolol:

Hasn't the club spent the majority of its history in the lower two divisions?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I wouldn't listen to word of the tripe that McGhee spouts - unfortunately it seems most of our players did this season.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Albion have spent 79 seasons in the Football League. The breakdown is as follows:

4 seasons in the top flight
18 seasons in the second division
50 seasons in the third division
7 season in the dungeon

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Albion have spent 79 seasons in the Football League. The breakdown is as follows:

4 seasons in the top flight
18 seasons in the second division
50 seasons in the third division
7 season in the dungeon

Interesting.

We were rising up and fast becoming a standard second tier side, until the money troubles came.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In terms of infrastructure we are indeed currently a two-bob, tin-pot, tuppenny-ha'penny outfit. How we managed to spend two seasons in the 2nd level of English football is almost a modern miracle, especially as when we DID have a bigger ground of our own and maybe bigger plans we spent most of our existence in the bottom two divisions.

This won't change until we get a proper ground, then we can hopefully get to the same level as clubs like Norwich, Ipswich, Reading, Wigan etc.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, that should be THREE seasons, I forgot the relegation under Coppell.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
RoyalAli said:
Where can you find those statistics?

Taken from the history section of the Brighton Mad site. I just had a look for Reading's equivalent site but there doesn't seem to be one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I just had a look for Reading's equivalent site but there doesn't seem to be one.

Tin pot club ? :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think we have always benn regarded by most football fans as a nice little seaside club, good for a weekend out. A bit like Blackpool.

Only the fact that we have had to endure so much crap have we had some fans saying how wonderful we are....but that tends to be the so called "uberfans" ie supporters club people etc. All in all people do not give a flying toss about Brighton and quite honestly they are fed up with hearing about our problems with the ground. ( Working in london bears that out chatting with fans of other teams every day)

We will always be a middle of the road sort of team, flitting between the third and second division.

I have been fortunate in my life seeing the glory years, First Division football for 4 years, and the pinnacle of the clubs history, a FA Cup Final. nothing we have done since can come anywhere near matching that.

If ( and I am still convinced we wont) but If we get Falmer, I still dont see this great renaissance. Lets face it, we will be horrendously in debt ( the costs 5 years ago were supposed to be £50 million) and how then are we supposed to be affording the sort of players to get us up to the higher echelons...Reading can spend £1million on a striker....we have never spent anything like that in our history ( Half a million on Richie)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I imagine a lot of teams relate Brighton to good away support in the same way we do for teams like Plymouth , Stoke etc
Apart from that the older generation I imagine see Brighton as an average sized club ...perhaps of lower championship status. I'd imagine most people under 35 see us as another Brentford / Southend / Oldham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here