Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] At what age should kids have smartphones - if at all?

Should kids under 12 have unlimited use of smartphones?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Yes but restricted to certain times of the day

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My business is run from my phone from booking jobs, quoting jobs to invoicing jobs. If you can’t contact the customer quickly they will be off somewhere else. I lost £200 this morning for an hours work because I missed a call and didn’t check the phone for 45 minutes.
Life is also less complicated with a smart phone parking the car, Match day tickets, plane tickets, train tickets immediate banking and fraud alerts.
Old people moaning about kids with smart phones doesn’t make any sense to me in 2024.
Going from A to B used to involve a multitude of maps, atlases and searching for a telephone box....so much more convenient nowadays.
I seem to remember in the seventies, some churchy type rector, was trying to get those little war books banned as it invoked violence in kids. There was talk the same was to be said for shoot! magazine as it associated with the football hooliganism of the time(70s). Now, mobile phones are the root cause of everything
The real risk are the phone zombies you encounter wandering across the road as you drive around...thats how most of civilisation will wipe themselves out ???

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Going from A to B used to involve a multitude of maps, atlases and searching for a telephone box....so much more convenient nowadays.
I seem to remember in the seventies, some churchy type rector, was trying to get those little war books banned as it invoked violence in kids. There was talk the same was to be said for shoot! magazine as it associated with the football hooliganism of the time(70s). Now, mobile phones are the root cause of everything
The real risk are the phone zombies you encounter wandering across the road as you drive around...thats how most of civilisation will wipe themselves out ???
Everyone on this thread probably wakes up and checks the phone before anything else🤣

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Everyone on this thread probably wakes up and checks the phone before anything else🤣
I use the alarm on my phone so I wake up with my phone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh I used to love those little war books ..that and doing fake battles with friends using ‘little’ soldiers’

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I'm 58. Haven't got one yet.

Although work have forced one on me, mainly for two-step authorisation to use the computer at home!

67 and have had mobile phone since early days. Still have phone which use regularly for calls/texts. Have no inclination however much wife/children try to persuade me to have smartphone.
Missing out on very little. Another bonus my phone costs circa £35 to replace so is not very nickable.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I found this story a little sad. I have mixed views about kids as young as 11 using smartphones especially at school, in the least I think they should be limited to certain times of the day given most kids seem use their phones to access social media which can have all sorts of mental health risks associated with it.

I can see their use for safety/keeping in touch with parents but do they need to have them whilst on school grounds?

At the end of the day, I think it is up to parents but should a child be disadvantaged/made to feel excluded in an educational environment because they don’t have one?

They should have one before they are allowed to cross the road on their own as a smart phone is like a forcefield and allows them to walk anywhere without looking!

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
I got my first phone when I was 11, it didn't need to be earlier or later. If I had one earlier, I would've probably been exposed to stuff too early on and got a bit lazy but any later and I would've lost contact with my primary school friends.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Increasing numbers of parents are using tracking apps - even AirTags - to keep tabs on their children.

You’d think children would react negatively to that but apparently kids actually like their parents knowing where they are every minute of the day
I definitely did not like it. I used to have location stuff on but eventually I disabled it as I realised my parents were checking me literally every couple of minutes. I'd come home and they'd talk about how I was in this restaurant and on this specific road. Not acceptable imo.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
then we had the video nasty making kids into muders and computer games making them violent introverts. back further pop music gave us problems with mods and rockers. there's always a problem with new stuff.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do you take phone to bedroom ?? mine left downstairs and normally have to ring it in the morning to find it.
I do indeed sometimes emergency jobs come through during the night. Unfortunately I have to respond to the customers who spend a lot during the year and expect me to turn up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here