Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Azure need to booted out.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone remember for the first couple of games (it was certainly at the Doncaster game) that there were people outside selling pie from tray things tied round their neck? It seems like a good solution to the "No catering trucks" issue, at least you can eat outside then.

Then again perhaps they just weren't successful and that's why we don't see them any more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does anyone remember for the first couple of games (it was certainly at the Doncaster game) that there were people outside selling pie from tray things tied round their neck? It seems like a good solution to the "No catering trucks" issue, at least you can eat outside then.

Then again perhaps they just weren't successful and that's why we don't see them any more.

We bought a hot dog from a young lad as you describe a few games back. It was a mighty relief as the WSU kiosk queues were mahoosive at the time.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
We bought a hot dog from a young lad as you describe a few games back. It was a mighty relief as the WSU kiosk queues were mahoosive at the time.

Oh good. I don't see them coming up from the station end, but they may be round the other side I suppose? Or perhaps I just arrive too late and they've sold out.

Anyway yes, that sort of thing seems like a potentially handy solution without worrying about the evacuation issues (no matter how spurious they are).

Changing direction slightly, I know people want chips but the two away games I've been to this season (Reading and Saints) didn't seem to have chips on sale either? Or am I just picking the chipless games?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
At the risk of sounding like I'm defending everything Azure does (I certainly wouldn't), you appear to be criticising the very people who bring you the local ales, pies and open concourses.

Or rather, it seems you're congratulating them and criticising them in one go.

Pathetic post, why bother replying so often when you have nothing of value to add?
The quality of the pies, dark star, harveys, fosters in bottles is NOTHING to do with them, they are in place to facilitate timely & efficient delivery of the above which they are NOT.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I work as a steward (spare me the hate) Often on WSU H block. I have found often at times that the caterers have filled bags (even bin bags) full of food, both before kick off and after. I only ever found tickets available for the previous FA Cup games where I've gone as a fan as opposed as a steward, and only came to realise the frustration of having no food. I had to resort to a veggie burger against Newcastle, tasted shocking. But I think management is their biggest problem. The manager on WSU appears to be talking more on her phone than doing her job, I spoke to a couple of team leaders who state they can't communicate with other kiosks very well because they don't have radio links to managers, who are then of course walking around. If they helped create a more direct link to other parts of the stadium to find out where areas have more than they need. I believe it was against Burnley that WSU had more hot dogs than really needed, so they sent them else where. But of course, ordering more may actually be the biggest help.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Sorry - this was on the WSU concourse.

Ah ok. Thinking of it I might have seen them on the WSU concourse before. However, I was referring to them being outside the ground. If they still have them inside it can't be much effort to move them back outside, unless they are logistics issues in getting them more stock etc...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The simple equation for me is:

Buying food and drink from the club = better players = more wins.

I don't mind paying more to buy something from the club that I could get cheaper elsewhere. The cinema - yes, it narks me a bit. The Albion - not one jot. My relationship with the club is such that I WANT to give them money and I want them to find as many ways as possible for me to do that.

On Saturday we stopped in WH Smith at Brighton Station to get some cough sweets as my little girl was struggling a bit. Whilst paying the guy said "any offer from the counter?" and indicated an array of goods that were, supposedly, at some sort of special price. My immediate reaction was to decline - we were heading to the Amex and we'd spend our money there. Then, the thoughts of the WSU queues came to mind and I found myself paying a quid for some Haribo. I'd much rather pay the club £2 for the same, but I don't want to queue for 20 minutes to do so, and the WSU queues were pretty sizeable when we arrived, and we weren't that late.

Last edited:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The simple equation for me is:

Buying food and drink from the club = better players = more wins.

I don't mind paying more to buy something from the club that I could get cheaper elsewhere. The cinema - yes, it narks me a bit. The Albion - not one jot. My relationship with the club is such that I WANT to give them money and I want them to find as many ways as possible at doing that.

On Saturday we stopped in WH Smith at Brighton Station to get some cough sweets as my little girl was struggling a bit. Whilst paying the guy said "any offer from the counter?" and indicated an array of goods that were, supposedly, at some sort of special price. My immediate reaction was to decline - we were heading to the Amex and we'd spend our money there. Then, the thoughts of the WSU queues came to mind and I found myself paying a quid for some Haribo. I'd much rather pay the club £2 for the same, but I don't want to queue for 20 minutes to do so, and the WSU queues were pretty sizeable when we arrived, and we weren't that late.

Do they actually have Haribo for sale on the concourse? If not they certainly should. Pie, Pepsi and a bag of Haribo would make me a stupidly happy man.

I know what you mean about paying more though. On Saturday I actually had a bottle of Coke with me, yet still attempted to buy Pepsi at the ground. I failed and had to settle for Tango, but still I was happy to pay them the money (and obviously as we won whilst I was drinking Tango I daren't change back and effect the team's luck).

Nov 20, 2003
hove
ok what I dont get is that Richard Hebbard is ex met police so what qualifies him to deal with catering yes I can understand stewarding ect which I have to say has improved greatly .Surely they need to have someone who understands the nuts and bolts of the issues to deal with Azure ,and this will add to a better understanding to future matches.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do they actually have Haribo for sale on the concourse? If not they certainly should. Pie, Pepsi and a bag of Haribo would make me a stupidly happy man.

They have sweets - I'm not sure what they are - I don't get a look in once purchased!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
ok what I dont get is that Richard Hebbard is ex met police so what qualifies him to deal with catering yes I can understand stewarding ect which I have to say has improved greatly .Surely they need to have someone who understands the nuts and bolts of the issues to deal with Azure ,and this will add to a better understanding to future matches.

I would have thought that all RH's involvement is to ensure adequate supplies delivered on a matchday

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Elliott deals with the catering.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
no thats Azuers job they have complete control over match day and non match day catering ,staffing ordering ,health and safety and all the logistics that involves .im sure he has more important things to worry about with all his stewarding logistics than how many pies are in the wsu ect .Its about problem solving, and catering experience is alot different to most day to day jobs . lets say gordon ramsey wanted to be a steward for a week shoundt be to hard for him ,but ask a steward to run a 3 star rest. for a week it wont happen they need loads of training and years of experience this is not a personal atack on RH its just how it is and he will need years of catering know how to sort it on his own

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
yes but he has been brought in to sort out 1901 issues he has no more experience of fast food operations than the next man

I take your opint and understand it so the obvious answer is why cant the club employ even on short contract or on a consultancy basis some body with the required knowledge. I am sure that ther are many suitably qualified people about possibly early retired not an OAP like me but somebody who has been made redundant by a large commercial catering company in his early 50s. I am sure an advert in the Hotel and Caterer would soon bring forward a number of suitable applicants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here