Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

“Be careful what you wish for Brighton fans” - How the football world owes us an apology

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It’s a year ago that GP came in and some fans opinions have changed, so it’s interesting to most Albion fans to hear other fans thoughts...I think, but there is absolutely no reason for you to keep contributing if it pisses you off. Don’t like the thread? Then ignore it, how hard can it be? You can’t help but join in though can you?
I enjoy discussing football (and politics) - and there really is no reason to keep rehashing old arguments.

Yes - some people may have changed their minds - the problem is that these are not the people posting the same old stuff on here - it is the same people who posted that same old stuff a year ago.

Speak to HWT, he’s your man for advice on ignoring posters who piss you off....it’s gonna be a long list though :lolol:
I don't gt pissed off - I enjoy discussing football - and if that veers into a discussion about Hughton on occasions then it is always as a result of someone else bringing up the topic.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The argument has been done to death - yet people keep feeling the need to go back to it.

Did I start any of the threads about Hughton over the past few days? - in fact, have I every started a single thread about Hughton? If people didn't feel the need to rehash (and distort) history then I would have no need to comment.

Nah - don't like the guy that much - I find him a bit pompous :wink:

But why do you care so much about CH?

I understand you don’t actually support us. Is that right?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoy discussing football (and politics) - and there really is no reason to keep rehashing old arguments.

Yes - some people may have changed their minds - the problem is that these are not the people posting the same old stuff on here - it is the same people who posted that same old stuff a year ago.

I don't gt pissed off - I enjoy discussing football - and if that veers into a discussion about Hughton on occasions then it is always as a result of someone else bringing up the topic.

I do have an issue with one of your assertions. Chris Hughton DID NOT trust young inexperienced players in anything other than a cameo in his time as a PL manager with Brighton. I have seen various posts where you suggest he did...but at other clubs and not in a relegation battle as far as I’m aware.

GP has been a breath of fresh air on that front...FACT!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It is not.

This is not the thread for this discussion (the Bear Pit is thataway ^) but, luckily, most people (under 50 at least) are now way beyond the simplistic notion that 'positive discrimination is itself racism'.

was replying to quotes that were on this thread, so it's part of the discussion, if the mods want to remove my post and put it in the Bear Pit that is up to them. I stand by what I said. I don't think that I have written anything that is offensive, maybe it's how people read it. I apologise if people think that my comments are of a racial nature, but they are not intended to be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First of all, credit to John Barnes for engaging with Albion fans on social media and risking opening himself to predictable accusations.

As for his comment: ("To all the Brighton fans.. if I was a Brighton fan, I’d be delighted graham potter is there and now would be happy that mr bloom took the decision he did.... but that doesn’t mean that ch DESERVED to be sacked..that’s the ONLY point I’m making.. not that it was the wrong decision") what exactly does it take for a manager to deserve to be sacked? Poor results coupled with dreadful football and a sense that he has run out of ideas? If so, then I'm afraid that CH ticked all three boxes.

Chris Hughton was and is a great guy, a dignified presence on the touchline and when representing the club in the media, and a role model for leadership. If that means that he deserved to keep his job, then the sacking was unfair. But those are not the criteria on which football managers are judged.

Neither can a chairman afford to let a manager keep his job purely out of gratitude and relief that a club has avoided relegation (thanks in the end to Palace beating Cardiff, because we looked incapable of helping ourselves by the end). We were going backwards and the next logical step was relegation.

TB's obligation is to himself first as the owner and major investor, and after that to his staff - many of whom would be made redundant in the event of relegation - and then to us as fans. He had to do what he thought was best for the club. And he did.

Best post of the thread. So far!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
was replying to quotes that were on this thread, so it's part of the discussion, if the mods want to remove my post and put it in the Bear Pit that is up to them. I stand by what I said. I don't think that I have written anything that is offensive, maybe it's how people read it. I apologise if people think that my comments are of a racial nature, but they are not intended to be.

What you have written is not offensive (certainly not to me and I doubt to anyone else). I just think it is wrong, as do most people who have looked at it carefully. That's why the PL has the rules that it has.

I will never, ever, forget what John Barnes went through (with so much dignity) as a player. When he says there's a problem I will listen to him. And when he says something is the right solution, I will listen to him again.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
What are you on 24/7 standby for whenever someone criticises Chris Hughton? [emoji3]

People mention him and you are summoned against your will?

I joined this forum in July 2015 - you joined the forum about 14 months ago - and yet you have to jump on the bandwagon of throwing a wobbly simply because I don't buy into all the massive mood swings on the forum.

First game of the season - post after post about how a 3-0 win at Watford proved Bloom was right to sack Hughton and Potterball was the best thing since sliced bread. I cautioned - stating that Watford looked a poor team and people shouldn't read too much into the win. Four games in and loses to Southampton and Man City and post after post going on about how the team were in major trouble. I cautioned - stating that one win doesn't mean the team are world-beaters and a couple of losses doesn't mean relegation beckoned. And it was the same for most of the season - mood swing after mood swing. Interspersed with that we regularly got posts after a win about how dire Hughton was and after a loss that the team was playing like they did for Hughton. I repeatedly pointed out that this is a different team with six new players and £80million spent. Yet the cry goes up - but Hughton wouldn't have signed those players and wouldn't have played the kids. We have no idea what Hughton would or would not have done if he were here. His record speaks for itself - promotion with Newcastle, promotion with Brighton, play-offs with Birmingham, five seasons of PL management and never been relegated despite managing teams that had bottom three budgets. The guy is one of the more under-rated managers in English football and he deserves credit for what he has achieved with the teams he has managed.

He was sacked 14 months ago - he is part of the history of the club and played a huge role in getting the club to the PL and keeping it there for two seasons. That chapter is over - Potter has done well this season - and hopefully will do better next season. It really is time to stop all this shite and just let it go. I would much prefer to be discussing what is happening today - not what happened in May 2019 and the merits of the decision - it really has been done to death.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
he would be mortified if he knew you were still doing this, now :rolleyes:

I think he would be disappointed with all the nonsense that is spoken about him on here - and the tone of the nonsense. The guy is gone since May 2019 - time for some people to start showing him the respect he deserves for what he achieved at this club and not constantly harping on about what the football was like towards the back-end of last season.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What you have written is not offensive (certainly not to me and I doubt to anyone else). I just think it is wrong, as do most people who have looked at it carefully. That's why the PL has the rules that it has.

I will never, ever, forget what John Barnes went through (with so much dignity) as a player. When he says there's a problem I will listen to him. And when he says something is the right solution, I will listen to him again.

Nobody else has said I was wrong. I fully agree with you in regards to what John Barnes went through. What I find offensive is the fact that there is a rule that 1 BAME person must be into for a managers position when we all know this won't happen.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think he would be disappointed with all the nonsense that is spoken about him on here - and the tone of the nonsense. The guy is gone since May 2019 - time for some people to start showing him the respect he deserves for what he achieved at this club and not constantly harping on about what the football was like towards the back-end of last season.

There is a lot of respect for him.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I joined this forum in July 2015 - you joined the forum about 14 months ago - and yet you have to jump on the bandwagon of throwing a wobbly simply because I don't buy into all the massive mood swings on the forum.

I know that this is also old ground, but it is obviously easier for you to be emotionally detached from the ups and downs because you don't actually support Brighton, don't go to games, as far as I'm aware have no connection with Sussex, don't live in England and have consistently refused to say who you do support and why we have been lucky enough to be selected as the recipients of your expert advice about how we should best go about supporting our own football team. I really don't know how we managed before July 2015.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Nobody else has said I was wrong. I fully agree with you in regards to what John Barnes went through. What I find offensive is the fact that there is a rule that 1 BAME person must be into for a managers position when we all know this won't happen.

I don't think many people want to get into discussions again about whether the Rooney Rule is "racist" and/or "offensive" or if they do this isn't the thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know that this is also old ground, but it is obviously easier for you to be emotionally detached from the ups and downs because you don't actually support Brighton, don't go to games, as far as I'm aware have no connection with Sussex, don't live in England and have consistently refused to say who you do support and why we have been lucky enough to be selected as the recipients of your expert advice about how we should best go about supporting our own football team. I really don't know how we managed before July 2015.

:goal:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here