Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Funny reading about Leeds and Brighton supporters toing and froing about White on social media etc. Bottom line is that he's not "Premier League experienced"......a statement that keeps cropping up when any potential signing is mentioned on here ?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This, in bucket loads.
We’ve got a prime asset on our hands. Keep our nerve (which of course we will) and we get a lovely win/win. White plays for us for a season or two and we then sell for £50/£60m. Liverpool and Chelsea are after him FFS....I doubt both clubs get it wrong that often.

Until they actually bid for him, I'd take any reports of Chelsea or Liverpool interest with a large pinch of salt.

Reporters and journalists throw those clubs names into a story as bait for their large fan base.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Why are so many utterly convinced that he’s worth more? He’s totally unproven at this level... he’s not the messiah, just a talented championship player ... that said, I don’t think people are desperate to sell him, but if his heart lies elsewhere I see little alternative.

I say again, if people on here are to be believed Dunk is in the 45 million zone, yet White is apparently worth zillions more because he’s 21!!! Ffs ... people need to seriously get a grip.

He has a lot to learn imho, loads in fact.

Best of luck to him, but whichever way this slices I wouldn’t want to be under the level of pressure he’s going to face. Poor lad, two bad games is all it’ll take.

If the rumours are correct Liverpool, Chelsea are interested. Surely they know their football and believe he can make it at prem level.
Bielsa believes he is good enough.
Graham Potter believes he is good enough for this league.

You are not convinced - but with respect I'll take their views above yours.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Until they actually bid for him, I'd take any reports of Chelsea or Liverpool interest with a large pinch of salt.

Reporters and journalists throw those clubs names into a story as bait for their large fan base.

What, the Daily Star could be making it up..... never!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why does Dunk or Webster have to go? for starters we often play a back 3 and that could simple mean White competes with BDB for that 3rd spot in a back 3.

Don't forget Veltman. He'll be an option at RB too but has played the majority of his career at CB.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If the rumours are correct Liverpool, Chelsea are interested. Surely they know their football and believe he can make it at prem level.
Bielsa believes he is good enough.
Graham Potter believes he is good enough for this league.

You are not convinced - but with respect I'll take their views above yours.

Obviously that’s a given... BUT, in the interests of fairness, I’m not suggesting he’s ‘not good enough’ moreover that he’s not yet worth silly money ... that’s the basis of my point.

But if the market dictates it, I’m happy to take the 50 million (he’s not worth, yet) and run with it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Even if his heart lies elsewhere (as Stephens once did), This is where you need to detach yourself from fan mode and into a business protecting its commercial interests.

bolstering a relegation rival makes absolutely zero sense, giving away a prized asset cheaply makes zero sense, setting a precedent that if you have a hissy fit or make demands the business will cave in against its own interests, makes zero sense.

With the greatest respect to White and his talents he can wish for whatever he wants, hes under a contract that he signed of his own choice under his agents advice.

He'd be first team here next season, and I'm pretty confident the club would let him go to a top 6 (non competing mini league) club.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

And to add to this, he’s under contract for 2-3 more seasons. There’s no pressure on us to make this decision now.

In fact it’d be silly to, get to the end of next season and then we will have decisions to make. And the Liverpool’s and City’s would be far more keen on spending a bigger amount once he’s proven in the Prem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

And to add to this, he’s under contract for 2-3 more seasons. There’s no pressure on us to make this decision now.

In fact it’d be silly to, get to the end of next season and then we will have decisions to make. And the Liverpool’s and City’s would be far more keen on spending a bigger amount once he’s proven in the Prem.

Where has the development that we have an additional year option come from?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Obviously that’s a given... BUT, in the interests of fairness, I’m not suggesting he’s ‘not good enough’ moreover that he’s not yet worth silly money ... that’s the basis of my point.

But if the market dictates it, I’m happy to take the 50 million (he’s not worth, yet) and run with it.

Well that is the decision TB is potentially got to take.
I'm hoping that as he has aspirations of us being a top ten club he will refuse.
Top ten clubs don't sell their hot prospects.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well that is the decision TB is potentially got to take.
I'm hoping that as he has aspirations of us being a top ten club he will refuse.
Top ten clubs don't sell their hot prospects.

Yes, but we’re a bottom six club and have been for three seasons. Our aspirations are indeed top ten but this might have come along too soon re holding on to a player with top six aspirations ... how can we expect him to be happy? Unless he’s a guaranteed first pick and we embellish our current squad with three or four more top level signings... ?!?

That said, personally for me, he’s not a top six player far more likely to be bottom half either with us (current squad) or indeed Leeds.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
WOW Seen it all now! [emoji85]

https://footballmerchuk.bigcartel.com/product/free-ben-white

e1a6615d95aa710bc763da5423be669d.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, but we’re a bottom six club and have been for three seasons. Our aspirations are indeed top ten but this might have come along too soon re holding on to a player with top six aspirations ... how can we expect him to be happy? Unless he’s a guaranteed first pick and we embellish our current squad with three or four more top level signings... ?!?

That said, personally for me, he’s not a top six player far more likely to be bottom half either with us (current squad) or indeed Leeds.

Holding on to a player we own and under contract?

No one is guaranteed a first team place, no manager worth his salary would agree to that, especially someone who has never experienced the level of football in the PL.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

You’re making a lot of leaps about Ben White as a character there.

You say he has top 6 aspirations and will demand guaranteed first team pick, then on the other hand you say BW is not a top 6 player.

GP does not have “this is my best 11 mate” approach. He will change from game to game and mid game. There is no question White will be heavily involved with us. Ashworth and Potter have been fairly definite on that so that is not an issue.

If Liverpool or City come in, yes that would likely turn his head. But that’s no different to any player. It may happen for Maupay next year, or Trossard. A consequence of having a good squad.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I see #freebenwhite has gained momentum on twitter. Thing Leeds don't seem to grasp is if we do 'free Ben White' it almost certainly won't be to them. Got to love all this fuss over little old Brighton's backup CB.
Got to thank Leeds if we do sell him for drumming up all the hype and fake bulls**tery around this, bet Tony's rubbing his hands with every non-story counting a couple of quid more onto his value.
Keep up the good work Leeds.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

If he is good enough he will play in the first team. I believe he is and will be playing regularly.
Why are you not excited to see him line up with Dunk, Webster, Lamptey etc?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Holding on to a player we own and under contract?

No one is guaranteed a first team place, no manager worth his salary would agree to that, especially someone who has never experienced the level of football in the PL.

Exactly. Even the likes of Martial, Tammy, Foden haven’t always been automatic picks.

It’s a good sign that we have 1) a tactically new school flexible manager and 2) that we’re building a strong squad.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

A bottom six club that’s just managed to attract a CL/PL winner and CL semi-finalist...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here