Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best ever Brighton manager?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely staggered people are saying Potter. If the question was 'best manager at changing playing style' maybe, but i still think Poyet would win that given where we were at the time.

Potter has barely had an impact on the results yet, he cannot possibly be considered the best surely?

Anyway, loads of candidates in my lifetime all in different scenarios. Gritt, Adams, McGhee, Slade, Gus and Hughton all have fabulous achievements. I'd probably say Hughton just pips them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is clearly a very subjective thing. I would say that Hughton, Mullery, Poyet, Adams, Gritt and Mcghee all performed wonders for us during their time in charge based on the level we were at at the time - I couldn't actually split them. He doesn't get as much appreciation as the others but what McGhee did with that squad by getting us promoted and then keeping us up, with less financial assistance than the others, was remarkable and hugely under rated.

I'm clearly a massive Potter fan and love what he is doing for us at the moment, and I do think he will go on to be recognised as the best manager we've ever had, but his achievements for us aren't quite up there with the managers named above yet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'd go for Hughton: we were in the depths of the second tier when he took over. He saved us from relegation, got us promoted and kept us up.

I'd also big up Poyet, it may have ended badly but he also got us from the depths, got us promoted and nearly did a second time. He also had us playing some great football.

But I'd also like to put in a word for Pat Saward. He took over when we had little money (having sponsored walks to buy players!) but he put a team together on a shoestring, played some great football and got us up. It was my first promotion and you'll always remember your first.

EDIT: I think Potter will end up as our best though

We will never know how great Poyet could have been. Filed under unfulfilled potential ruined by a strop. Mullery is the intuitive answer but how much of his success was inherited from Taylor ? Potter may well become our most successful manager. He inherited a limited (at this level) squad but a highly rated academy and our best ever owner. It is just so difficult to take context out of the equation when making comparisons. I am finding it a lot easier to be decisive in the pancake topping thread !

Edit; let’s not forget Micky Adams. That was a magical period of success at the club and it could be argued derived from the manager. Certainly not facilities or cash.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Absolutely staggered people are saying Potter. If the question was 'best manager at changing playing style' maybe, but i still think Poyet would win that given where we were at the time.

Potter has barely had an impact on the results yet, he cannot possibly be considered the best surely?

Anyway, loads of candidates in my lifetime all in different scenarios. Gritt, Adams, McGhee, Slade, Gus and Hughton all have fabulous achievements. I'd probably say Hughton just pips them.

Good argument and examples -
Except Potter is managing at a much higher level than all of those (and I include Hughton in that as the Premier League has got tougher the last couple is seasons and Hughton was very fortunate to keep us up thanks to other results) so it’s always going to be tougher for Potter to make an impact from all of those

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
It’s Potter. He really is fantastic.

Hughton was/is a very good championship manager, but struggles in the Premier League, hence the backs to the wall football we resorted to. Norwich fans told us that.

Potter achieved our record PL points in his first season with a squad largely created under the previous management and while promoting youth to the first team squad. And we are now regularly outplaying top 6 opposition.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good argument and examples -
Except Potter is managing at a much higher level than all of those (and I include Hughton in that as the Premier League has got tougher the last couple is seasons and Hughton was very fortunate to keep us up thanks to other results) so it’s always going to be tougher for Potter to make an impact from all of those

Yes but Mark McGhee had to play Mark McCammon and Chris McPhee up front sometimes which Potter and Hughton never had to so it's all relative!

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Dean Wilkins (DROOL!) END OF

He took us to seventh (geddit!) Heaven

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If we are talking best 'manager' then surely it must focus on the least resource to produce the most benefit and that is not the same as the most successful.

FootballForeman

May 26, 2020
Saved my best to Last

Barry Lloyd, "Barry Who" the North Stand used to sing, but kept us ticking along with little to no money

Steve Gritt, He had no hair but we don't care, what he achieved was unbelievable

Brian Horton, Kept us going while at Gillingham, so we still had a team on our return to Sussex

Micky Adams, bought some passion to the team and Success to us for the first time in a few years

Mark McGee, Top Guy, Sure he was always smashed on Bells but what a fab day out in Cardiff

Gus Poyet, bit of a renegade and reached his ceiling but we generally enjoyed the Ride

Chris H, has to be my favourite, one of the nicest men in Football, respected by the players and fans, shame he wasn't by the board, maybe should have had another year, but he wasn't so onwards and upwards UTA

Aug 18, 2013
Huh? Explain that?

After 2 seasons as manager and making wholesale changes to the squad and the club I find your perspective slightly bizarre... with all due respect.
We've won 5 games out of of 24 this season with one of the best squads ever assembled. It's not "best manager ever" form is it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We've won 5 games out of of 24 this season with one of the best squads ever assembled. It's not "best manager ever" form is it.

Highest ever PL points total for our club, 6 games unbeaten in the league, consecutive clean sheets and one of our most famous wins ever away at Anfield not good enough for you?

What do you expect exactly, Champions League?

Aug 18, 2013
Highest ever PL points total for our club, 6 games unbeaten in the league, consecutive clean sheets and one of our most famous wins ever away at Anfield not good enough for you?

I didn't say it wasn't good enough but it's plainly not best manager ever form is it? 3 wins out of 6, following 2 wins out of 18? Beating an out of sorts Spurs without their best player and and out of sorts Liverpool without Van Dijk and Mane....i mean, they are absolutely fabulous results but we've had a few of them in our time haven't we? Only 6 weeks ago half our fanbase were calling for his head. He's a work in progress with a lot of promise. Best manager ever? Lol

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

All good but not in ‘best ever manager’ territory just yet. Not for a club with 120 years of history.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its difficult to know what Potter can achieve to be with the other names mentioned. I think he probably has the best squad to work with in the history of the club.
Maybe beat Bailey's highest ever league position, European football for the first time, or a domestic trophy is not out of the question. The clubs expectations are probably higher than they have ever been.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Alan Mullery by a mile for me.

Took us from Division 3 to Division 1.

So many times changed us after a dour first half to some electric footbal in the second half.

.......and lastly , absolutely ****ed Crystal Palace over when he was Manager there.

How much more than that, can a manager give ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here