Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

Yoda

English & European
Sounds familiar. I suspect I had coronavirus with symptoms first showing on Tuesday 24th March and yesterday being the first day that I felt well enough to be back on my feet. So 12 days all in. I probably only had what the experts would describe as a mild case but at various times I had a temperature well into the 38s, fatigue, a total loss of smell, a strange sense of taste, a mild but persistent cough, loss of appetite, a couple of days of nasty diarrhoea, aches in my arms and at one point my chest felt very tight. Even a mild case is still very nasty compared to common illnesses - and that’s without the breathing issues that affect the most serious cases. So all I’d say is don’t panic, I was where you are this time last week and I feel fine now.

The most bizarre thing is, what you describe is almost a carbon copy of the Flu I had February last year (apart from the diarrhea which lasted longer).

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Agreed. At least on an Emergency Ward he'd likely have been in a private room. No private rooms in ICU....

In my admittedly limited experience, and then admittedly in more normal times, each ICU bed was in a separate room. I fully appreciate things may be different now.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What an unpleasant post. Some things are better left unsaid. I won't be clapping him either, (us old boys don't go in for public displays of emotion) and as a lifetime agnostic I don't say prayers. But we need a leader and he's exactly that. So in the end there's only hope for his recovery...

This clap for Boris nonsense is diluting the message to the NHS. Besides, what am I clapping him for? Because he shook hands with infected patients? Because he said we should "take it on the chin" and accept the herd immunity strategy? And anyway, I already said I wished him a speedy recovery. Unpleasant my arse!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In my admittedly limited experience, and then admittedly in more normal times, each ICU bed was in a separate room. I fully appreciate things may be different now.

Definitely not at the moment - ICU capacity has been increased by using other wards that have been cleared out for the purpose. I bet Boris has been found a private room though...................

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I understand that bit, I'm asking about the mentality and the need to put it out there because surely it goes without saying that you don't want someone to die for having a different political view. Not wishing ill health on Boris will not turn you into a Tory.

I suspect it's very much based around a playground mentality of peer group acceptance. Same as when people go to great lengths to make it clear that they don't read the Daily Mail.

It's weird.

Really? :facepalm:

It's been explained to you but you still claim not to get.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I understand that bit, I'm asking about the mentality and the need to put it out there because surely it goes without saying that you don't want someone to die for having a different political view. Not wishing ill health on Boris will not turn you into a Tory.

I suspect it's very much based around a playground mentality of peer group acceptance. Same as when people go to great lengths to make it clear that they don't read the Daily Mail.

It's weird.

It's perfectly reasonable to disagree with somebody while wishing them a full and speedy recovery. It's possible that this is stated so that the poster isn't accused of hypocrisy, having expressed anti-Johnson views in the past. The Internet is a combative place and there are always people who will misconstrue remarks, whether for giggles, political capital or ignorance. Some might see any harsh words in the past as invalidating any sympathy for the PM now. My guess is that people popping in the "I'm not a Tory" caveat are just getting their defence in first.

Actually, I've even bored myself with that reply. :D

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's perfectly reasonable to disagree with somebody while wishing them a full and speedy recovery. It's possible that this is stated so that the poster isn't accused of hypocrisy, having expressed anti-Johnson views in the past. The Internet is a combative place and there are always people who will misconstrue remarks, whether for giggles, political capital or ignorance. Some might see any harsh words in the past as invalidating any sympathy for the PM now. My guess is that people popping in the "I'm not a Tory" caveat are just getting their defence in first.

I wish everybody suffering from the virus a full and speedy recovery.. That said, I probably wish it more for doctors and nurses who have fallen ill than for any politician because NHS staff are more use.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It would seem this is the most likely (and obvious) answer. So worth posting for those struggling with the concept.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not going to clap. As with minute's silences, or a minute's applause at football matches, too many of them just become meaningless, and even a tad irksome. Clap for the NHS and Carers on Thursday, yep, fine - it shows our appreciation. Clapping for Boris ain't going to do him any good anyway; I'll just go on quietly hoping he gets well.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

... nonetheless it's an excellent reply

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Not going to clap. As with minute's silences, or a minute's applause at football matches, too many of them just become meaningless, and even a tad irksome. Clap for the NHS and Carers on Thursday, yep, fine - it shows our appreciation. Clapping for Boris ain't going to do him any good anyway; I'll just go on quietly hoping he gets well.

Good response; same here!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I would have thought this was perfectly obvious, but seemingly not.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

This. All day long.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

What impact do you think not clapping for the NHS would have?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What impact do you think not clapping for the NHS would have?

Reverse the question. Clapping the NHS workers means the appreciation can be heard by those workers. There’s a nurse, a paramedic and an IT NHS worker in my road.
Clapping Boris on the south coast isn’t going to carry all the way to London.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Fair answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here