Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Strangely, I can't recall any other Prime Minister mentioning it, or bringing it up in passing. But, I hope you feel better for standing up for a serial liar ? that's your choice.

What a very bizarre comment. Any other PM? We have one PM. And for 'take it on the chin' read herd immunity. I am surprised you didn't realise it amounted to the same thing. But we live and learn.

And I care not a jot that you or anyone thinks Boris is a liar. I think pretty much all politicians are liars hence the old joke 'how do you know when a politician is lying'. The question was not whether Boris has ever lied, he has, but whether he had said what you said he said. He did not.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Nice that he specifically praised Luis from Porto in his speech. Will any compatriots who wish to be nurses be allowed in after Boris's Brexit?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What a very bizarre comment. Any other PM? We have one PM. And for 'take it on the chin' read herd immunity. I am surprised you didn't realise it amounted to the same thing. But we live and learn.

And I care not a jot that you or anyone thinks Boris is a liar. I think pretty much all politicians are liars hence the old joke 'how do you know when a politician is lying'. The question was not whether Boris has ever lied, he has, but whether he had said what you said he said. He did not.

It's not "a very bizarre comment" . Have any other Prime Ministers or presidents ( I can see you are confused , other Prime Ministers exist ) mentioned the now infamous Herd Immunity scenario ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's not "a very bizarre comment" . Have any other Prime Ministers or presidents ( I can see you are confused , other Prime Ministers exist ) mentioned the now infamous Herd Immunity scenario ?

Classic distraction technique. Don't address the problem, which was that Boris did not say the thing you and others love to trot out. I am pretty sure Boris as you say has told some whoppers in his time, but he did not say what you claimed he said.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Classic distraction technique. Don't address the problem, which was that Boris did not say the thing you and others love to trot out. I am pretty sure Boris as you say has told some whoppers in his time, but he did not say what you claimed he said.

Ok, fair do's, you asked for it. don't forget to read the whole article but I will cut and paste a particularly relevant section for speed and clarity.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/03/18/herd-immunity-timeline-to-a-climb-down/

" The ‘Fake News’ Backlash
I was surprised that, after more than a week, not a single media outlet had reported the fact that Britain’s Prime Minister had said “take it on the chin” in relation to the Coronavirus on national television. What was even more shocking was that it did not receive coverage even after going viral.
But then some people did start taking notice of it. And the backlash started to grow.
Fortunately for me, most of the ire was directed at the people who had tweeted the clip with a claim that the Prime Minister was suggesting or recommending “taking it on the chin”. He had been very careful with his words – merely positing the theory, rather than advocating it.
Claims started mounting suggesting that the clip had been edited (it hadn’t) or – as the Guido Fawkes site claimed – that it had been taken “out of context”. Though the interview had been clipped, the meaning of his words had not been distorted.
Two days after my tweet, the Sun ran an article written by its executive editor Dan Wooton. “Fake news merchants on the cesspit that is Twitter are distributing a clip of the Prime Minister,” it screamed beneath the headline: Boris has been Misrepresented by an-Out-of Context Clip – and it Must Stop.
Even the reputable fact-checking website, Full Fact, weighed in. Rather than recognise that the Prime Minister had floated a crazy theory, it took aim at the claim that he had “advocated” the theory, and concluded this was incorrect. I believe a large majority of people who had posted the clip had never made this claim. But now it was official: the clip was ‘fake news’ and anyone posting it was ‘a fake news merchant’.
It was sobering to see how swiftly sections of the media had moved to snuff out what was a growing viral story. Many of the people who had posted it quite legitimately – including Miles Thompson, whose clip had received millions of views – deleted it due to the online abuse they were receiving.

So the story was quashed, savaged on social media and ignored by the mainstream media. But then everything changed."

" Out in the Open
A week after the original This Morning interview, an “unnamed Government source” gave the political editor of ITV News, Robert Peston, the ‘herd immunity’ story and suddenly everything became clear.
The Government had clearly been planning the herd immunity strategy for weeks. The Prime Minister had been sent out to do the interview with This Morning with the aim of floating the theory to prepare the public for it. Even his words – to allow the virus to “pass through” the population – are identical to those used in Peston’s Government-briefed ‘scoop’.

The fact that the Sun cried “fake news” and leapt to the Prime Minister’s defence after the clip had gone viral, suggests that even the Murdoch press had not been briefed about herd immunity in advance.
Four days after the herd immunity theory was announced, the Government was forced into a humiliating u-turn. It admitted that the science upon which it was based was deeply flawed and, over the past few days, it had been quietly back-tracking. But it cannot backtrack on the many weeks that have been lost or on the many thousands of additional lives that have likely been put at risk. "

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nice that he specifically praised Luis from Porto in his speech. Will any compatriots who wish to be nurses be allowed in after Boris's Brexit?

IIRC the points system will ID key skilled people such as Luis and naturally will be recognised essential to the growth of our great NHS.

Syzmon and his five she’ll suit wearing mates who are planning to come and work in the local Albanian run car wash(possibly a money laundering operation)for cash in hand may find it a little more challenging.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What annoyed me was that tw*t Stanley Johnson - who a few weeks ago was proudly announcing that he's still go down the pub if he possibly could - described his son's actions as 'taking one for the team'. What the hell does that mean? Did he throw himself in front of a virus particle that was meant for someone else and heroically save that person? Was it in any way heroic to catch the virus when he was (in all likelihood) incapable of observing social distancing guidelines?
And what bloody team? The NHS - which his (previous) governments has systematically run down? Or the country which he has (arguably) let own by his dithering response to the unfolding nightmare?
Rant over.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ok, fair do's, you asked for it. don't forget to read the whole article but I will cut and paste a particularly relevant section for speed and clarity.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/03/18/herd-immunity-timeline-to-a-climb-down/

" The ‘Fake News’ Backlash
I was surprised that, after more than a week, not a single media outlet had reported the fact that Britain’s Prime Minister had said “take it on the chin” in relation to the Coronavirus on national television. What was even more shocking was that it did not receive coverage even after going viral.
But then some people did start taking notice of it. And the backlash started to grow.
Fortunately for me, most of the ire was directed at the people who had tweeted the clip with a claim that the Prime Minister was suggesting or recommending “taking it on the chin”. He had been very careful with his words – merely positing the theory, rather than advocating it.
Claims started mounting suggesting that the clip had been edited (it hadn’t) or – as the Guido Fawkes site claimed – that it had been taken “out of context”. Though the interview had been clipped, the meaning of his words had not been distorted.
Two days after my tweet, the Sun ran an article written by its executive editor Dan Wooton. “Fake news merchants on the cesspit that is Twitter are distributing a clip of the Prime Minister,” it screamed beneath the headline: Boris has been Misrepresented by an-Out-of Context Clip – and it Must Stop.
Even the reputable fact-checking website, Full Fact, weighed in. Rather than recognise that the Prime Minister had floated a crazy theory, it took aim at the claim that he had “advocated” the theory, and concluded this was incorrect. I believe a large majority of people who had posted the clip had never made this claim. But now it was official: the clip was ‘fake news’ and anyone posting it was ‘a fake news merchant’.
It was sobering to see how swiftly sections of the media had moved to snuff out what was a growing viral story. Many of the people who had posted it quite legitimately – including Miles Thompson, whose clip had received millions of views – deleted it due to the online abuse they were receiving.

So the story was quashed, savaged on social media and ignored by the mainstream media. But then everything changed."

" Out in the Open
A week after the original This Morning interview, an “unnamed Government source” gave the political editor of ITV News, Robert Peston, the ‘herd immunity’ story and suddenly everything became clear.
The Government had clearly been planning the herd immunity strategy for weeks. The Prime Minister had been sent out to do the interview with This Morning with the aim of floating the theory to prepare the public for it. Even his words – to allow the virus to “pass through” the population – are identical to those used in Peston’s Government-briefed ‘scoop’.

The fact that the Sun cried “fake news” and leapt to the Prime Minister’s defence after the clip had gone viral, suggests that even the Murdoch press had not been briefed about herd immunity in advance.
Four days after the herd immunity theory was announced, the Government was forced into a humiliating u-turn. It admitted that the science upon which it was based was deeply flawed and, over the past few days, it had been quietly back-tracking. But it cannot backtrack on the many weeks that have been lost or on the many thousands of additional lives that have likely been put at risk. "

That article is just rubbish.

I watched the PM on live tv. The context in which he said 'take it on the chin' was ignored. The article says that it was ignored, there was a reaction on here and elsewhere about his comment.

This is from the Mirror who quoted him at the time over a month ago:

"At the moment what they are telling me is, actually, slightly counter-intuitively, things like closing schools and stopping big gatherings don't work as well perhaps as people think in stopping the spread," he said.

"One of the theories is perhaps you could take it in on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance.

"I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now just to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might. I think there are things we may be able to do."

As you can see, 'one of the theories' 'I think we need to strike a balance' 'It would be better if we took all the measures we can now to stop the peak being difficult for the NHS'.

However much you wish he had advocated 'taking it on the chin' he did not at any point suggest that. Boris has not always covered himself in glory, there is plenty of material out there to attack him with if you are so inclined, but this instance is not one of those indiscretions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That article is just rubbish.

I watched the PM on live tv. The context in which he said 'take it on the chin' was ignored. The article says that it was ignored, there was a reaction on here and elsewhere about his comment.

This is from the Mirror who quoted him at the time over a month ago:

"At the moment what they are telling me is, actually, slightly counter-intuitively, things like closing schools and stopping big gatherings don't work as well perhaps as people think in stopping the spread," he said.

"One of the theories is perhaps you could take it in on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance.

"I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now just to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might. I think there are things we may be able to do."

As you can see, 'one of the theories' 'I think we need to strike a balance' 'It would be better if we took all the measures we can now to stop the peak being difficult for the NHS'.

However much you wish he had advocated 'taking it on the chin' he did not at any point suggest that. Boris has not always covered himself in glory, there is plenty of material out there to attack him with if you are so inclined, but this instance is not one of those indiscretions.

Are you the equivalent apologist for Johnson as Tyrone Biggums ( Trump Baby ) is for Trump ? Just asking like ? It seems you both really can't accept a truth when put in front of you. Our PM clearly, but vaguely, floats an idea that "We are all going to get it anyway and that we should let it pass through...mumble pifflepaffle " ... he's just putting it out there but not nailing it as official policy as that would tie him inextricably to a policy and we all know politicians like to leave a back door or, a fridge handy.

So, he said it. It can't be unsaid,and now that we have got here we can get back to the real meaning of my post days back. Lets just hope he now has a better understanding of a well funded and supported NHS.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Are you the equivalent apologist for Johnson as Tyrone Biggums ( Trump Baby ) is for Trump ? Just asking like ? It seems you both really can't accept a truth when put in front of you. Our PM clearly, but vaguely, floats an idea that "We are all going to get it anyway and that we should let it pass through...mumble pifflepaffle " ... he's just putting it out there but not nailing it as official policy as that would tie him inextricably to a policy and we all know politicians like to leave a back door or, a fridge handy.

So, he said it. It can't be unsaid,and now that we have got here we can get back to the real meaning of my post days back. Lets just hope he now has a better understanding of a well funded and supported NHS.

It should be clear to you that I am no apologist for Johnson by the things I have said.
You are simply in denial that he did not advocate 'taking it on the chin'.

When he said 'one of the theories' etc and went on to add 'I think we need to strike a balance' he is clearly distancing himself from 'take it on the chin'.

I give up.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It should be clear to you that I am no apologist for Johnson by the things I have said.

When he said 'one of the theories' etc and went on to add 'I think we need to strike a balance' he is clearly distancing himself from 'take it on the chin'.

I give up.

How do you interpret strike a balance? Between what?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I give up.

Excellent idea.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Between the first postulated idea 'take it on the chin' and the second where he says we need to take measures to protect the NHS. It doesn't require a lot of intelligence to realise that if we 'took it on the chin' the part where he says we need to protect the NHS would be negated as the NHS would clearly be over run of we 'took it on the chin'.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Doesn't that mean between total lockdown and keeping some of our economy running? In the same way we don't have lockdowns for the seasonal flu, whereas we would probably shut nearly everything down for the bubonic plague. The virulence/mortality of the disease sort of determines how strongly we need to react.

Whether he said it or not, we basically do take seasonal flu "on the chin".

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Between the first postulated idea 'take it on the chin' and the second where he says we need to take measures to protect the NHS. It doesn't require a lot of intelligence to realise that if we 'took it on the chin' the part where he says we need to protect the NHS would be negated as the NHS would clearly be over run of we 'took it on the chin'.

Surely the suggestion was that we need to take it on the chin to some extent but also impose some "Draconian" measures.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
'Take it on the chin' [Johnson, B] and 'Take one for the team' [Johnson, S] - strikes me that both these stem from the herd immunity plan. That is: get infected, get better, put up with it. So, they both were obviously briefing out that this is what we were to expect / should be doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here