[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I may have mentioned this before, but I wonder if there is any scope to develop the mini ground within the training complex at Lancing ?

Will not happen, not enough parking, off an estate, bad roads about to get worse when they start feckin around New Monks Farm development. It needs to be closer as well for it to attract bigger numbers. Withdean is not a bad idea or Whitehawk.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think the season was seen as a success really.

IIRC Brighton are aiming for top 4 in the WSL and while not achieving that atm is probably fine, I don't think ending up 16 points behind the no 4 despite doing some heavy strengthening of the squad before/during the season is seen as anything other than a (minor) failure and while there was always going to be a lot of movement (especially considering how rapidly things are happening in the women's football food chain right now) I think this probably amplified it.

There's a bunch of players the club would struggle to keep with the "big 6" and foreign giants increasingly starting to pour money into the game, but there's also a number of players the club might feel just aren't good enough. Combined it appears it will results in a major squad revamp.

I agree. Before the start of last season there was a lot of talk about the investment. We'd finished 6th the previous season, we'd recruited well (apparently), and whilst no one was expecting to match the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea there was a feeling that we'd 'give it a bit of a go'. Given the build-up the final place of 7th did feel a bit disappointing, even though it wasn't overall that much worse than 2020-21 (One place lower and one more defeat).

However some of the results and performances* were shocking, and I wonder if that played a part in making up players' minds? Is Hope Powell to blame? Did they not want to play for her any more? Regardless, as others have said the silence from the club is not encouraging. Just a bland statement that we have got lots of irons in the fire and lots of targets would help.

*I'm going by reports and what I saw on TV.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
They seriously need the womens team back in Brighton, as I have suggested before at a smaller venue that can hold between 2-4 thousands maybe investing in a none league ground. All the time they are playing in Crawley they are slowly dying and playing in a big stadium like the Amex simply looks shite.

Would be ideal if Whitehawk or Worthing were able to do their ground up to meet the requirements of the WSL and the Albion promised to play X amount of seasons there. That commitment to play there could help whichever team it is secure money to do the works.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I may have mentioned this before, but I wonder if there is any scope to develop the mini ground within the training complex at Lancing ?

I think the rules require the minimum capacity to be 6,000 which would be a very ambitious upgrade for the training ground.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think the rules require the minimum capacity to be 6,000 which would be a very ambitious upgrade for the training ground.

Now there's no IKEA next door, could we build a pitch suitable within the training ground surroundings

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Just give the remaining women nice little part-time cleaning jobs and bring back Gully's Girls, so us REAL men have got something to ogle. Right lads? :thumbsup:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Top 4 ambition, fresh on the wave if the current European Championships including arguably the National side's best ever result at our home ground, and the Women's team has been decimated with no hint of a future closer tin Brighton & Hove.

Wouldn't be nice if our local journalists actually did a bit of digging as to what's going on rather than waiting for the party line to get spun their way about how wonderful everything is.

Maybe the players have had their heads turned, maybe David Weir wants a personnel reset, or maybe something else, but it would be jolly nice to perhaps find out?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Top 4 ambition, fresh on the wave if the current European Championships including arguably the National side's best ever result at our home ground, and the Women's team has been decimated with no hint of a future closer tin Brighton & Hove.

Wouldn't be nice if our local journalists actually did a bit of digging as to what's going on rather than waiting for the party line to get spun their way about how wonderful everything is.

Maybe the players have had their heads turned, maybe David Weir wants a personnel reset, or maybe something else, but it would be jolly nice to perhaps find out?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I agree. Was tempted to treat my niece and her friend to STs but think I will wait to see what is going on. Would just like to know if clubs decision not to extend contracts because they think they can improve with better players or the ones that have left are not happy here orthink they can do better elsewhere. If it is the latter with the millions he has spent it will be a concern for Bloom

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Wasn’t the bottom field at Brighton Uni (just to the right of the Amex - looking from the station) the mooted site for a Womens/23 stadium?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Victoria Williams and Kayleigh Green signed new contracts, Poppy Pattinson joins us today from Everton.
No word on Miss le tiss though

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Will not happen, not enough parking, off an estate, bad roads about to get worse when they start feckin around New Monks Farm development. It needs to be closer as well for it to attract bigger numbers. Withdean is not a bad idea or Whitehawk.

Much as I'd like to see them at Hawks, it's not feasible. The ground is unlikely to meet standards.

If Brighton fancy paying for a new and better pitch and facilities we'd be delighted to accommodate them.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I do agree that the Women's team could really do with moving away from Crawley but can't see it happening any time soon as all the options either involve doing up someone elses ground or building a new one all together

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Much as I'd like to see them at Hawks, it's not feasible. The ground is unlikely to meet standards.

If Brighton fancy paying for a new and better pitch and facilities we'd be delighted to accommodate them.

That's what they should do though as it would be win win all round. Albion could also have U23 matches there too to get their moneys worth, helping the local community and Whitehawk get a decent ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports