Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] British IS Girl wanting to return to the UK

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Easy to say isn’t it? Not the reality unfortunately. No sane parent would say that.

I’m against the death penalty.

But if a member of my family was murdered, I’d happily smash the murderer to a pulp with a baseball bat.

Legal decisions should be made by calm and wise heads not emotional participants.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The problem I have with this is as follows: imagine a scenario where a 15 year old middle class white kid becomes indoctrinated with white power hate, and trots off to the USA to join a camp run by the KKK where he learns to create nail bombs, specifically to be placed in black areas of London. Then our authorities find out what he's doing and refuse him entry back into the country at Heathrow while they consider the implications of doing so. Can you imagine any scenario whatsoever where that boy is unrepentant but wants entry back into the country and is refused?

Of course not. Qwhite an interesting difference isn't it?

or maybe they would, as case of Jack Letts shows.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The system has failed.

As a British subject she should be back here to face justice, we need to know what happened, who are the ring leaders etc...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The system has failed.

As a British subject she should be back here to face justice, we need to know what happened, who are the ring leaders etc...

she didnt actually commit any offense here, so what justice is there to face? and you cant compel her to provide information, thats wishful thinking. so we take option to remove citizenship for people that dont want to be part of our society.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem I have with this is as follows: imagine a scenario where a 15 year old middle class white kid becomes indoctrinated with white power hate, and trots off to the USA to join a camp run by the KKK where he learns to create nail bombs, specifically to be placed in black areas of London. Then our authorities find out what he's doing and refuse him entry back into the country at Heathrow while they consider the implications of doing so. Can you imagine any scenario whatsoever where that boy is unrepentant but wants entry back into the country and is refused?

Interesting difference? Classic whataboutery more like.

Having opened that post out of curiousity, I can see why I've had you on ignore for years!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Whilst I have sympathy with your view on this I’m not sure there are many examples of your analogy if any at all, so therefore you are guilty of whataboutary, that said I’m a little closer to your view than others on here [emoji106]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have absolutely no idea what the right answer to this dilemma is ....

Hope i've really managed to add value to the discussion

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I’m against the death penalty.

But if a member of my family was murdered, I’d happily smash the murderer to a pulp with a baseball bat.

Legal decisions should be made by calm and wise heads not emotional participants.

Were the judges in the Court of Appeal who had decided she could return to the UK not sufficiently wise, calm or emotionally uninvested?

Legal decisions are often based on the luck of the draw on which judges are sitting at any given hearing, and the decions they make are inevitably influenced by their own personal ideologies and prejudices, aptitudes and shortcomings.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Were the judges in the Court of Appeal who had decided she could return to the UK not sufficiently wise, calm or emotionally uninvested?

Obviously not.

Legal decisions are often based on the luck of the draw on which judges are sitting at any given hearing, and the decions they make are inevitably influenced by their own personal ideologies and prejudices, aptitudes and shortcomings.

The one case I was a juror on had a very sane and fair judge, I thought. But I agree that this can certainly be an issue.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting difference? Classic whataboutery more like.

Having opened that post out of curiousity, I can see why I've had you on ignore for years!
Wow! Someone has actually bothered to put me on ignore!

Shame really because this is predominantly an Albion football board and I've found myself agreeing with almost everything you say on that subject.

As for this accusation of whataboutery, I can't really see it. My issue with the way she has been treated is that she was a minor at the time. I've evoked that white middle class example simply because had she been white, middle class and of a traditional Christian background, I don't think we'd have seen this.

Maybe I should have just left the example to one side and asked whether you'd expect YOUR 15 year old son or daughter to have citizenship revoked for the crime of falling into the clutches of a murderous mindset. I just worry this is all about pandering to a certain type of person rather than doing what is right and expected by a country of our world standing.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I've evoked that white middle class example simply because had she been white, middle class and of a traditional Christian background, I don't think we'd have seen this.

If she'd been, say, a Polish convert from Christianity who'd run off to IS then I can't see as the outcome would've been more positive for her.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Obviously not.

The one case I was a juror on had a very sane and fair judge, I thought. But I agree that this can certainly be an issue.

Your first comment is a very worrying indictment of the fallibility of our judicial system, but as your second comment acknowledges is a matter of genuine concern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here