Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That wouldn't be a problem for this game - Burnley 3 Watford 0 on 15th December, when Watford couldn't raise a team. There would have been no rearrangement. The idea that Watford should have the game put off when they were short staffed, but Burnley should have to play now that Watford are back up to strength - hardly fair, is it.

And that is the issue now we are seeing games postponed for non covid reasons.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It was being widely reported across the media, and not just the idiot red-top comics.

Yes as Wood says the clause was triggered, but it was triggered early and it makes sense. It was in the interests of Wood, Wood's agent, Newcastle and Burnley's owners (in short-term financial terms at least). All parties wanted the deal done to get the $$$. Probably aside from Dyche, that is.

Interesting. I've only seen Simon Jordan mention that MAY Have been a possibility. The Mail did originally start with that being a possibility but quickly removed it and replaced just with 'triggered the release clause'

All other media outlets I have seen have simply said there was a release clause in his contract and have not said it was only active in the summer.

My understanding was that his previous deal at Burnley only took him to the summer of 2023, so having a release clause of £25m kicking in for the summer of 2022 would seem very odd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My understanding was that his previous deal at Burnley only took him to the summer of 2023, so having a release clause of £25m kicking in for the summer of 2022 would seem very odd.

A lot of reports changed quickly to say the clause was active from this summer - but I agree it makes no sense. But the flipside is they did get Ashley Barnes off us in a January window for £500k, so maybe it was the reverse of that to try and keep him to the end of his contact unless the fee was ridiculous

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A lot of reports changed quickly to say the clause was active from this summer - but I agree it makes no sense. But the flipside is they did get Ashley Barnes off us in a January window for £500k, so maybe it was the reverse of that to try and keep him to the end of his contact unless the fee was ridiculous

The Barnes transfer didn't involve a release clause though. It was simply that there were no indications he was going to agree a new deal, so the Albion (wrongly IMO) decided to accept the low offer rather than let him walk for nothing in that summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Barnes transfer didn't involve a release clause though. It was simply that there were no indications he was going to agree a new deal, so the Albion (wrongly IMO) decided to accept the low offer rather than let him walk for nothing in that summer.

That is what I mean. At least a clause in there stops any talk around it - the price in the last 12 months is the price

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Looks like the sale of Wood was predicated by financial difficulty that the new American owners have in raising capital. That takeover stank, iirc was similar to the Glasiers at Man U. The owners have failed to make payments necessary to former directors. I wonder if they will follow in Derby's steps and be the next club in trouble?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-raise-alarm-Burnleys-financial-position.html

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Relegation looks nailed on, Ben Mee and James Tarkowski have their contracts expiring in the summer. Could be a real changing of the guard at Burnley in the summer, but I'm not sure there's anyone there I'd want us to hoover up. Nick Pope is too good to be backup for Big Bob, but Maxwel Cornet looks a proper player - presumably he'd have bigger clubs coming after him though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Relegation looks nailed on, Ben Mee and James Tarkowski have their contracts expiring in the summer. Could be a real changing of the guard at Burnley in the summer, but I'm not sure there's anyone there I'd want us to hoover up. Nick Pope is too good to be backup for Big Bob, but Maxwel Cornet looks a proper player - presumably he'd have bigger clubs coming after him though.
Dwight McNeil still only 22

Cheeky 500k bid should do it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Vin

Jun 12, 2021

Don't Umbro own Maxwel Cornet?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I look at Burnley and ourselves from a 5 years ago position and wonder at how brilliantly we have been run and how ineptly they have. A few years back they were sen as stronger than us in position and squad. Now their squad looks weaker than even Norwich's. Destined for relegation and maybe successive relegations with such a generally mediocre pool of players.
Let's do them over big time next month, about time we did.

TNBA

TTF

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Looks like the sale of Wood was predicated by financial difficulty that the new American owners have in raising capital. That takeover stank, iirc was similar to the Glasiers at Man U. The owners have failed to make payments necessary to former directors. I wonder if they will follow in Derby's steps and be the next club in trouble?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-raise-alarm-Burnleys-financial-position.html

Been refuted by Alan Pace (new owner) and the previous directors. And it was the Mail, I wouldn't be surprised if there were problems though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Interesting that Talkshite we’re running the same story …I think yesterday
Yeah they were running the story apparently. Reading Burnley forums, there's a split between fans who think everything is fine, and those that distrust the owners. I would certainly side with the latter, and though they aren't exactly my favourite club, I am sorry for their decent fans.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Yeah they were running the story apparently. Reading Burnley forums, there's a split between fans who think everything is fine, and those that distrust the owners. I would certainly side with the latter, and though they aren't exactly my favourite club, I am sorry for their decent fans.

Where is our resident Burnley supporting poster, for comment? @DurBurnley or something?
Or was he banned for spouting anti-vax shit?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Does Dyche have so much credit in the bank with Burnley that he is mostly free of criticism? Its good to see the loyalty but with 1 win from 21 games i'd assume more questions would be asked.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Does Dyche have so much credit in the bank with Burnley that he is mostly free of criticism? Its good to see the loyalty but with 1 win from 21 games i'd assume more questions would be asked.

There are those who think his time is up and though he has been great we need a new approach. The practicalities also factor in, I read that if we cannot afford to pay his contract if we sacked him.

The reality is that the club hasn't invested and the recent signings are too late. Much has been written about our finances, sadly we aren't able to compete. So each season we are trying to conjure up ways to not be in the bottom 3.

I don't see us surviving as Newcastle, Everton and co are pulling away. I'd rather see us try and keep within our financial parameters though if it means relegation. It seems each season a club is close to going into admin.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

He should. With their squad they should have been relegated about five times in the last five years.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes.

The previous chairman spent his last three years building up money in the bank which he took with him when he sold the company. Which is why on occasion this season we have gone with a starting line up who have all been at the club 3+ years, and why we have the oldest team in the PL. Dyche is still our best chance of stopping up, by far, IMO and in the opinion of the new chairman too (4 year contract signed earlier this year).

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Be a nice bit of Karma Saturday if we help them on their way for that Joey Barton game.
Have we even beaten them at the Amex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here