Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Calling RAC without using an app.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Morning folks. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this?

My elderley parents are with RAC and broke down yesterday. When they called the RAC all they got was a recorded message telling them to use the app. Apparently it never cut to a real person. They eventually got a younger relative involved who installed the app on their own phone and called them out that way. When they arrived aparently the RAC engineer was brilliant.

So, does anyone know how to get an RAC callout without using the app, or should they move to another provider, and can anyone recommend one that still uses real call handlers?
Very similar experience with AA two years back when car broke down at Butlins Bognor. Pushed me towards automation via the app but it was too flakey so ended up having to call. When they did arrive 2 hours later I could not fault the service.

It's just simply the process of reporting and getting them to attend is too clunky. Older or not tech savvy people could struggle.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
On their website it say:

"Prefer to speak to us? Call 0333 2000 999. Lines are open 24/7."

Are you saying that's definitely not the case?

I'm probably getting to sound a bit like my dad, but why is everything so difficult these days? So many areas without 3g.

We parked in a car park in the lake district which was pay by app only. There was no phone signal. There was a helpful note telling you to drive the the hotel 2 miles down the road where you could pay.
We used them the other day on the number you showed and it worked. They always say very busy and it will be quicker to take a mechanics course but if you hang on for hours we'll get to you. They took 6 hours but we are in Wales!! Fortunately we had a blow out in a pub car park but I still couldn't get tired and run down because I had to drive back.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'm also RAC. I tried to use them once and apparently it can be done online, without the app? I checked today and online still works, or am I behind the times here?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What about people like my dad who has a phone but not a smartphone. He's in his 80s and no way could he operate a smartphone let alone download an app.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
App only for breakdown and parking is mad. They need upgrading regularly and there's no guarantee you'll be somewhere with 5G when and if you breakdown or need to park. Ever tried upgrading an app over 4G or less?
4G is usually absolutely fine for downloading/updating apps on a mobile.

I regularly get downloading speeds faster than my home connection.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here