[Football] Casuals: The story of the Legendary Terrace Fashion.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 136948

Music from the film The Business.
I understand you like Duran Duran :)

And then the late 80s saw a kind of spin off into "baggy" with a lot of football lads getting into The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and more Balearic stuff. Flowered Up did an absolutely mental gig at The Zap that was full of Brighton.

This is Boys Own / Farley and Heller's Terry Farley back in the day. Massively influential in fanzine culture and house / soul.

terry.JPG

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And then the late 80s saw a kind of spin off into "baggy" with a lot of football lads getting into The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and more Balearic stuff. Flowered Up did an absolutely mental gig at The Zap that was full of Brighton.

This is Boys Own / Farley and Heller's Terry Farley back in the day. Massively influential in fanzine culture and house / soul.

View attachment 136961

Preferred the Fila track tops - had three of them once, blinding casual gear

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
You are wrong again if you think The Specials and The Clash aren’t very good.

But this just isn't correct; your typical casual was not into The Specials and The Clash. Casuals usually liked the cr4p music they played in the discos down West Street. I worked in a record shop in the 80s and if you had a Lady Di hair wedge, gold chains, a Pringle jumper, tennis shirt, a Fila tracksuit top, stone washed jeans, kickers, Adidas trainers, or any of the other gear they thought they looked so lovely in then you were typically buying Level 42, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson and George Benson. Obviously some casuals had better music taste for bands like The Jam, but the majority were soul boys.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
That is codswallop sir. Football fashion is about as diverse as it gets.

Football fashion diverse? Casual football fans in the 80s followed each other like sheep. One week everyone was wearing Fred Perrys; a few weeks later everyone is wearing Pringles with a roll neck jumper underneath, then everyone has to have Lois jeans, then it's Kickers, then it's Tacchini, or Benetton or Gabicci. Every ground in the country the same type of blokes wearing the same range of golf or tennis clothes, all thinking they are superior but all looking like their mum's had dressed them...

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Now it's just possible that I live in the cultural backwater that is Eastbourne. But here the casual fashion really only had a tenuous link to your taste in music and/or a love of football on the terrace. Certainly amongst my peers it was no more complicated than people perceived it as a comfortable fairly mainstream fashion statement that daresay might appeal to the opposite sex. I had plenty of mates who liked the clobber but really weren't into football. Ironically I was listening to Level 42 which ticked the box but in the same breath I was listening to Iron Maiden.

Jan 30, 2008
Is that screen image St Andrews? As a nosey kid at the time, the most eventful incidents remain etched in my mind. Leeds visited, someone was murdered or crushing in fighting.

There was also mass on pitch fighting there, in last day of the season game where either Brum or the visitors were relegated.
Fratton Park ,657 on the pitch facing off Sheff utd in the Milton end
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
But this just isn't correct; your typical casual was not into The Specials and The Clash. Casuals usually liked the cr4p music they played in the discos down West Street. I worked in a record shop in the 80s and if you had a Lady Di hair wedge, gold chains, a Pringle jumper, tennis shirt, a Fila tracksuit top, stone washed jeans, kickers, Adidas trainers, or any of the other gear they thought they looked so lovely in then you were typically buying Level 42, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson and George Benson. Obviously some casuals had better music taste for bands like The Jam, but the majority were soul boys.

Soul boys = flares and slippers ???

https://youtu.be/kp6RsimlWi8
Regards
DF

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do people who aren’t into their clobber feel the need to come on these threads and make snide remarks :shrug: if your happy shopping at Primark shop at Primark.

I remember saving my paper round money for ages until I had enough to buy my first Lacoste t, it was in a sale and the lady put it behind for me until I had paid it up. Felt like a million dollars wearing that to the football and the local youth club.

Jan 30, 2008
Why do people who aren’t into their clobber feel the need to come on these threads and make snide remarks :shrug: if your happy shopping at Primark shop at Primark.

I remember saving my paper round money for ages until had enough to buy my first Lacoste t, it was in a sale and the lady put behind for me until I had paid it up. Felt like a million dollars wearing that to the football and the local youth club.

Because they feel left out :ascarf:
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports