Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characters you remember from the Goldstone Ground days.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
On the Left Wing said:
My first real memory was Charlie Livesey - a favourite of the North Stand.

CHAR- LA -LA -LA-LIVERSEY

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
hove born&bred said:
Who remembers a little short blokewith big Eric Morcambe Glasses who was a bit Forest Gump he would walk along Old Shoreham Road rubbing his hands skipping and talking to him self I was once saw him buy a jazz mag at the grenadier shops dirty little sod

Oh yes, we call him Byletts brother after a stupid mate of ours. He sat in H Block in the south stand at Withdean in our first season there. Others in that block will remember his victory dance along the line at the end of the games (if we won).

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
The Large One said:
PC Beard, my Lord, PC Beard
Oh Lord, PC Beard

:bowdown:

Although retired from the force now, Mick can be seen every match at Withdean doing his stint in the security cabin.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Another Goldstone name comes to mind. Dear old RON PAVEY and that bloody mike plugged in to the dug out underneath the West Stand. He used to be in full flow anouncing the winner of BHA Lottery and the damn thing was always cutting out. He used to resemble a Norman Clollier comedy sketch.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My Dad (R.I.P.)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
blue gull said:
Another Goldstone name comes to mind. Dear old RON PAVEY and that bloody mike plugged in to the dug out underneath the West Stand. He used to be in full flow anouncing the winner of BHA Lottery and the damn thing was always cutting out. He used to resemble a Norman Clollier comedy sketch.
Oh yes, dear old Ron and the half time jackpot draw. Like Charlie's shinpad I liked the old boardman, indeed sometimes his appearance was the most exciting part of the second half.

And although not the Goldstone who else remembers 'Stavros', the chief steward on the old Seagull Specials?

Lush

Mods' Pet
The small girl who was always there (halfway up the Chicken Run, leaning on the rail just above the path?) at least one or two hours before the game? Used to stand on a wooden fold up stool her grandad made for her?

Ah yes - that'd be me.

:)

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Brovian said:

And although not the Goldstone who else remembers 'Stavros', the chief steward on the old Seagull Specials?

Stavros's real name was Tony McCleod. He was a British Rail guard and the whole idea of The Seagull Special was his.

I saw Tony a couple of years ago in a wheelchair, in Worthing. I took down his telephone number so that I could give him a call, but when I went to use it I couldn't find where I had put the number. I do hope that this lovely man is still with us.

There was another character on that train. Who remembers the cheerful steward in the buffet car with the huge handle bar moustache?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone remember the bloke who used to wear a hat which had "Sexy Sully" and things like that on it. He did look half cut all the time.

I also remember Earnest and his famous scarf

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Maybe itsthe same guy described earlier(Fred?), but the old guy who used to sell the Argus, plus Shoot and Match footie mags. Would advertise all in one uncomprehensible sentance sounding like "Arguuus, shoo or mash"

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
The Large One said:
Oh Lord, PC Beard

:bowdown:

Beardo, Beardo, Beardo.

Legend.

When I started going to the Albion, about 8 years old, we used to sit in the South Stand and there was this old lady who would sit there all quietly just behind us for about the first ten minutes and then scream "COME ONE Brighton" at about 200 decibels, right in my ear.

The first time she did it, it scared the crap out of me but after a while I got used to it and it was just part of every home match. I'm sure I heard that she died a couple of years later.

:(

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If he's not arresting, he's probably molesting!

My favourites in the North Stand were Mick the farmer, Columbo and the Freddie Mercury lookalike. Also a fella we knew simply as Moonhead.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bwian said:
My memories of that day are of two people-one male, one female-running from the North Stand to attack Wilkins. Pretty sure I read somewhere that same male person was the owner of RR's boots.

Yeah he is, I know who you mean, although obviously not going to mention his name on here. He still goes occasionally, saw him at Cardiff with his bird.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
There was a group of guys in Leather jackets, tight jeans and Hi-Tec Slamdunkers, that used to stand at the back of the north stand (circa late 80's).

As I understand it some Vicar in Henfield got caught shagging one of his parishioners, and these guys thought it was hilarious. They sang the same song at every home match for a whole season.

'Oh Henfield Town, Oh Henfield Town'
'Oh Henfield Town has got no vicar'
'repeat to fade'

Yes, it really was that unfunny ...???

Their dress sense was far more amusing
:lolol:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
ManOnTheRun said:
As I understand it some Vicar in Henfield got caught shagging one of his parishioners, and these guys thought it was hilarious.

I lived in Henfield at the time, the Vicar in question was Tom Tyler, actually a really, really nice bloke!!

I was only about 9 or 10 at the time, but it was a HUGE scandal, because it was the only vaguely newsworthy thing that had ever happened there. Apart from Adam Faith buying a house there, but that was before my time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here