Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characters you remember from the Goldstone Ground days.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
ill never forget the woman in the turnstiles on the south stand who would always give me a bag of penny sweets as i went through. it was nearly as exciting as the match to see what she'd put in this week. a true legend:clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Kev the Ape said:
yeah i remember that, those where the days. :D

it just colapsed. i dont think ive ever laughed so much in all my life :lolol: :lolol:

half time chips - we used to take it in turns to pay, then load it up with ketchup and salt. happy days

Kev the Ape

remember when we brought chips every home game we had to pay once a week so it was like my turn then your day :lolol:, and we put so much bloody ketchup on those chips :lolol:

Kev the Ape

i couldn't believe that happened, and we used to talk about what we would like to see on the goldstone like a big scoreboard on the north stand roof :lolol:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
So mant memories reading this thread.

I remeber Slade at The Goldstone singing there latest single called "Give Us A Goal!"

And all of us in the North Stand singing "Who the f***ing hell are you?" when we were meant to sing the chorus:lolol:

Also remember Peter Shilton when he came down to our place when his affair with some bird he had shagged in the back of his car had just come out in the press,the stick he got was top notch and I think i read somewhere in his later years he mentioned the abuse he got at Brighton was the worst ever!!

The toilets in the North Stand,they were pure quality werent they!!

Also The South Stand when it was a Stand,now that was a great place to be!:drink:

Used to be terrible watching The Albion during the Miners Strike I think it was because we used to Kick off early to avoid using the Floodlights,so we were back in Littlehampton by 5.00pm on Saturdays:drink:

The famous Maybank Header,that he used to try and do every game,dont know why because he was shit at heading the ball.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Kev the Ape said:
when i was 5-6 i used to piss on the south stand wall . :clap2:

5-6? Come off it. You gave my ankle a soaking when you were twelve years old you dirty little toe rag.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Charlies Shinpad said:

Also remember Peter Shilton when he came down to our place when his affair with some bird he had shagged in the back of his car had just come out in the press,the stick he got was top notch and I think i read somewhere in his later years he mentioned the abuse he got at Brighton was the worst ever!!

Used to be terrible watching The Albion during the Miners Strike I think it was because we used to Kick off early to avoid using the Floodlights,so we were back in Littlehampton by 5.00pm on Saturdays:drink:

The famous Maybank Header,that he used to try and do every game,dont know why because he was shit at heading the ball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

her name was Tina. Shilton described the abuse he received at the Goldstone as the worst he ever received. Gary Williams hit a screamer past him.

Played Walton and Hersham in FA cup on a Wed afternoon and lost heavily (4 - 0 I think)

What about the Maybank chest pass?

what a great thread!!!

Last edited:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Charlies Shinpad said:

I remeber Slade at The Goldstone singing there latest single called "Give Us A Goal!"

Slade were also filmed at one of Albion's training sessions at Waterhall. There was a thin sprinkling of snow on the grass. It was the same day that Ken Craggs was on duty for the first time as Mullery's assistant. Cragsy came trotting out of the changing room , high stepping on to the first little grassy slope and slipped, legs in the air, and landed on his arse. The lads could hardly hide their laughter.

The episode with Shilton was reported in the papers. It was said that he and the woman were confronted by the husband as they were at it in Shilton's car. It was said that he sped off, still pulling his trousers up and had a brush with a lampost.

Shilts' next game, after the incident, was at the Goldstone. There was no score and the Albion were pressing. After a succession of Brighton attacks there was a goal kick to Southampton. Shilton was really taking his time in making a mark, placing the ball, looking to where the players were on the pitch etc . Just as he was finally ready to commence his run up I shouted out,
"Come on Shilts. We're told you can move fast when you're playing away."
Well he misskicked and as he returned to his goal line he gave me a funny look.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What about the strawberry blonde Argos photographer Kirsty Wigglesworth - last seen during the war years, now doing very well for herself (royal portraits etc).

D

Deleted User X18H

Collecting money for charity in the southwest corner Mid 70's in little blue tins at one of my first games with my old man.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Standing next to Hadlee and his girlfriend. She always had a paper bag full of toffees or humbugs and would proffer them to you just as the albion were on a dangerous attack so that you couldn't see the action!!

Hadlee bringing his mate 'Nigel' down from Croydon..totally blanking him all the game as a Phalace Pikey bloke. Meeting same Nigel years later as he was a a friend of my wife to be's brother. Its a small old world!!!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I always remember the first time I wwent to the Goldstone with my dad. He gave the 50p to get in and wait in line at the juvenile turnstile, whilst he waited in line at the adult turnstile, he said wait the other side for me, when I got to the other side there was loads of other kids waiting for their dads. How many people have ever got lost from their dads waiting for them at the other side of the turnstile!!!

Then off we would troop to the front of the south east terrace, standing on my milk bottle crate in 5 inches of water alongside all the other kids!

Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Not a character... but a song you don't hear nowadays...

KNEES UP BRIGHTON TOWN...

with the associated surges down the North Stand terrace... FANTASTIC :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Titanic said:
Not a character... but a song you don't hear nowadays...

KNEES UP BRIGHTON TOWN...

with the associated surges down the North Stand terrace... FANTASTIC :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

A song I remember was sung at Nottingham Forest, after we were defeated in a League Cup match. We were in the old Third Division at the time and Forest were riding high in the old First Division and in Europe. During the final few minutes of the match, and as the Albion players trooped off of the pitch, the massed Brighton fans grouped together around the players' tunnel sang,
"We're proud of you,
We're proud of you.
We're proud of you,
We're proud. "
to the tune of Auld Lang Syne.

but we digress. NOW BACK TO THE GOLDSTONE THEME.

Here's one for the oldies.
Who remembers left back JIMMY LANGLEY'S surging runs down the left wing? What about that exagerated, bow legged run up before he launched a long throw in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here