Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've noticed a couple of posters further up on this thread have suggested that this ride be in aid of something like the Rockinghorse Appeal. I hope this doesn't sound like sacrilege if I say I'm inclined to agree.

The REMF is our very own charity, and it's done a brilliant job and will no doubt continue to do so with the annual REMF game, auctions and so on, but I just wonder if, for this next event, it might be worth considering doing it in aid of another local charity? The Rockinghorse Appeal, for those who don't know, works very closely with the RSCH and the Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital in Brighton to fund essential equipment as well as other stuff to make life easier for very sick kids. They also work with respite care places around Sussex, providing a massively important service to families when they really need it, as well as funding kids facilities at the EDGH and the NESH (the main A&E in Redhill, where you get taken if you keel over anywhere around Crawley northwards). If people still want to go with the REMF, fair play, I have no problem with that, I just think on this occasion it might be an idea to look at other options, and I really hope that doesn't come across the wrong way.

I know from recent experience running the Brighton Marathon just how hard it can be raising money, even when, as in my case, I was fundraising for a well known national charity, Help For Heroes. At the same time, I should add, I was amazed just how generous people could be in tough financial times like these. People might be more inclined to donate/sponsor this event if it was a fairly prominent local charity, IMHO. Or the Sussex Air Ambulance perhaps (you never know when you might need it). Whereas the only people who really know about the REMF are, well, us.

Please don't think I'm letting down the REMF, I will happily get involved however we decide to do this, but I do think the earlier poster's idea about the Rockinghorse Appeal or similar has value, and shouldn't be dismissed.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I guess I disagree with Edna, on the following grounds:

We're doing this because of the return to Falmer, rather than wanting to organise a charity event and looking for a format. Enough people taking part (not me particularly) want to make it a charity thing that we might as well, so the question is 'which charity?'; it makes sense to me that the answer is a charity that's linked to the event. We're marking the Albion's return to a proper home ground, which is poignant because so many fans have died in the meantime, and we have a charity named after one of them, the REMF, which does great things. Simples.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
After 5 days of asking for participants, ALL 15 SPACES HAVE NOW BEEN FILLED, apologies if you have missed out.

I did state it was first come first served, so if you are interested, I can make a reserve list, as no doubt there may be a drop out or change of circumstances.

I will have a discussion about the charity to raise money for as a few have been suggested

The 15 are

Me x 2
Vicki - Edna Krabappel
Max - Gwylan
Matt - Sir Danny Cullip
Martyn - Bristol Seagull
Fergus96
Tom - Father Jack
Steve - Stevie Boy
Steve - Comedy Steve x 2
Robin - Brian Fantana
Andy - Fatboy
Warren - Was not Was
Andy - The Wizard

I make it 12 boys, 3 girls. Ranging from 17 to middle age...

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
I am up for a reserve spot Mendoza

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Get those padded shorts on folks :clap:

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I'm going to have to buy a new bike because my mountain bike isn't really cut out for these distances! Erk.

I hate drop-handlebar racers but I need something lightweight and comfortable (i.e. not leaving my arse looking like I've just been the pool cleaner at Barrymore's house).

Recommendations pls? Budget anything up to a grand for something special.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm going to have to buy a new bike because my mountain bike isn't really cut out for these distances! Erk.

I hate drop-handlebar racers but I need something lightweight and comfortable (i.e. not leaving my arse looking like I've just been the pool cleaner at Barrymore's house).

I'm in the same boat as you you, Steve. Or should that be on the same bike?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I wouldn't go fully drop handle bars, unless you're thinking of continuing into the wonderful world of road cycling.

All manufacturers do hybrid bikes, road style/performance, m/bike comfort.

Before you completely bin off your m/b it may well be worth investigating changing the tyres, (as thin as poss) and disabling the/any suspension.

If not, a general rule of thumb sends you to the Boardman range from Halfords.
They are the best specced bikes, across the board.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Also we need a NAME for this event, so please throw your ideas into the hat.
So far we have had:

"Pedalling For The People" - to commemorate the Albion fans who didn't get to see Falmer.

- "The Last Ride" - the fight is finally over. Albion fans have a new home.
- The Final Frontier
- The Seagulls Cycle Challenge
- ABC - AMEX Bike Challenge
- THE GREAT CYCLE HOME
- GROUNDS FOR CYCLING
- THE FOUR STADIUM TOUR
- For The Ones We Lost

Having done the SDW a little while ago, may I suggest 'Build A Bumfire'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't go fully drop handle bars, unless you're thinking of continuing into the wonderful world of road cycling.

All manufacturers do hybrid bikes, road style/performance, m/bike comfort.

Before you completely bin off your m/b it may well be worth investigating changing the tyres, (as thin as poss) and disabling the/any suspension.

If not, a general rule of thumb sends you to the Boardman range from Halfords.
They are the best specced bikes, across the board.
The only note of caution, comes from shopping at Halfords, not the bikes.
As with any nationwide chain you may or may not receive the service you'd expect when doing something as intricate as bike building.
I'm a self confessed cycling nut and therefore carry a healthy snobbish resentment :lol: for the mass market.
So I'll always say 'go to your Local Bike Shop and they will sort you out'.
I may even be able to point you in the right direction (although I'm not too hot on central Brighton).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also we need a NAME for this event, so please throw your ideas into the hat.
So far we have had:

"Pedalling For The People" - to commemorate the Albion fans who didn't get to see Falmer.

- "The Last Ride" - the fight is finally over. Albion fans have a new home.
- The Final Frontier
- The Seagulls Cycle Challenge
- ABC - AMEX Bike Challenge
- THE GREAT CYCLE HOME
- GROUNDS FOR CYCLING
- THE FOUR STADIUM TOUR
- For The Ones We Lost

This has the feel of a religious experience so I suggest The Amex Pilgrims (or The Falmer Pilgrims). It's not quite Chaucer as we're coming from Kent not going there, but there's a shrine at the end of the trip.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I'll do it if I'm allowed to sing "I'm cycling home" to the tune of three lions

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bike to the Future

Ooooh. Now that works for me. I like that.

Offers good potential for TLO in terms of poster artwork too :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here