Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Charity requests when paying by card

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not a lot different to the charity tin or jar that used to be on the counter of most shops, take aways, garages etc.

Donate if you want to or ignore, the choice is yours.
It's not though. Those will say they are collecting for Dave's Donkey Sanctuary or whatever charity it is.

This is a prompt saying do you want to add 20p on your bill for charity without specifying what "charity" it actually is. They always only seem to be at dodgy franchise petrol stations which makes me even less inclined to say yes. I'm with the OP on this.

Reactions: abc

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We seem to have gone from a few pounds in a bucket society to “can I sign you up with a direct debit each month” and frankly who on earth is going to do that (not under pressure) in the high street rushing about? Certainly not me! And that’s where it goes wrong IMO
Me. I was in St Wilfreds shop about 5 years ago (I do the rounds once a month looking for CDs) and they asked if I'd sign up to their lotterty for £1 a week.
I said "yes", thinking I'd do it for a few months then cancel.
Two weeks later I got a call saying I'd won first prize, £1000, so now I'll feel terribly guilty if I cancel it.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
It's the endless questions that wind me up

Do you want to round up for charity?
If you orders as a guest you won't gets POINTS.
Can I interest you in a trumpet?

Just put it all in the bin.

Well, can I interest you in a trumpet?

You haven’t answered the question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I will occasionally give to tin rattlers.

I never give to POS prompts. Especially the the ones that are set up to deliberately make you accidentally hit the donate button. Usually done by putting the YES where the NO option is on traditional forms.

Too many situations in life these days where people aren’t doing “the thing”, they’re fannying about with all the other things.

“The thing” in this case being talking payment for my purchase.

Just do THAT. Nothing else. I’ve come to buy things. Not give my money away.

Just do the f***ing thing.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Not really "asked to make a donation" though are you? It is an option on the machine (a non verbal one) that is offered to you, one that you just tap No to. Of all the things in the world currently, this is the one that annoys you enough to start a thread?
a) I can vouch, I was verbally asked last time I was at a services

b) personally this makes a better discussion point than say, comparing the Union flag to the French one

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here