Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The Poyet football was a joy to watch and we are slowly getting that back. We have been great to watch so far. We will hopefully keep improving and when we get the creative players back start scoring.

Well, that's one thing we agree on at least. A huge improvement is required. Mostly in squad quality.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hey, let's not beat ourselves up, it really is early and every game so far we have surpassed the same fixture of last season.

Here are the stats, a goal better off this year, more shots than last year, more possession and more touches and passes.

We are progressing. :banana::banana:

Attachments

• Chelsea v Bha 2019.PNG
    Chelsea v Bha 2019.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Chelse v BHA last yr.PNG
    Chelse v BHA last yr.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 144

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Why are you bringing up goals? I said the STYLE is much better. The way we play.

Yes, no need to worry about scoring when our play is so much better. The goals will come naturally because we will create more chances by just getting better naturally.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Absolute bollocks.

Chelsea are a top 6 club with strength pace and depth. we played some good football at times but took risks which cost us. given we did create a few chances, hit the bar from a corner, and rode our luck. 2-0 is hardly a hammering.

We do need to start taking advantage of a few teams though. It'll come. Tottenham next, they're on the slide a bit . . .

Mate this is the weakest Chelsea side in years Please have a think

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We do need to start taking advantage of a few teams though. It'll come. Tottenham next, they're on the slide a bit . . .
They'll be looking to end a long bad streak, not having won away since January. Trouble is, the probably know just the right place to look ...................................................

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Poyet football was a joy to watch and we are slowly getting that back. We have been great to watch so far. We will hopefully keep improving and when we get the creative players back start scoring.

I disagree. I thought the Poyet style was boring as hell. The back 4 would knock it around aimlessly just to run the clock down even when we were losing.

Potter wants the defenders to draw the opposition in so they can start a counterattack with one touch passing. It looks good when it comes off but the problem is we don't look confident playing with our backs turned to goal. Proper was the big miss today. The game could've been a different story had he started.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Has there been a worse player in the Premier League? Awaiting the Heroes to jump to his defence but you've got to admit that he is useless. We surely have better than him. Lazy running back and his awareness & passing is terrible. It was a poor performance but he is a league 2 player.

No, he's a perfectly serviceable premier league squad left back. Put him in a back four and he'll defend diligently and be a solid 1v1 defender. What he isn't is a left winger/left wing back which is where he appeared to play the majority of the second half. He's also not a league two defender. He's far, far better than that.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Spot on with the word embarrassing. I couldn't believe it when we extended his contract. Just seems so lazy and clueless.

most of the time it's fair to say that the club get it right. Bong's case is just bizarre. I'm just not sure how anyone can watch him play and think, yep, he's good enough for the premier league.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
With Chelsea not having won at home and Frank not having kept a clean sheet, that was a totally predictable result. But that is the trouble is was so predictable. Other teams can win at the top teams, why do our players always look like rabbits caught in headlights? Definitely our worse performance under Potter, even taking into account the injuries. We have not looked like scoring for the last 3 games, getting a bit worrying. I know, I need to be patient, the trouble is the Premier League looks very strong this season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They'll be looking to end a long bad streak, not having won away since January. Trouble is, the probably know just the right place to look ...................................................

Was it last season or the one before where they came to us on the back of a poor run (both europe and the league), and there was a sense they were there for the taking but we sat back kept it tight, allow them to grow in confidence and settle into their usual game and beat us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope Potter will learn from today. It was obvious early on that we weren't going to be able to play the way we wanted to and he had to change things and be more direct. Chelsea's attacking players are quick and good with their feet and we played most of the game in areas where this would benefit them.

Silly to bring Bong on. He's not a good attacking option. We would have got far more by leaving Alzate there, dropping Mooy and Gross further back and putting Murray on to help Maupay. This was a game for the old head of Glenn up against young centre backs who can make errors. It was a game against a team that have been poor at defending set pieces. We didn't win any set pieces. We didn't press their defenders into conceding them.

A very annoying watch because we made them look good by playing the exact way they wanted us to. Its early days, but we have to learn. That was the worst we've been since Potter arrived.

Good points.

In a protective way, I’m glad that Muzza didn’t play. The bores would be on him as THE cause of the defeat, as they have been for the last 25 months.

Almost every successful team has a target man of sorts to compete with opposing CB’s. Otherwise the ball will be constantly recycled by the opposition in yet another attack against us.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
No, he's a perfectly serviceable premier league squad left back. Put him in a back four and he'll defend diligently and be a solid 1v1 defender. What he isn't is a left winger/left wing back which is where he appeared to play the majority of the second half. He's also not a league two defender. He's far, far better than that.
We will have to agree to disagree. Put him at full back and as we know it's a penalty waiting to happen. I'm afraid if we want to stay out of the bottom 3 then we need better quality than him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good points.

In a protective way, I’m glad that Muzza didn’t play. The bores would be on him as THE cause of the defeat, as they have been for the last 25 months.

Almost every successful team has a target man of sorts to compete with opposing CB’s. Otherwise the ball will be constantly recycled by the opposition in yet another attack against us.

Maybe Liverpool and Man City are just better at punting it up to their target man ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, that's absolutely right - but surely you know that you're not allowed to say that on here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here