Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We will have to agree to disagree. Put him at full back and as we know it's a penalty waiting to happen. I'm afraid if we want to stay out of the bottom 3 then we need better quality than him.

A penalty waiting to happen at left back?! He must have played well over 100 games for us as left back. How many penalties has he given away? Genuinely? I can't think of one.

For the way that we play now I can agree that he's not really what we need. Doesn't make him a bad player and it certainly doesn't make him a league two player, We've spent two years in the premier league without spending a week in the bottom three and finished third and second in the championship with him in the team/squad.

I'll leave it there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolute bollocks.

Chelsea are a top 6 club with strength pace and depth. we played some good football at times but took risks which cost us. given we did create a few chances, hit the bar from a corner, and rode our luck. 2-0 is hardly a hammering.

We do need to start taking advantage of a few teams though. It'll come. Tottenham next, they're on the slide a bit . . .

Not me mate, this is one of the weakest Chelsea teams for a few years and if we were to break our no wins record today was the day but what did we produce non effective football between the 2 boxes with out first effort on 74 mins. Their penalty was as a result of a mistake when Webster should have put his foot through the ball when it arrived at his feet instead of thinking he was good enough to play it out. The keeper could have got his flask and sandwiches out as he had so little to do and didnt have to make a save as such. Very poor from BHA. but a plus point was that after his mistake Webster had a good game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was it last season or the one before where they came to us on the back of a poor run (both europe and the league), and there was a sense they were there for the taking but we sat back kept it tight, allow them to grow in confidence and settle into their usual game and beat us.

Very likely!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Radio Sussex is interesting. Gross, Montoya and Bong in the spotlight. “Montoya bullied out of it by several opponents”.

Why is our right side so often our PL weakness? Every opposing coach targets it en masse.

Well, last season we played Ali J there a fair few times so that wouldn't have helped and, well, to be blunt: Montoya isn't Bruno. But he's the best we have so we have to have faith in him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who's saying we haven't been outclassed tonight? Chelsea the better team all over the pitch. That coupled with countless errors by us means there was only ever going to be one result.

Ask the NSC board. Many posting, even in the second half, that we were playing good football, so much more enjoyable that in the past. Just a Connelly goal or two from a famous result. Meanwhile, in the real world.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
He’s a huge pessimist. But laying into him, detracts from another capitulation against Chelsea. Some other bottom half clubs are always far more competitive when they play their likes. They are not ManC, sold Hazard, couldn’t win for mustard at home ... but the sensible people here knew exactly what was coming.

I agree today. Had we lost 2-0 but threatened and competed I'd be quite happy. But to lose 2-0 and get completely outplayed and concede the amount of shots we did without a shot ourselves till so far into the second half is really disappointing, and quite worrying - it's so apparent now that our squad is terribly thin. Chelsea have looked shaky all season, all pundits in the build up to the game were talking about them at the back, and yet we rock up and can't get anywhere near the goal for 95% of the game.

Still early days though, other clubs around us will go through bad spells and get injuries etc. Not all doom and gloom just yet despite today. Only last week I was really positive about how we played against Newcastle and on another day maupays shot goes in and doesn't get fantastically cleared off the line. Need a bit of bloody luck too sometime soon

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Jesus wept, we are away to Chelsea and only losing because of an individual mistake that led to a pen.

0-2 to a side that got their first Premier League home win. Ok.

Something's not right. October is a huge month for the club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree today. Had we lost 2-0 but threatened and competed I'd be quite happy. But to lose 2-0 and get completely outplayed and concede the amount of shots we did without a shot ourselves till so far into the second half is really disappointing, and quite worrying - it's so apparent now that our squad is terribly thin. Chelsea have looked shaky all season, all pundits in the build up to the game were talking about them at the back, and yet we rock up and can't get anywhere near the goal for 95% of the game.

Still early days though, other clubs around us will go through bad spells and get injuries etc. Not all doom and gloom just yet despite today. Only last week I was really positive about how we played against Newcastle and on another day maupays shot goes in and doesn't get fantastically cleared off the line. Need a bit of bloody luck too sometime soon

Agree with everything said, good post.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Better for what, though? We've managed less goals so far than our start to either of the past two seasons.
Possession is all well and good, but (as we remember from the Poyet days) if you don't actually do much with it, it's a little pointless?

It’s work in progress. That’s first step.

Hughtons style has absolutely no progress and that was our limit with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Has NSC gone utterly mad?
Last season NSC: "Hughton's style is boring its crap, we should at least have a go. Losing and having a go is better."
This season NSC: "**** style, why are we playing football so much, we should defend more"

****ing idiotic you lot.

Plus
Locadia is crap, useless and should be nowhere near our club.
Now.
Getting rid of Locadia was madness.

boik

To be fair, this is the first game where we have been completely outplayed. City picked us off as they do, but we played well. Every other match we have competed very well, but have been unlucky/careless. I genuinely think Conolly will do well against the lower half teams if he gets the starts.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I only heard the commentary but Webster is said to have conceded the penalty. Question, Would Duffy be a safer option at a top Premiership ground ?

Would Duffy be better off getting back in the side.
We need goals all the time we are missing chances.
I see that Duffy does not fit in to our system but he did score goals (as did Dunk) and he is a very good and extremely strong defender.
If we don't start scoring soon from our chances maybe a tweak in the system is needed to bring Duffy back in alongside Dunk, let them get forward and put the ball in the net like they used to.
We didn't create chances today, but I was always hopeful that Duffy and Dunk would pop up with a goal when we were struggling.
Obviously I would prefer our forwards to start converting some chances.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Our issue also stems from a midfield that seem incapable of helping out the team by chipping in with goals. Today we played Mooy and Gross who would struggle to run 100yds in 20secs. The midfield was way too slow today. It needs energy and pace

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here