Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very odd day, we were back of lower tier behind the goal and ordered to sit down but could not see the goal in front of us as the lot infront around two steps down were allowed to stand.

Will avoid the lower tier if we go there again.

That lower stand is shocking. We were about half way back and because everybody was standing in front of us, we had to stand, and the top of the goal roof net in front of us obliterated the view of the far goal, so never saw the Chelsea goals.
Was it you lot rowing with the stewards at the end of the match?

I posted about this on the tickets thread for this game.

The back few rows of the lower tier are shocking. You feel like you're watching through a letterbox and bizarrely detached from the whole thing. This was our allocated view for the game last season - I think this was sitting down. If you stood, as you mention, you can see almost nothing of the far end. We were fortunate and were able to move as there were some empty seats at the last game. This time, we didn't make the same mistake with our seats!

56247962_10157121649723134_1302413901542981632_n.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I posted about this on the tickets thread for this game.

The back few rows of the lower tier are shocking. You feel like you're watching through a letterbox and bizarrely detached from the whole thing. This was our allocated view for the game last season - I think this was sitting down. If you stood, as you mention, you can see almost nothing of the far end. We were fortunate and were able to move as there were some empty seats at the last game. This time, we didn't make the same mistake with our seats!

View attachment 115723

A happy occurrence as we agree (for once)

Noted after today Upper Tier only at Chelsea of which have been previous two seasons

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Sadly relegation form after the Watford opener

I want Potter to succeed by the squad looks thins, not helped by the two loan moves after the PL deadline Both Locadia and Andone did well at Watford

Mind you Hughton had arguably a worse hand transfer wise.

Both Locadia and Andone asked to leave both have hardly set the world on fire where they have gone.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
DarrenFreemansPerm;90874 84 said:
Fair enough, he scored about 50 Premier League goals whilst playing for very average teams, something neither Knockaert or March have done or are ever likely to do.

Just had a ganders at his goal scoring record and to be fair it is pretty good 102 goals in 264 games

Here's his wonder goal:

Still stand by it, he was shithouse

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
That's a very blue-and-white-striped-glasses view. If not for some inspired blocking and some poor finishing, Chelsea would have been out of sight by half-time. We rode our luck MASSIVELY in the first half.

I'm surprised their xG for the game is only 4.62, but even that gives an indication of just how they blew us away (other than hit the back of the net)

View attachment 115719

Source: https://understat.com/match/11708

Whilst I take your point and agree that Chelsea should have buried the match in the first half the fact is they didn't. Playing away at Chelsea has been shocking the previous two season's and I am just happy that we vaguely gave it a go rather than put up the white flag the second the game kicks off.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Remind me again of Hughtons record v Chelsea?

Hughton's record against Chelsea:

2017-18
Away Shots 8
Away Shots on Target 1

Result 2-0

2018-19
Shots 3
Shots on Target 1

Result 3-0

Potter's record against Chelsea:

2019-20
Away Shots 8
Away Shots on Target 1

Result 2-0

Conclusion, change the manager and the stats are remarkably similar. But the football is easier on the eye, except Potter has broken up our once solid defence in favour of a high risk attacking style.

Emperors new clothes maybe?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
It’s work in progress. That’s first step.

Hughtons style has absolutely no progress and that was our limit with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, but the danger with this guy is we will get relegated and never see the likes of the Premier League again. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed, but the danger with this guy is we will get relegated and never see the likes of the Premier League again. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

I know it's all ifs and buts, but the truth is that other than yesterday and the 1st 20 mins v Burnley we have looked very comfortable in games in terms of possession and looking good on the ball - even nearly matching man city for possessuon despite ultimately losing (losing to city doesn't count though). We haven't played badly this season. It's not like watching some of the horrible performances last season - even first half of the season where we got incredibly lucky. This season we've been unlucky so far - with injuries and not getting the rub of the green.

I know, I know, if my aunt were my uncle and all that, but if we don't get key injuries so early on, or if Andone doesn't get sent off and we go on to deservedly beat soton by a couple, and if Burnley don't equalise in the dying moments (and/or we put away another of our chances), if Connollys shot doesn't get cleared off the line miraculously, we'd for example have around 4 more deserved points and everything would be rosy; no-one would have any reason to be questioning GPs new style, playing youngsters, letting others go out on loan.

Such, such fine margins so far this season, and I do feel quite sorry for GP so far really cos our position could so easily be deservedly much higher.

Ultimately though, it's a results based business as we all know.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Chelsea at homd have played Sheff Utd in their first game back in the Prem, a Leicester team that will go third with a win tomorrow and Liverpool who have won 7 from 7. We haven't been stuffed 0-8 like Watford against City last week. If you think we SHOULD get something away at Chelsea then you are delusional I'm afraid. They are paying 18 year olds more than our highest earners!

We were a crossbar away from equalising which would have turned the game on its head and who knows what would have happened. We didn't score and Chelsea scored a second that on another day gets deflected for a corner. A lot of over reacting on here tonight in my opinion. In general I think we are playing our best football since we've been in the Premier League, we just need to learn to be more clinical.
Yep.... how I see it, sensible and real view..... shot quota and injuries aside, we are on the right path.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I know it's all ifs and buts, but the truth is that other than yesterday and the 1st 20 mins v Burnley we have looked very comfortable in games in terms of possession and looking good on the ball - even nearly matching man city for possessuon despite ultimately losing (losing to city doesn't count though). We haven't played badly this season. It's not like watching some of the horrible performances last season - even first half of the season where we got incredibly lucky. This season we've been unlucky so far - with injuries and not getting the rub of the green.

I know, I know, if my aunt were my uncle and all that, but if we don't get key injuries so early on, or if Andone doesn't get sent off and we go on to deservedly beat soton by a couple, and if Burnley don't equalise in the dying moments (and/or we put away another of our chances), if Connollys shot doesn't get cleared off the line miraculously, we'd for example have around 4 more deserved points and everything would be rosy; no-one would have any reason to be questioning GPs new style, playing youngsters, letting others go out on loan.

Such, such fine margins so far this season, and I do feel quite sorry for GP so far really cos our position could so easily be deservedly much higher.

Ultimately though, it's a results based business as we all know.

I do agree with you, the thing that worries me is the high risk football we are now currently playing, I suppose in order for us to play attacking football something had to be sacrificed, mainly our defence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

That’s not a bad thing. Face it, footballs ****ed and the time is coming when a new PL or breakaway will be formed. We won’t even be invited, the authorities and media are obsessed with traditionally big clubs. We must have the lowest profile of any club in PL history. It’s fine saying we like being under the radar but that comes at a price. It’ll be a closed shop. We’re an after thought, likely to sit in the 2nd tier alongside the Readings and Middlesbrough’s.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That’s not a bad thing. Face it, footballs ****ed and the time is coming when a new PL or breakaway will be formed. We won’t even be invited, the authorities and media are obsessed with traditionally big clubs. We must have the lowest profile of any club in PL history. It’s fine saying we like being under the radar but that comes at a price. It’ll be a closed shop. We’re an after thought, likely to sit in the 2nd tier alongside the Readings and Middlesbrough’s.

Sorry but that's rubbish. We have as much right as anyone else to be in the Prem. Of course the bigger clubs get more media time, that's the case the world over, even the traditionally big clubs struggling will still get decent exposure. Lowest profile - ha, that's crap too. Bournemouth for example - they've done alright since being in the Prem! Certainly coped better than we have anyway and they're certainly traditionally 'lower profile' than we are. They get good exposure and are certainly not under the radar because of the football they've played and results since they've been in the prem. We've not had the same exposure cos we've generally played crap football in the prem and been low entertainment value. Theres a reason we're usually last on motd. If that changes, our exposure will change like Bournemouth's has and we'll get talked about a lot more.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry but that's rubbish. We have as much right as anyone else to be in the Prem. Of course the bigger clubs get more media time, that's the case the world over, even the traditionally big clubs struggling will still get decent exposure. Lowest profile - ha, that's crap too. Bournemouth for example - they've done alright since being in the Prem! Certainly coped better than we have anyway and they're certainly traditionally 'lower profile' than we are. They get good exposure and are certainly not under the radar because of the football they've played and results since they've been in the prem. We've not had the same exposure cos we've generally played crap football in the prem and been low entertainment value. If that changes, our exposure will change like Bournemouths.
Getting there and competing completely different. Bmuff are miles ahead of us and always have been since they joined. That’s because they’re a lot richer of course. But they too won’t be invited when change comes. So it’s not rubbish just because you disagree.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Getting there and competing completely different. Bmuff are miles ahead of us and always have been since they joined. That’s because they’re a lot richer of course. But they too won’t be invited when change comes. So it’s not rubbish just because you disagree.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Getting there and competing are different. And Bournemouth, being a traditionally very low profile club as you put it, have competed, and get a lot of exposure for how they play and entertain. So what I meant is that we don't not get exposure just because we're a low profile club, we don't get exposure cos we've been very low in terms of entertainment.

It's not rocket science that the big profile teams get a lot of media exposure despite what league they're in - they're big clubs so of course they will. As for a breakaway league, well that's all hypothetical anyway and imo i don't think a breakaway like you suggest will happen anyway

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah, that's what I meant. Getting there and competing are different. And Bournemouth, being a traditionally very low profile club as you put it, have competed, and get a lot of exposure for how they play and entertain. So what I meant is that we don't not get exposure just because we're a low profile club, we don't get exposure cos we've been very low in terms of entertainment.

It's not rocket science that the big profile teams get a lot of media exposure despite what league they're in - they're big clubs so of course they will. As for a breakaway league, well that's all hypothetical anyway and imo i don't think a breakaway like you suggest will happen anyway

100% agreed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do agree with you, the thing that worries me is the high risk football we are now currently playing, I suppose in order for us to play attacking football something had to be sacrificed, mainly our defence.

We lost two nil trying to bore Chelsea to death by camping in our penalty area last year, no sacrifice yesterday just a desire to look like a Premier League team with half the first choice players injured.

Give me yesterday’s set up over the CH one every day of the week and twice on a Sunday

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Hughton's record against Chelsea:

2017-18
Away Shots 8
Away Shots on Target 1

Result 2-0

2018-19
Shots 3
Shots on Target 1

Result 3-0

Potter's record against Chelsea:

2019-20
Away Shots 8
Away Shots on Target 1

Result 2-0

Conclusion, change the manager and the stats are remarkably similar. But the football is easier on the eye, except Potter has broken up our once solid defence in favour of a high risk attacking style.

Emperors new clothes maybe?
Your comparison is against a weak Chelsea side lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here