Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Christmas COVID rules fresh from the horses' mouths

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Apologies if this has been covered, but a query.

The three households rule will cover our immediate family on and around Christmas Day. We also have an old friend, now living alone. Assuming we remain in tier one, we will resume our habit of regularly visiting him at his home come 2 December. Am I right in thinking that we will be able to visit him every day in December apart from the Christmas concession period, when the three household rule comes in and he will be required by law to spend his days alone?

I’ve been trying to find the same answer. I’ve read somewhere that the normal Tier rules apply for everyone during Xmas so if in T1 the groups of 6 apply. However the same article also said that was an oversight in that new rules have been brought in from 23rd Dec but old rules haven’t ended, so a loophole exists for now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve been trying to find the same answer. I’ve read somewhere that the normal Tier rules apply for everyone during Xmas so if in T1 the groups of 6 apply. However the same article also said that was an oversight in that new rules have been brought in from 23rd Dec but old rules haven’t ended, so a loophole exists for now.

But, as I asked above, I think we're still waiting to learn what the new stricter rules will be in each tier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apologies if this has been covered, but a query.

The three households rule will cover our immediate family on and around Christmas Day. We also have an old friend, now living alone. Assuming we remain in tier one, we will resume our habit of regularly visiting him at his home come 2 December. Am I right in thinking that we will be able to visit him every day in December apart from the Christmas concession period, when the three household rule comes in and he will be required by law to spend his days alone?

It's a fair point, if a tricky one to satisfactorily answer. Those of us lucky enough to be Tier 1 will effectively be more restricted across those 5 days in some ways.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's a fair point, if a tricky one to satisfactorily answer. Those of us lucky enough to be Tier 1 will effectively be more restricted across those 5 days in some ways.

That's my situation too. Two sets of grandparents wanting to see their only grandchilds first birthday and Christmas over the period. If we were in Tier1, rule of 6 would be fine, one set of grandparents each day with our siblings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think most decent folk, should they be intending to mix households over Christmas, will do their utmost to limit contact with others ahead of that. I only caught a brief snippet on the 5Live breakfast show this morning, but they seemed to be suggesting a sentiment that a lot of families will take their kids out of school early in order to facilitate that. I'm not sure where they got that from.

LBC and 5live have had many parents over the last week, not sure if someone's trying to make a name for themselves with yet another a movement on Twatter or Facebook, calling for a 3 or 4 week Christmas holiday. "It's only right" so that their kids can see grandparents over Christmas. Promising to quarantine the family for 14 days before Christmas Eve.

Imho another chunk taken out of the academic year, so that those families meet their grandparents at this Christmas particularly, is over the top.

Some talk about then shortening future school holidays to make up for it. That's not going to happen and wouldn't help year 11 and 13 kids who'd permanently lose these weeks of learning. Why should teachers have a curtailed summer 2021 holiday, because of the demands of some parents now over Christmas?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Curious about how so many posters keep saying loads/many will break lockdown rules. I reckon that the majority would comply and only a minority wouldn't.

You clearly don't live in Swale, unfortunately I do, the place is currently inhabited by care for nobody but themselves fukwits...

3 households, yeh right!

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Curious about how so many posters keep saying loads/many will break lockdown rules. I reckon that the majority would comply and only a minority wouldn't.

Only 18% of people who have symptoms and should self-isolate do so.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You clearly don't live in Swale, unfortunately I do, the place is currently inhabited by care for nobody but themselves fukwits...

3 households, yeh right!

Think its fair to say hardly anyone will be more careful as the result of the Christmas easing of the rules.:down:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
LBC and 5live have had many parents over the last week, not sure if someone's trying to make a name for themselves with yet another a movement on Twatter or Facebook, calling for a 3 or 4 week Christmas holiday. "It's only right" so that their kids can see grandparents over Christmas. Promising to quarantine the family for 14 days before Christmas Eve.

Imho another chunk taken out of the academic year, so that those families meet their grandparents at this Christmas particularly, is over the top.

Some talk about then shortening future school holidays to make up for it. That's not going to happen and wouldn't help year 11 and 13 kids who'd permanently lose these weeks of learning. Why should teachers have a curtailed summer 2021 holiday, because of the demands of some parents now over Christmas?

I really don’t get this.

Why are we putting Christmas above everything else?

Social media is full of parents saying shut the schools to save Christmas etc.

With the job figures announced today, maybe they should be more worried about children's education and having a job?

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Exactly this - all those moaning can if they want just stay at home on their - it's their choice - time for people to take personal responsibility.

It's your choice what you do, but the point is other people's choices will affect you. You can see no-one for those 5 days but you will still be more at risk after when you or your household go to shops/school/work etc. Pressure on the NHS and economy will affect you as will more restrictions and lockdowns in future

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Exactly this - all those moaning can if they want just stay at home on their - it's their choice - time for people to take personal responsibility.

That is the problem through. People think they can do what they want, ignore rules but blame everyone else when things go pear shaped. They are too stupid to make a choice of their own and want to follow the selfish herd.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's your choice what you do, but the point is other people's choices will affect you. You can see no-one for those 5 days but you will still be more at risk after when you or your household go to shops/school/work etc. Pressure on the NHS and economy will affect you as will more restrictions and lockdowns in future

Schools don’t go back till the new year, Most people would be showing symptoms by then

The new Tiers are announced tomorrow, but it looks like they all say WFH as well/restrictions on care homes etc so it won’t be spreading at the rate suggested

We are in this situation till April/May at the earliest - the suggestion of more restrictions will just mean more people will just do what they want over Christmas.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
All University of Brighton students are being offered lateral flow tests starting on Monday. They get two tests a few days apart and if they test positive they then go for a PCR test. If they test negative at lateral flow stage (after the second test) they travel home asap.

Positive PCR tests must isolate for 10 days then travel home.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't help but think this is a really stupid idea by our current Government.

Today Sunak told us UK economy will contract by 11.7% this year, worst for 300 years. Just remember folks if we're not sensible it won't just be cases and deaths, but another lockdown will be just more pain for business and job losses to follow.

Is it worth it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here