Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas Markets

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One here as well of course... although personally, I preferred the ones in Germany, but if youve done Germany and want somewhere different...

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Cologne without doubt. When we went there were six different markets. Haven't been anywhere better, although Strasbourg is good.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I'd like to add m vote for Cologne. I went last year with the girlfriend and it was bloody lovely. A nice glass of Kolsch, a small glass, so you drink it whilst it's still cold and as soon as you finish the waiter, in their proud traditional uniform will supply a new glass, without you even having to ask. The Gluewein (sic) is lovely too, as are the horrendously unhealthy deep fried potato fritter things. I actually want to go again after talking about it.

Nick Rowles

Naughty Nick
Jan 20, 2010
Uxbridge
Xmas markets

Having lived in Germany for years I recommend Aachen and Cologne but they are extremely busy at the weekends. Cologne has about 4 different markets and is easy to fly to with plenty of hotels, it's less than 1 hour by train to Aachen. Leave the car and enjoy the Gluhwein. If you want somewhere with less tourists go to Vienna, several markets and plenty to see and do and my preferred choice.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would second Vienna, lots of good shopping and the normal christmas market stuff.

Would also throw Salzburg into the hat, very lovely.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Mingle with loads of different nationalities & ethnic groups loving the German Christmas market in Brum-not so cold as Europe and the best currywurst I've tasted since Hameln in the Dark Ages :drink:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Actually had a really cold time in Cologne too (and the away end at MSV Duisburg watching St. Pauli was freezing), though think that was unusual. Nuremburg is the most famous, but it really is just too crowded.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
German markets are great - quality unique products - no plastic tack that you get in a uk markets - good prices as well - plus good food and drinks

If you like a beer and nightlife its Dusseldorf for me - Europes best kept secret - longest bar in the world (more bars per area in old town) Diobalds Alt Beer

The nearest Saturday to 6th Dec is St.Nickoli - Great party spiritto put you in the mood for Christmas

Stylish shopping centre, Cologne a short train ride away

Many Bundersleague clubs in area

Enjoy!!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Berlin's is excellent. And, if you want to get in the mood for Christmas, Berlin is particularly freezing cold in December.

Berlin is particularly freezing cold in January and February too - it's like stepping into a freezer going there.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Avoid Brugge

Went on a coach excursion from Brighton and when we got there it was very disappointing. About twenty stalls selling more or less the same thing. Total waste of time and resources :rant:

Are you sure you were in Bruges? It's a f***ing lovely place. Ok the markets (there's more than one) aren't all that, but what do you want them to sell. The place is rammed with lovely bars, restaurants and chocolate shops and really christmassy.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Bird_Meerkat_XmasBLOG.jpg

Quality
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Nuremberg is only one I've done other than London. Was a great weekend and deffo recommend it. Can't say how it compares to others though obviously.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There's a quite delightful outside Churchil Square?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The Frankfurt Christmas Market in Birmingham is excellent. Seriously!
Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market has become a huge favourite with both residents and visitors to the city from all over the UK and Europe. Combined with the city’s own Christmas Craft Fair of local traders, it offers a total of over 180 stalls to browse and enjoy.

Open daily from 12 November to 23 December, 10am-9pm, it is the largest authentic German market outside of Germany and Austria and is arguably one of the most popular Christmas markets in the UK.

Enjoy the feel of a small village within the heart of the bustling city centre, with picturesque wooden chalets offering traditional handcrafted gifts, including jewellery, wooden toys, dolls and candles.

Visitors’ senses will be delighted as they are invited to enjoy the Glühwein (German mulled wine), German beers, traditional sausages, meats, sweets, marzipans, breads and pastries.

A truly continental atmosphere is conjured up by the lights, sounds and smells of this unique spectacle that is imported in its entirety and then installed in the beautiful setting of Birmingham's Victoria Square.

The whole experience will be enhanced with live music every lunchtime and evening from a traditional bandstand.

A truly international welcome and a unique shopping experience await all visitors to the heart of Birmingham this Christmas!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Thanks for the advice all, I was going to book Munich but on second thoughts think I'll do Cologne instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here