Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm loving reading about these Universities that have removed statues and renamed buildings that have been associated with this historic and barbaric practice; have yet to read about any of them returning money / buildings and land to the families.

An interesting point. Though I think reparations is something we as a planet are a bit beyond, as there were far too many European, American, and West African communities involved in the Atlantic slave trade, and I'm not including all the other slave trade routes here, to make it easy to work out who owes what to whom (you could find that you owe yourself some reparation).

Personally, I think it is all too easily forgotten that this country played an active role through the Royal Navy in physically bringing the Atlantic slave trade to a stop; something that wasn't entirely legal at the time.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think its more about how the statue was removed rather than whether it should be removed or not

Precisely.

Done by official methods, an eyebrow would not have been raised.

Now, if something pees one off, one can trash it.

200.gif

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm loving reading about these Universities that have removed statues and renamed buildings that have been associated with this historic and barbaric practice; have yet to read about any of them returning money / buildings and land to the families. Can't have it all ways?

If you haven't read about the reparations movement then I can only assume that is because you haven't actually tried. Or wanted to try.
It's not a simple issue obviously and I wouldn't pretend to have a grasp of all the nuance and complications.. But there is plenty of discussion, writing and activism on it.

Eg relating to this specific Bristol case: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-56258320 and more generally: https://fortune.com/2020/06/18/george-floyd-protests-uk-slavery-reparations/

Interesting fact, when slavery was abolished slave owners were paid (huge at the time) compensation. Slaves were not.
The government took out loans to pay the compensation and the repayment of those loans only ended in 2015. So up until then somewhere, someone, has been happily profiting from that sordid saga. And we still (as far as I am aware) donlt know who that was.

Have a read about it here: https://taxjustice.net/2020/06/09/slavery-compensation-uk-questions/

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you haven't read about the reparations movement then I can only assume that is because you haven't actually tried. Or wanted to try.
It's not a simple issue obviously and I wouldn't pretend to have a grasp of all the nuance and complications.. But there is plenty of discussion, writing and activism on it.

Eg relating to this specific Bristol case: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-56258320 and more generally: https://fortune.com/2020/06/18/george-floyd-protests-uk-slavery-reparations/

Interesting fact, when slavery was abolished slave owners were paid (huge at the time) compensation. Slaves were not.
The government took out loans to pay the compensation and the repayment of those loans only ended in 2015. So up until then somewhere, someone, has been happily profiting from that sordid saga. And we still (as far as I am aware) donlt know who that was.

Have a read about it here: https://taxjustice.net/2020/06/09/slavery-compensation-uk-questions/

Yes some people became very rich on the abolition of slavery.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Cuts both ways, can you imagine what this thread would look like if a mob from the opposite side of the cculture war had smashed something up and been acquitted ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I can't imagine what the opposite side of the culture war could argue was a legitimate object to remove, can you? If the culture war is those who don't want honorific statues to historic figures if they have been despicable, v those that want to honor an historic figure for their good deeds, despite any despicable aspects of their life, surely the act would be to put up statues, not take them down.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Cuts both ways, can you imagine what this thread would look like if a mob from the opposite side of the cculture war had smashed something up and been acquitted ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Why does everything have to be a "culture war"? It's thoroughly depressing how pretty much anything these days has to be framed as "woke" (or the opposite, whatever that's called). On the flip side, it's mildly entertaining how easy it is to upset people when something even marginally progressive happens!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I think its more about how the statue was removed rather than whether it should be removed or not

no it isn't. If it was purely that - it wouldn't be a national story, no one would give a flying fig.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
.. and I'm sure you can read.

Two of the defence arguments (based on law) was:

1) They had consent to do so
2) The statue being there was against the law itself

.. and the jury agreed.

They had consent to launch a statue belonging to somebody else into a river?

Funny old world.

PS. Ta for the explanation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They had consent to launch a statue belonging to somebody else into a river?

Funny old world.

PS. Ta for the explanation.

That's a defence in law. It's not criminal damage if you reasonably believed you had consent to do so by the "owners".

Since the statue was publicly (not privately) owned by the "People of Bristol" who best placed placed to judge ? Probably 12 randomly selected members of the Bristol general public.

They also argued that the statue itself was a public order offence.

I think lastly some argument about a prosecution being disproportionate to the crime.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
That's a defence in law. It's not criminal damage if you reasonably believed you had consent to do so by the "owners".

Since the statue was publicly (not privately) owned by the "People of Bristol" who best placed placed to judge ? Probably 12 randomly selected members of the Bristol general public.

I see what you're saying.

I'll stick with the 'slippery slope'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
How do you stick on a slippery slope? Surely you slip?

:facepalm:

What ARE you prattling on about?

In post #145 I pointed out that I thought the decision set a dangerous precedent and set us on a slippery slope.

I am sticking with that.

Not TOO difficult a concept, or so I thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here