Votes: 39 46.4%
  • You wot?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I hate it - but I used to love it. I used to run an website entirely in it, until people moaned about it being difficult to read, so I switched, and now I see their point.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I used to like it. But it is now over-used. As previously mentioned, sometimes it can be difficult to read.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
depends how big you make it, a reasonable size is easy to read, a webpage made entirely of Comic Sans isn't the wisest thing, though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MYOB said:
Swiss721BT - Its a BitStream font, very, very nice for professional typesetting - but its also very good on screen.

I delete Comic Sans from my PC's.

Yer wally. Swiss721 is the same font as Helvetica (the clue should be in the name.) Every computer has Helvetica.

It's the most common sans serif font, and used properly in a variety of weights, kerning and expansion, can look very effective. Notable corporate users are

Orange
Ford
BBC News 24

It's just most people don't know how to use it - so it can look very boring.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
i don't know what it is called on MS Word but I really like the font they use for the ingredients list on bottles of blue wicked.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
We speak of very little else in the South Stand at White Hart Lane. . .

Er. . . ? ???

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
Yer wally. Swiss721 is the same font as Helvetica (the clue should be in the name.) Every computer has Helvetica.

Its not the same font, in the same way that Arial and Helvetica aren't the same font (similarity != the same). Swiss 721 BT was originally an anti-aliased version of Helvetica. Its also cheaper. A *lot* cheaper. Its distributed in the Be Operating System and with Corel vector graphics tools. I use it as my screen font, on my CV, etc. (even though Be intended the f-ugly Dutch801 Bitstream as the screenfont).

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Well said MYOB.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Comic is for bored receptionist who have nothing better to do than send out little memos to the compnay asking people to keep the fridge clean, tidy up thier desks or not play with the thermostats.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Downloaded Penguin said:
You can't make websites with Swiss721BT as no one has it, so everyone will see the font as Times New Roman.
Only if you're a poor website designer. You can specify which subsitiute fonts to use if the client machine doesn't have your preferred font installed.

PS - I'm ashamed I know that. Us real programmers don't care about stuff like that, we believe that web site design (like tennis) is for poofs and girls. Same for novelty fonts. Well said beorhthelm!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
beorhthelm said:
Comic is for bored receptionist who have nothing better to do than send out little memos to the compnay asking people to keep the fridge clean, tidy up thier desks or not play with the thermostats.

and those lost office souls who actually take pleasure in composing instructions on using the lavs:

Please be thoughtful how you sprinkle
When in here to have a tinkle
Leave things looking nice and sweet
Don't forget to wipe the seat

(no, I didn't make it up!:eek: )

Like it, although I use it sparingly (usually only for the headline on posters I put together for a seminar I run - it's very eye-catching and oh so much better than dull Times/Times New Roman, which is the norm around here)

I use arial for my work.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Comic Sans should be banned... along with Arial, Times New Roman (on websites) and Sand (do you PC folks have this). Give me Verdana for web sites any day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here