Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations & other stuff...

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
The police will only allow 2,400 fans to be in the Upper Tier. This is to cordon off some of the seats to the side of the stand.

If you sell these fast enough you will be given a futher 900 or so tickets on the lower tier. Taking the allocation up to 3,300.

Again, sections nearest the side stands and the front rows are cordoned off by the police.

*Brighton would have to pay for the extra stewarding in the lower tier as well (as Charlton did last season).

Only Arsenal, Everton, West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Norwich City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Charlton Athletic, Nottingham Forest and Palace (on their first ever visit, never since) has used the Top & Lower tier the 18 years we've been at the new ground.

I've seen the likes of the mighty Derby County and Birmingham City bring less than 200 fans. One season Manchester City, who had been terrorising the likes of York City & Macclesfield, brought a pitiful 1,200 fans, despite no restrictions.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
I always get off at New Cross and walk the 15mins or so to the ground. I live in Croydon so after the game I just hang lefft on vacating ths tand and mingle with the locals walking back to New Cross. i must say they are still quite unpleasant no matter what you say mate.

I was at the game in 76 - not a very nice experience.

I would never make out we our angels. We are, after all, an inner city London club with no history of success. It would be naiive to think we could not have some unsavory characters following us. The bedrock of the support is still drawn from the estates of Walworth, Deptford, New Cross, Bermondsey, Peckham and Rotherhithe.

However, last Saturday we played Leeds United at 3pm, in front of 17,000 and the worse that happened was they threw a few bottles and there was a bit of argy bargy at London Bridge. In 1985 there were people on the pitch with snooker balls in socks v Leeds. That's progress at least.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
I also remember the following season after we were promoted. At the Goldstone very early in the season, may have even been the first game, Millwall went 2 up before we came back to win 3-2.
Old (not wise) memory sometimes errors these days, so could have that wrong

According to the Millwall History files The Millwall History Files you indeed did.

You also beat us at The Den 1-0.

That looked an awful season for us. Finishing 16th, getting beat by Palace home & away..very rare. However, we did get to the Q-F of the FA Cup, knocked out by eventual winners Ipswich Town, and held Spurs to a 2-2 draw in front of 33,000 Londoners.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I like the globe boozer nr. southwark - since I work in London.

It's a Millwall match day local - but just love the area.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I would never make out we our angels. We are, after all, an inner city London club with no history of success. It would be naiive to think we could not have some unsavory characters following us. The bedrock of the support is still drawn from the estates of Walworth, Deptford, New Cross, Bermondsey, Peckham and Rotherhithe.

However, last Saturday we played Leeds United at 3pm, in front of 17,000 and the worse that happened was they threw a few bottles and there was a bit of argy bargy at London Bridge. In 1985 there were people on the pitch with snooker balls in socks v Leeds. That's progress at least.

But that's enough about your midfield: your full-backs were tooled-up with machetes!

ps Great contribution MPH. Do come back & say hello when the fancy takes ya. I must confess that I used to loathe Millwall, but over the years I've developed a respect of your club & its support. I'm looking forward to another trip up to South Bermondsey next season - unless you upset the apple-cart & storm them Play Offs again. Best of luck with that run-in. :thumbsup:

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
But that's enough about your midfield: your full-backs were tooled-up with machetes!

ps Great contribution MPH. Do come back & say hello when the fancy takes ya. I must confess that I used to loathe Millwall, but over the years I've developed a respect of your club & its support. I'm looking forward to another trip up to South Bermondsey next season - unless you upset the apple-cart & storm them Play Offs again. Best of luck with that run-in. :thumbsup:

Ha. Thanks. We certainly have Leeds sweating again. Although, I think we shall just miss out. Which could be a blessing in disguise, as this is no flash in the pan. This Millwall is built on rock, not sand. I think we'll have an even more surprising season next year-we are building up to something special under Berylson & Jackett.

It's funny; every non Lion I've taken to The Den, Old & New has developed a soft spot for the boys from the Old Kent Road. Even a Guardian reading, lefty, veggie fellow teacher. She said it was like a rough, run down pub, it had it's faults, but also its charms. On a Saturday night with the Juke Box blurring out and the unique characters it attracted having good ole time it could be the best of places to be..I liked that comparission.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I've been to Millwall v Palace/Charlton games were both have brought less than 1,000 fans.

When was that?

We took 2,996 last time we played at your place, which considering how poor our away support is in general is damn impressive, although the less said about the result (4-0) and the 75 minute queue to get on a train at South Bermondsey afterwards the better. Mind you, it sounds from other threads like 75 minute queues are going to be a feature of Falmer too...

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
What chance Millwall will be the first home game at the Amex?

Funny enough, Millwall's first ever game at The Den, and indeed in south London, as opposed to the Isle of Dogs, was versus Brighton & Hove Albion. The then Southern League Champions. The Seagulls up-setting 40,000 south Londoners (and Eastenders) by winning 1-0.

It would be great to repay the favour and get a bit of revenge.

By the way, have you got a special friendly organised to open the new ground? I should know this I know.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
When was that?

We took 2,996 last time we played at your place, which considering how poor our away support is in general is damn impressive, although the less said about the result (4-0) and the 75 minute queue to get on a train at South Bermondsey afterwards the better. Mind you, it sounds from other threads like 75 minute queues are going to be a feature of Falmer too...

Back in 1996. It was a mid-week game. And ironically the first time you had beaten us at The Den (or at all) in decades. It was the famous south London derby in the snow match.

And at the Old Den in the late 70s & 80s it was not uncommon for Charlton or Palace not to bring more than 1,000. Unless, they were quietly hiding in the home areas?

And to be fair, filling the away of a team that plays 3 miles away should be par the course. Although, you are better than Palace.

Once again this season...we take 5,000 there (which is pretty easy, given it's 7 miles away), but they bring 2,000 to ours.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
You could organise Brighton v Gillingham as the friendly to open it. Now you know you won't be playing them next season.

Be a nice way to get closure. And to show off to Scally!

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I usually try and catch a game or two at the den with a millwall supporting mate and went up on tuesday for the bristol city game, as I couldn't get a ticket for our promotion game.
I hate to say it, but I saw a guy knocked out at south bermondsey station and a load of racist abuse going on in the stand. Now, I like your club, but until these things get sorted out then it is unlikely that the 'wall will be able to attact a wider audience to come to the den (home or away fans). That said - the millwall board do seem to try their best, but it must be depressing how these problems linger at a few clubs and progress is slow.

Anyway - all the best to you guys. I'm looking forward to next seasons game already.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
As a Brighton based Millwall fan I would like to first say congratulations on promotion. Nobody deserves a day in the sun more than Albion fans.

I teach in Brighton and have hopefully converted a number of local kids to support the club, or at least given them the inclination to think about it. I was always asked 'Why do you support Millwall, they're rubbish?' To which my simple reply was 'That maybe so, but they're my local side. That's why you should get down & support the Seagulls. It's a much more rewarding experience than supporting Liverpool or Manchester United, even if they are sometimes rubbish. The good times are more personal, it means much more'.

Anyways, the diehards that had to put up with travelling to Gillingham, of all places, and the Withdean will be very much rewarded at the new stadium, it looks fantastic.

I think Brighton & Hove Albion will do very well next season. I predicted them to win League One & I think they'll finish top half next season. Maybe even flirt with the play-offs. What I've noticed about the Championship that marks it from League One is:

1) Tactics are very important here. We're lucky in that we have in Jackett an exceptional tactician. He has out-thought many managers at this level, despite having pretty much the same team we got promoted with.

2) The additions we have made were very much needed: A powerful & quick ball playing defensive midfield in Tam Mkandawire and players that can create chances in tight games against packed midfields; Bouazza and Townsend.

This is because Championship teams are big. I mean huge. The midfielders are very powerful & athletic. And teams will come to you with packed midfields that need breaking down & chances are tight.

However, I am sure Brighton will do well, ourselves, Leeds United and Norwich City all have. No reason why Albion cannot follow that. There are some real mediocore teams in here; however, nearly all have one very good player than can turn a game, hence the fact that results are so unpredictable in this division. Even Palace, who have struggled, have much better players than we faced in League One, over 10 games they would still come out on top v say the much hyped Southampton.

A couple of questions/points..

What away allocation is there? Obviously everyone will want to go to this. I think we could bring 5,000 easy if allowed. However, I heard it was a more conservative 2,500 odd.

RE: Thread about Glenn Murray.

I am sure Jackett would be interested in him, as he is on a free. Who wouldn't be? However, I doubt he would leave you for us. Maybe, someone like Derby County, Leicester City, Ipswich Town might tempt him? Who knows.

Anyways...just to clear up some misconceptions on that Glen Murray thread, as some were quite amusing, or just plain wrong. If at all you are interested (some may not be, so forget this part of the post...)

Our chairman is John Berylson. He is from one of the wealthiest families in America. However, he's personal wealth is not huge. Our finaces rest with his involvement with Chestnut Hill Ventures. Via them Berylson has basically written off the debts we acquire every season.

Whilst we are not wealthy in a Blackburn under Jack Walker sense, he has said any amount of money is available for transfers (the club bid £2m for Charlie Austin) and wages (Morison is now on £12k a week). However, he & Kenny Jackett do not want us to spend millions on players & break wage structures for quick progress. He wants Millwall FC built on strong foundations.

The club is very lucky at the moment in the fact it can start with a clear balance sheet every season. For a small club like us this is vital in competing with the likes of Leeds, Derby etc..

The long-term aim is to make the club self-funding. One poster baulked at the idea of Millwall's Sports Village. However, if he knew personally of the transformation of parts of Bermondsey he wouldn't be so quick to mock. Chestnut Hill hope to secure planning permission to turn the commercial sites around the stadium into housing of over 3,500 houses/apartments. This includes the industrial estates on Surrey Canal Road and the land adjacent to South Bermondsey station (currently occupied by travellers). Furthermore, the ground will be redesigned to incorporate leisure facilities, as well as fill in the corners.

Bermondsey is close to the city and is under transformation into a vibrant place to live (see Bermondsey Village). Hopefully, with the building of a new tube station on Surrey Canal Road (next to the ground) will only further increase the areas prospects. All of which will benefit the club.

At the moment Millwall are averaging 13,000 a game, with highs of 17,000 (Leeds & Palace) and a low of 9,000 V Scunthorpe on Sky. This is small by Championship standards. We need to find ways of increasing the matchday support, and of securing outside revenue (Millwall Sports Village).

Having up to 10,000 new residents literally next to the ground, place a tube station & rental revenue from the Leisure & shop facilities this will help us compete at the top end of the Championship.

Sorry, for tagging that on, but, some were speculating a lot on the other thread.

Anyways, see you next season! Can't wait.
Hi bud and good post:thumbsup:
Although what gives you the impression you could bring 5k?
You are not known for large away followings unless its a london fixture???

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Mullery must have pressed the right buttons because a totally different Albion came out for the second half. Ward got an early goal back and in a rousing performance came back to win 3-2, which set the tone for a cracking season thereafter.

If I remember rightly, we were 0-2 down at half time and Mullery gave the team a quick dressing down and then sent them back out early and made them sit on the pitch for ten minutes before the second half started.

Had the desired effect!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
And at the Old Den in the late 70s & 80s it was not uncommon for Charlton or Palace not to bring more than 1,000. Unless, they were quietly hiding in the home areas?

Have to admit I did that on more than one occasion when the Albion played there in late 70s/early 80s because I thoight it would be safer, Debatable!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If I remember rightly, we were 0-2 down at half time and Mullery gave the team a quick dressing down and then sent them back out early and made them sit on the pitch for ten minutes before the second half started.

Had the desired effect!

That was a bank holiday, and the game was on a Monday. There was trouble in town on the FRIDAY night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here