Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curbs on EU benefits to come into force on 1 January!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Get a different job.
Out of interest how much do you think benefits should be? so far we have food, heating, internet and car, anything else?

You make it sound so easy to get another job. I'm about to be made redundant and I can assure you the market is shite. I have a family to support, a house to keep going - yet I'm expected to do this on £75 JSA a week ( other benefits are available but take around 3 months to even get assessed ). I won't even get free prescriptions. I have paid ten's of thousands in tax over my working life and your answer is ..... get a different job ! Some people really do not live in the real world.

There are plenty of people out there who are in a worse situation then me - the attitude of some that "all people on benefits are scroungers" really pisses me off as most the people with this attitude haven't been out of work. Maybe we should change the system to your payouts are based on what you've paid in ? Then people like me would get reasonable assistance and poor people would get a pittance but then they are surely used to living like that ? ( Sarcasm before my statement is taken seriously ).

Jan 30, 2008
It's all smoke and mirrors - a "look how tough we are" stance that is entirely undermined by the fact that EU residents can claim benefits from their home government for three months wherever they are in the EU. So I could go to France and claim 3 months of benefits from the British government. This begs the question - what is the point of this new legislation making immigrants wait three months ?

PISS OFF TO FRANCE THEN:facepalm:..... YOU ALWAYS GET ONE :rolleyes:
regards
DR

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
As the child of two migrant workers, I'd be interested to know what you think was so wrong about my parents to be honest.

I see you are playing your wally act again, come back when you are feeling grown up again

Last edited:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
So every time someone is made redundant they have to retrain to be able to get a job that does not require the internet or a car!?
I think everyone has the right to a minimum standard of living. Incentives to get people to work should not be financial. If people are educated properly and correctly then they will have a greater desire to have a job and contribute. Education is the answer for me not making people as poor as possible if they happen not to have a job.

No I never said that. But if you do not have money put aside and you have to live on benefits then why should you have the right to a car? someone else on this thread saying after they have paid(theoretically or not? im not to sure about that) the insurance etc they have less than five pound per day for food. Well you obviously cannot afford a car in that case.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
You make it sound so easy to get another job. I'm about to be made redundant and I can assure you the market is shite. I have a family to support, a house to keep going - yet I'm expected to do this on £75 JSA a week ( other benefits are available but take around 3 months to even get assessed ). I won't even get free prescriptions. I have paid ten's of thousands in tax over my working life and your answer is ..... get a different job ! Some people really do not live in the real world.

There are plenty of people out there who are in a worse situation then me - the attitude of some that "all people on benefits are scroungers" really pisses me off as most the people with this attitude haven't been out of work. Maybe we should change the system to your payouts are based on what you've paid in ? Then people like me would get reasonable assistance and poor people would get a pittance but then they are surely used to living like that ? ( Sarcasm before my statement is taken seriously ).

I do not make it sound easy but I am a realist.
I have been out of work, let go, made redundant and pushed out of my job because they can pay a eastern European less than half what they would have to pay me. Okay now I have enough money not to worry about such things but I have not always been like that.
Trust me I could have a job within four weeks if I needed one, two weeks if not over the christmas period and that is without using anyone I know or anyone of my contacts. I was once let go on a Friday and there was nothing about after ringing people, on the Monday I arranged a job interview with an agency for the following day to go and sweep the fecking streets. Okay it was a shite job but at least it would pay the bills and feed the family, but luckily I got a call that night offering me a job at the then Taylor Woodrow. Also if you have a family you are not expected to live on £75 per week, that is for a single person.
Sorry but this is the reality, made worse by all the foreign workers.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The Labour Party are such a Mickey Mouse shower of shite now it's no joke.

After 13 years of an "Open Door" policy they have the temerity to criticise the government for leaving this new measure too late in the day. Yet earlier this week they promised to double the building and construction in this country to build new homes. If people think a lot of Romanians and Bulgarians will arrive here in 2014 and thereafter the numbers will be a mere fraction of what it would have been if "Open Door" Miliband and "Building Jobs For All" Balls were running the country.
Spot on....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I do not make it sound easy but I am a realist.
I have been out of work, let go, made redundant and pushed out of my job because they can pay a eastern European less than half what they would have to pay me. Okay now I have enough money not to worry about such things but I have not always been like that.
Trust me I could have a job within four weeks if I needed one, two weeks if not over the christmas period and that is without using anyone I know or anyone of my contacts. I was once let go on a Friday and there was nothing about after ringing people, on the Monday I arranged a job interview with an agency for the following day to go and sweep the fecking streets. Okay it was a shite job but at least it would pay the bills and feed the family, but luckily I got a call that night offering me a job at the then Taylor Woodrow. Also if you have a family you are not expected to live on £75 per week, that is for a single person.
Sorry but this is the reality, made worse by all the foreign workers.

Well said EDS...even during the '3 day week' I was with 4 agencies and was always in work...some of them crap jobs but they got me and my family fed and clothed,the only time I relied on the state was when I was on dialysis for three years..

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
You would get my vote!

As for food banks, I cannot understand why they are needed when the benefits in this country are adequate.

This. If I couldn't afford food, especially for my kids, I'd sell my tele, sofa, tables etc. you can get a lot of meals from that. Trouble is, the food is free, televisions and phones aren't. So people go to food banks.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
On a slightly different but still European Tack, I read this morning that our government has refused potential funding from a new EU fund to combat poverty in member countries, which could have given us £22,000,000 to help finance the provision of food banks and similar, on the basis that such things should be dealt with by national governments.

WHY?????

Where does the EU get its money from?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
It's all smoke and mirrors - a "look how tough we are" stance that is entirely undermined by the fact that EU residents can claim benefits from their home government for three months wherever they are in the EU. So I could go to France and claim 3 months of benefits from the British government. This begs the question - what is the point of this new legislation making immigrants wait three months ?

If it's smoke and mirrors it's about loss of sovereignty...............I don't recall any politician spelling out coherently exactly what being in the EU actually means in relation to our ability to govern ourselves..............this is just more of the same.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Well said EDS...even during the '3 day week' I was with 4 agencies and was always in work...some of them crap jobs but they got me and my family fed and clothed,the only time I relied on the state was when I was on dialysis for three years..

This. If I couldn't afford food, especially for my kids, I'd sell my tele, sofa, tables etc. you can get a lot of meals from that. Trouble is, the food is free, televisions and phones aren't. So people go to food banks.

I just think to many people have a sense of entitlement nowadays. As for working out car insurance etc from your benefits, I think that is taking the pish. The whole car on benefits thing sums up so many things that are wrong nowadays to be honest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No, but neither do I expect people to be able to run a car on benefits when some people whom are working cannot afford to. Maybe we should pay for holidays etc.

You know you sound like such a bitter man, I can't imagine and can only guess what you have experienced in life to have such a miserable outlook.

I can only surmise that when you talk about people on benefits, you are talking about the LONG TERM unemployed, not those in low paid work, or those who have been out of work for a short period of time, often having made years of contributions via income tax and National Insurance. If these people have put some money aside for a rainy day and are able to run a car, well good for them, it will likely help them get back into employment. There are one hundred and one reasons why someone can lose a job and no one should have to walk around in sackcloth and ashes, in order to put a tiny smile on your miserable face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here