Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
About 6-7 years ago someone nearly knocked me off my bike. The driver pulled right out in front of me, and I was lucky no to go under the wheels. It shock me up badly at the time. After that incident, my joy for cycling slowly started going down the pan. I was getting angrier and angrier cycling on the roads, until I eventually gave up the bike completely.

I will get another bike, but the next one will be a mountain bike. I can keep out of the way of cars and the only thing I need to worry about is ramblers.

We've all been there, or pretty close to it.

Cyclist get vilified for OTT responses to a 'close pass' or some driver silliness but people have no idea what's gone on before either on that ride, recently or a serious trauma from years back, that's just lying in the back of their mind.
Strangely enough though 'we' don't get finger pointing when bouncing from a car bonnet

Safety in numbers is the only way to go, hence my enjoyment of yesterdays footage in London.
Sure I know they're be an instant contemptible response of 'course it will fail', this time coming from [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] which is somewhat pathetic and a great shame.

Irrespective of doom-mongers who will eventually get their way, I'm glad an effort is being made and I'm enjoying being ever more reliant on my bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went over the handlebars of my MTB only last week attempting a jump my 13 yr old son said was just a simple one as long as you go fast enough. Went over at the top of the jump so dropped a good 2m onto face (luckily I turned just enough that helmet caught most of the impact, and I think I have a cracked rib, torn shoulder muscle, and some scrapes on hand and arm. #staysafe

Thing is, even though I’m 46 the brain still operates around 16-26 levels of risk taking.:rolleyes:
You shouldn't have stopped halfway through to point at your 'jump'.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I did my longest ever ride yesterday, from Ford to Brighton and back. 51.7 miles according to strava.

I am now v sunburned and v v achey. Really enjoyed it at the time though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did my longest ever ride yesterday, from Ford to Brighton and back. 51.7 miles according to strava.

I am now v sunburned and v v achey. Really enjoyed it at the time though.

I think your first 50mile ride is a significant milestone as you suddenly look at a map and think blimey, I can reach all these places on my bike, or various commutes etc. I’ve done that route a few times, so congrats.:thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I also tried to do a long post about social distancing the other day but it got lost somewhere. Seriously what the hell is it with pedestrians? It's like you're completely invisible. They also walk practically on the kerb, and come and stand as close to you as possible when you're waiting at traffic lights. Other bikes are generally being great and leaving loads of room but pedestrians are clueless.

I've noticed that a lot during my daily exercise. Not just the kerb, but walking along beside the cleary marked bike lane on the seafront when there is noone else using the rest of the pavement (and worse, often on the side of the bike lane that means their back is to oncoming bikes)

Another thing that's happened a lot in recent weeks is when I'm approaching a junction on my left a car from behind speeds up to overtake me indicating to turn, then just stops and waits for me to cycle past the junction. What's the point of that (other than arrogant, menacing selfishness)?! If you're gonna wait just stay behind me.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think your first 50mile ride is a significant milestone as you suddenly look at a map and think blimey, I can reach all these places on my bike, or various commutes etc. I’ve done that route a few times, so congrats.:thumbsup:

Cheers! Was definitely worth going out and although i'm sore (the sunburn is horrendous...) it's shown me that I can ride for that distance (my previous furthest was only 20 miles or so). I also need to buy some slimmer profile tyres for my bike though, as the resistance didn't help me one bit.

Cracking route though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We've all been there, or pretty close to it.

Cyclist get vilified for OTT responses to a 'close pass' or some driver silliness but people have no idea what's gone on before either on that ride, recently or a serious trauma from years back, that's just lying in the back of their mind.
Strangely enough though 'we' don't get finger pointing when bouncing from a car bonnet

Safety in numbers is the only way to go, hence my enjoyment of yesterdays footage in London.
Sure I know they're be an instant contemptible response of 'course it will fail', this time coming from [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] which is somewhat pathetic and a great shame.

Irrespective of doom-mongers who will eventually get their way, I'm glad an effort is being made and I'm enjoying being ever more reliant on my bike.

Blimey ...I think you need to take a step back a tad if you can’t take a minor comment like that...and i didnt say ‘’of course it will fail’’ ..but the true test will be winter..which i think is a fair assumption ..i think ive made one other jokey comment about cyclists...but then taken the mick out of motorists more Including in the same post!!!,,,and made it clear how much i like getting in the saddle on a Sunday ... :shrug:

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheers! Was definitely worth going out and although i'm sore (the sunburn is horrendous...) it's shown me that I can ride for that distance (my previous furthest was only 20 miles or so). I also need to buy some slimmer profile tyres for my bike though, as the resistance didn't help me one bit.

Cracking route though.

Did you follow the Sustrans route markers? You can of course go the other way through Chichester, Petworth, back of Havant, Rowlands Castle, Horndean.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Did you follow the Sustrans route markers? You can of course go the other way through Chichester, Petworth, back of Havant, Rowlands Castle, Horndean.

I had to look that up to see what that was, but yeah we did for the most part. Ford-Littlehampton-Rustington-Angmering-Ferring-Goring-Worthing-Lancing-Shoreham-Brighton...and the reverse on the way home.

A route through Petworth sounds good, as i live not far from there, i'll look more at the Sustrans routes for the next one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had to look that up to see what that was, but yeah we did for the most part. Ford-Littlehampton-Rustington-Angmering-Ferring-Goring-Worthing-Lancing-Shoreham-Brighton...and the reverse on the way home.

A route through Petworth sounds good, as i live not far from there, i'll look more at the Sustrans routes for the next one!

Naturally Petworth will involve you having to climb a Down or two!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Naturally Petworth will involve you having to climb a Down or two!!

Petworth is only a 10 min drive for me, so the ride there won't be too troublesome...it's from there that there'll be a hillock or two!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey ...I think you need to take a step back a tad if you can’t take a minor comment like that...and i didnt say ‘’of course it will fail’’ ..but the true test will be winter..which i think is a fair assumption ..i think ive made one other jokey comment about cyclists...but then taken the mick out of motorists more Including in the same post!!!,,,and made it clear how much i like getting in the saddle on a Sunday ... :shrug:

It's not that.
I don't expect anyone to be as boring as me.
To look at that gorgeous sunny bank holiday Monday lunchtime, with 100's of families cycling through central London and think 'blimey that looks great'.

The fact that every aspect of that footage, from sunny bank holiday onwards, is completely alien to the UK, 12 months ago, I find amazing but as said I'm boring.

But what I did expect was a negative reply.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Petworth is only a 10 min drive for me, so the ride there won't be too troublesome...it's from there that there'll be a hillock or two!

Are you sure!!!

If in Ford you've got Arundel Hill or Goodwood to contend with.
If you go Goodwood you'll have the easier side of Duncton, as well.
Arundel way gives you the choice of rolling through Barlavington or the steeper climbs around Fittleworth.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Are you sure!!!

If in Ford you've got Arundel Hill or Goodwood to contend with.
If you go Goodwood you'll have the easier side of Duncton, as well.
Arundel way gives you the choice of rolling through Barlavington or the steeper climbs around Fittleworth.

That's actually where I live :lolol: To be fair i'll try most hills - i've conquered Bury Hill (albeit on the SDW as opposed to the A29) a few years back, but i'll give anything a go. I just need to map out some routes that work...and are in a loop. I like loops.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's actually where I live :lolol: To be fair i'll try most hills - i've conquered Bury Hill (albeit on the SDW as opposed to the A29) a few years back, but i'll give anything a go. I just need to map out some routes that work...and are in a loop. I like loops.

I can do that for you, or at least my (very) historic Strava feed will have all the info you need, assuming you mean riding on the road.

Back to work now, will help out later.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's not that.
I don't expect anyone to be as boring as me.
To look at that gorgeous sunny bank holiday Monday lunchtime, with 100's of families cycling through central London and think 'blimey that looks great'.

The fact that every aspect of that footage, from sunny bank holiday onwards, is completely alien to the UK, 12 months ago, I find amazing but as said I'm boring.

But what I did expect was a negative reply.

Not boring at all ..u have a passion for bikes and cycling ...if half of what was in that tweet can be maintained it will be great
If I had a choice between riding my Bickerton and or getting into my old van the former wins hands down ..unfortunately the van is a necessity

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Gave Plumpton Bostal a go yesterday. F*** me, that was a vicious b******. Incredibly steep for the first half, and only doable on an MTB / Gravel bike because of the loose surface.
Wont be trying it again in a hurry....but glad I did it.
Was that around midday? I was heading east on the SDW (looking stupid with a red, black and white bandana covering my ears under my helmet) and saw a couple of roadies who looked like they might have just come up the Bostal. If so, you looked shagged but respect for attempting it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Was that around midday? I was heading east on the SDW (looking stupid with a red, black and white bandana covering my ears under my helmet) and saw a couple of roadies who looked like they might have just come up the Bostal. If so, you looked shagged but respect for attempting it.

:D No, that wasn't me. I was on my own and got to the top about 1ish I think. Even on an old MTB / Gravel conversion with a triple chain set - and a 34 on the back I was struggling (very heavy bike though). IF I give it a go on my proper MTB next time it'll be interesting to see the difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here