Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's probably the equivalent of when I was playing in the London Southern Amateur League and this young kid from South America on some work placement played for the opposition who promptly made me look a complete idiot for the whole game. He had the skills for the professional game, or at least conference level, but he was only over temporary so played with those he'd made friends with. I did try and kick him up in the air to show him what English football is all about, but still couldn't get near him. Fact is, he shouldn't have been there!!

That's more like an ex-pro entering a 4th cat race and making people suffer throughout. The guy on the chopper isn't competing against anyone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I met this guy at l'etape last year - 2 or 3 times over the course, including at the top of the Tourmalet. The locals were tutting, shaking their heads, raising their eyes - mad English, not respecting the way cycling should be - and everyone who approached him knew he had to be English.

He beat me up the climbs, but then I overtook him on the descents. That says I am better at descending than him, yeah?

http://road.cc/content/news/147693-...-training-ride-tour-de-france-raleigh-chopper

If he was on he original seat, fair enough but as he has modified the seating arrangement he can feck off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Day trip to France for a cycle down to Roubaix and back on the cards for Sunday. Any geeks fancy it
, and/or able to give route advice? Plan so far is car on ferry over, drive about 20 miles from Calais and then cycle to Roubaix giving a round trip cycle of about 120 flatish miles. Armchairclubber and me so far.

I would love to have joined you for this, but my son has been selfish enough to become 18 this weekend, so it's not on for me this year. Enjoy!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Peter%20Charnaud%20wooden%20bikes5.jpg
Peter%20Charnaud%20wooden%20bikes3.jpg
Peter%20Charnaud%20wooden%20bikes4.jpg
Peter%20Charnaud%20wooden%20bikes2.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Wooden? I'd rather ride a Chopper.

Tell us about them SB. Are they particularly light or something?

They look like children's toys.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
First ride after the dodgy ticker incident today. Felt surprisingly ok and the heart behaved so very pleased.

I admire the skill in making a wooden frame but they look absolutely rubbish. The riding position is crap and what's with all that front wheel clearance?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Huge from Kristoff. His last eight race finishes:

2nd in San Remo, 4th in E3, 9th in Gent Wevelgem, 1st,1st,1st and 3rd in De Panne and 1st today. That is Merckx esque.

Won again in Scheldeprijs yesterday. Admittedly virtually everyone else crashed in the huge pile up 900m out but still. That makes five consecutive road races he has won with 3rd in a TT in the last few weeks.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
While we are on the subject of unfulfilled talent. I notice Carlos Betancur is hauling his fat ass round the Basque Country this week. He has finished 3:09 down, 12:22 down, then 14:52 down on three stages you could have expected him to feature in, when he was fit. Such a shame, he was one of the more exciting riders 18 months ago, now he just cannot be bothered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Won again in Scheldeprijs yesterday. Admittedly virtually everyone else crashed in the huge pile up 900m out but still. That makes five consecutive road races he has won with 3rd in a TT in the last few weeks.
Did BooHoohani punch his handlebars is frustration again, as he rolled in 8th?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

It really was the mother of all crashes!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-injury-after-scheldeprijs-crash-video-165793

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/scheldeprijs-finale-marred-by-mass-crash

Sir Bradley guessed that this was going to happen, apparently, and sat up. So, Roubaix is his. ;-)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey, Mr Astana got clobbered.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Did BooHoohani punch his handlebars is frustration again, as he rolled in 8th?

No, the big man got his first win of the season on Tuesday in the mother of all Monuments, the Circuit de la Sarthe (stage 1) :lolol:

Another rider whose big money move is paying off spectacularly...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here