Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The deficiency is experience more than anything else, particularly up top.
Decision making in the final third was not great towards the end of the season.
This was compounded by having overplayed so many of the younger players, and the older players having had incredibly long seasons (PG is looking at his 56th appearance if picked tonight).

IF PG goes then the club really do need to look at a different type of recruit.
Baleba has the worst decision making I’ve seen in a Brighton player since early Bissouma, who was also eased in by previous coaches.

Bags of potential, technique and physical ability, but had to be coached by the other players on pitch.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
They’re a high proportion of OUR experienced player transfers you moron, because we do things differently (or did until teams copied us).

There will also probably be some bargains this window because of FFP firesales and contract run downs as pointed out by @Zeberdi .

With Jewell, Winstanley and Macauley all having taken the snake route, the question is will we get them?
You know that's not what was being discussed. But I am not carrying this on if you just resort to insults.

Reactions: cjd

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Baleba has the worst decision making I’ve seen in a Brighton player since early Bissouma, who was also eased in by previous coaches.

Bags of potential, technique and physical ability, but had to be coached by the other players on pitch.
Totally agree. Times he tears down the pitch, everyone is off thier seat, here we go, never ever gets his head up to see opportunities that are on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Blinkin’ eck. 17 pages on something that really doesn’t matter anymore. Who cares whether RDZ was “sacked” with benefits, or was “pushed” or “walked” or whether he was “forced” to resign on ”mutually acceptable terms” or not? @jcdenton08 outlined in the OP how compensation arrangements work for those that aren’t sure - as far as RDZ is concerned, we ‘know’ based on numerous press reports, that we released RDZ from the burdens of his contract with compensation payable if he joins another club within a specified period (as per usual legal arrangements in that situation). Everything else (ie what discussions took place) leading up to that arrangement is meaningless conjecture.

As for @Guinness Boy ’s and others’ earlier points about picking up quality players for around £30m, then Mats Weiffer fits that mould perfectly imo - a multi-position midfielder who can play in a double pivot and as a number eight or a solo number six in a three-man setup but one that will keep us in our “sustainable’ wage structure. This is how we move forward from the problems we experienced last season and from our last manager, by trying to sign players who could, with a bit of discipline and training, not only strengthen the squad but do so in a way that will suit how our new manager likes to set up.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Blinkin’ eck. 17 pages on something that really doesn’t matter anymore. Who cares whether RDZ was “sacked” with benefits, or was “pushed” or “walked” or whether he was “forced” to resign on ”mutually acceptable terms” or not? @jcdenton08 outlined in the OP how compensation arrangements work for those that aren’t sure - as far as RDZ is concerned, we ‘know’ based on numerous press reports, that we released RDZ from the burdens of his contract with compensation payable if he joins another club within a specified period (as per usual legal arrangements in that situation). Everything else (ie what discussions took place) leading up to that arrangement is meaningless conjecture.

As for @Guinness Boy ’s and others’ earlier points about picking up quality players for around £30m, then Mats Weiffer fits that mould perfectly imo - a multi-position midfielder who can play in a double pivot and as a number eight or a solo number six in a three-man setup but one that will keep us in our “sustainable’ wage structure..

This is how we move forward from the problems we experienced last season and from our last manager, by trying to sign players who could not only strengthen the squad but do so in a way that will suit how our new manager likes to set up.

In your opinion :lolol: The club allegedly have made a concrete offer for Weiffer and have been tracking his progress for two seasons.
There is also a separate thread for the player.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The recruitment teams that signed Gross and Veltman/Welbeck aren't the same. Macauley wasn't around, Jewell was youth scouting (and Gross wasn't that young). Sure, perhaps Winstanley was secretly the main man behind every good transfer. But he also oversaw a fair lot of shite transfers, so maybe the club will be able to function without him? Only time will tell, I guess.

Anyone who spends a lot of time in media saying he wants to sign players he picks himself rather than choices the club make is bound to get criticism when all the players he wanted failed to work out*. There's no way Graham Potter or Chris Hughton would have received a blowjob and people making excuses on their behalf if Ansu Fati would have looked like Aaron Connolly with them in charge.

The recruitment teams that signed Gross and Veltman/Welbeck aren't the same. Macauley wasn't around, Jewell was youth scouting (and Gross wasn't that young). Sure, perhaps Winstanley was secretly the main man behind every good transfer. But he also oversaw a fair lot of shite transfers, so maybe the club will be able to function without him? Only time will tell, I guess.

Anyone who spends a lot of time in media saying he wants to sign players he picks himself rather than choices the club make is bound to get criticism when all the players he wanted failed to work out*. There's no way Graham Potter or Chris Hughton would have received a blowjob and people making excuses on their behalf if Ansu Fati would have looked like Aaron Connolly with them in charge.

* Except Igor apparently. Lets fill the team with players on Igors level and see where it takes us.
Can you provide a link to a clip or article of RDZ saying I don’t trust the clubs model and want to pick my own signings?
You’ve quoted it enough times so presumably there is some evidence somewhere.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Can you provide a link to a clip or article of RDZ saying I don’t trust the clubs model and want to pick my own signings?
You’ve quoted it enough times so presumably there is some evidence somewhere.
If RDZ did trust the clubs model, why isn't he still in the job if he wasn't sacked?

But here's a few:

“I’m sorry to lose great players such as Caicedo and Mac Allister. I’m not happy but I know very well where I am working and the policy of the club is like this. I have to accept and be better, we want to play better than the beginning of the season but also the last season.”

--

"We have to accept the policy of the club is to play with many young players and you have to give them time to progress and to make mistakes. We have great potential players but they are not great players yet."

--

“I spoke with the club, but they decided a different way. I want to reach the highest target we can and my focus is very strong on the target. It’s not important if I had a different expectation. Everyone can think what they want.”

---

“Data is totally different. I’m getting used to working with algorithms in another way in the transfer market, and I’m getting used to appreciating this way.

“I didn’t know it before. I spent a lot of time studying new players on video but now I understand there is another way to find players.”

“At Sassuolo and Shakhtar it was totally different. I had one of my team who gave me a player’s name and I studied the players, but without numbers, without data, only on video.”

“I believe in myself and I want to watch the player. I want to understand of that player has the right quality, the right characteristics to play for us.”

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
“ I would like new players to replace those we have lost and those who may return from injury”

” no we have young starlets who despite getting thrashed by lots of teams, will take us back to Europe “

” so you don’t see my vision “

“ no, we don’t do things that way and we don’t pay big wages”

“ so we are at an impasse”

” yes, so you can leave and we will say it’s mutually agreed”

” arrivaderchi then”

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
“ I would like new players to replace those we have lost and those who may return from injury”

” no we have young starlets who despite getting thrashed by lots of teams, will take us back to Europe “

” so you don’t see my vision “

“ no, we don’t do things that way and we don’t pay big wages”

“ so we are at an impasse”

” yes, so you can leave and we will say it’s mutually agreed”

” arrivaderchi then”

Parting comment from PB - “next time you sign for a club try paying attention at the interview, and maybe don’t repeatedly tell your best players and the media that they should be playing at a higher level”

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Have we been paid by Marseilles? Has he signed for them yet? Bad poster if I've missed it, but I haven't seen confirmation of either yet.

Now official:-

Good luck to him, thanks for that magical first season and our European run. Onwards and upwards!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I say official, but I guess there is still some work to do. "The club is currently working with all stakeholders to formalize the arrival of the Italian coach..."

Are they attempting to negotiate the fee with Albion?

RDZ.jpg

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good luck to him, thanks for that magical first season and our European run. Onwards and upwards!
"Olympique de Marseille announces that it has reached an agreement in principle with Roberto De Zerbi."

Not singed yet then! (but yes, I do accept it looks likely!)

Edit: Sorry- AZ Gull beat me to it..............

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I say official, but I guess there is still some work to do. "The club is currently working with all stakeholders to formalize the arrival of the Italian coach..."

Are they attempting to negotiate the fee with Albion?

View attachment 184641
Certainly sounds that way, lots of emails and meetings I suspect going on between his agent, us, them, and a bunch of lawyers!

Good luck to one of my favourite managers, will try and take in a Marseilles away game next season

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway

Great news for him, I hope. Interesting to see what he can achieve there. I'll look for their results in my sofa score app =)

I'll thank him for one super exciting season, and for leading us into europe for the first time in our history. Grazie Roberto!

Now, back to Brighton, Hürzeler and our plans for the upcoming season =)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here