Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think it's probably because Trossard, Cucurella and caicedo were key players for the team. Losing them was a big deal and at the time weakened the squad/team. Them sulking their way out also had a potential negative effect on the team/squad in the short term. In the case of Sanchez, as has been said/raked over plenty of times, it was his refusal to sit on the bench which could have had huge negative ramifications.

In the case of undav, he barely feels like our player. He spent one season in the squad and barely played until the final 8 -10 games of the season. He's then spent the entirety of this season on loan. Therefore his absence doesn't noticeably weaken us like the others would/did. In short we're a lot less invested in Undav than we were in the others and if he's sulking it doesn't have any effect on the rest of the squad.
And......
As far as I'm aware Undav hasn't refused to do anything.
He has just publicly stated he would like to sign for Stuttgart.

Or am I missing something?

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
Really???? champions league football or Southampton on a cold Tuesday night.
I think sometimes we overestimate our drawing power for players.
when we have had 4 or 5 seasons in Europe perhaps we can start to think we are a European powerhouse rather than a team who has had one relatively successful year in the second tier competition in Europe.

I get your point of view, and you're not wrong necessarily. My point wasn't about the size or 'draw' of us as a club though, rather the fact that playing Premier League football 'might' be seen as more optimal for putting a player, such as Undav, in with a chance of joining one of the elite clubs.

Undoubtedly as a player you would get far more exposure playing in the most watched league in the world over the course of the season than you would playing Bundesliga and a few Champions League appearances.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Undav is happy where he is, is scoring goals, and playing regularly. I’d love to see him back but only if we’re giving him regular game time.

If I were in his shoes, I’d rather have Champions League football and regular game time than return to sit on the bench of a mid-table Premier League team. I don’t think the club will offer reduced terms however, I suspect it will come down to whether Stuttgart stump up the fee. Nothing more, nothing less.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
And......
As far as I'm aware Undav hasn't refused to do anything.
He has just publicly stated he would like to sign for Stuttgart.

Or am I missing something?
I don't know actually. I've not followed this 'saga' particularly closely, mostly for the reasons I gave in my post - I'm just not that invested in Undav. I've certainly not seen anything suggesting he's refused/refusing to do something.

I'm very much in the 'if we get 20m for him, that's a result' camp.

Especially if it means we don't have to sell one of our big guns. It'll be really nice if we can keep the key players together for a second season. Sell Undav, Sima, that polish lad thats been on laon in Holland for two years, Sarmiento and a couple of other fringe/squad players and that should be enough to fund two decent signings without having to touch the Caicedo/Sanchez money.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't know actually. I've not followed this 'saga' particularly closely, mostly for the reasons I gave in my post - I'm just not that invested in Undav. I've certainly not seen anything suggesting he's refused/refusing to do something.

Especially if it means we don't have to sell one of our big guns. It'll be really nice if we can keep the key players together for a second season. Sell Undav, Sima, that polish lad thats been on laon in Holland for two years, Sarmiento and a couple of other fringe/squad players and that should be enough to fund two decent signings without having to touch the Caicedo/Sanchez money.
Would you throw Dahoud in as a sweetener?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah I agree with this.

I really like Undav and it was great to have a natural finisher on our books.
But in reality he would always have been third/ fourth choice striker and having the same lack of service issues, that ruined Ferguson's season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Undav as a player has improved and I like the role he plays for Stuttgart. He’s often starting attacks almost from midfield and works his way forward.
Natural finisher something we don’t have at present. Real shame if we sell him.
I'm no expert, but I'd argue that Ferguson is a natural finisher.
I assume Undav would have had the same issues with service that Ferguson had , in the second half of the season.

Or do you think Undav would have offered more.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm no expert, but I'd argue that Ferguson is a natural finisher.
I assume Undav would have had the same issues with service that Ferguson had , in the second half of the season.

Or do you think Undav would have offered more.
I think he offers more than Welbeck in front of goal for sure. Welbeck scores the odd cracker and can’t score the easier chances. Last season we didn’t see much of Ferguson did we?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think he offers more than Welbeck in front of goal for sure. Welbeck scores the odd cracker and can’t score the easier chances. Last season we didn’t see much of Ferguson did we?
Yeah agreed he's a fantastic finisher.
I would have him back to link up with Mitoma again, but I think Ferguson would also have looked a lot better with a whole season playing with Solly and Mitoma.

Really depends on how the new manager wants to play, as to whether it's worth keeping Undav.

Jimmy Grimble

Undav as a player has improved and I like the role he plays for Stuttgart. He’s often starting attacks almost from midfield and works his way forward.
Natural finisher something we don’t have at present. Real shame if we sell him.
Ferguson is a natural finisher I’d say. Clinical striker of the ball.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Undav is happy where he is, is scoring goals, and playing regularly. I’d love to see him back but only if we’re giving him regular game time.

If I were in his shoes, I’d rather have Champions League football and regular game time than return to sit on the bench of a mid-table Premier League team. I don’t think the club will offer reduced terms however, I suspect it will come down to whether Stuttgart stump up the fee. Nothing more, nothing less.
And international football

Ferguson is a natural finisher I’d say. Clinical striker of the ball.
But away at Fulham, it was a guy not taking straightforward chances. Something's going on with him, the biggest mystery at the Albion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here