Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor Who

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have been watching the old Dr Whos from the 60s on the iPlayer. I am beginning to warm to the animated ones with the original sound track. I was watching yesterday and though, hello, what's this? Calling @Papa Lazarou

I rewound and took a snap. This is from a Peter Troughton episode, with Jamie, and was the last episode with Victoria. It was about killer seaweed (terror of the deep or somesuch). The bit that caught my attention had nothing to do with the story. Spooky or what? So presuming this was in the original, the writers were sowing gingerbread trails (to mix metaphors) way back in the 60s. No wonder I couldn't follow the plot of the most recent but one televised episode :lolol:

View attachment 183499
Bill Belichick was in Dr Who? Blimey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had to look him up, but well spotted. A cheeky American Sport follower when not compiling your spreadsheets, eh? ???

(And no, that isn't the right answer).

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I had to look him up, but well spotted. A cheeky American Sport follower when not compiling your spreadsheets, eh? ???

In the style of Ted Lasso maybe BB could become the new manager of BHAFC?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Roger Delgardo? (First, and best, Master).

Yes, I too have been wading through all the BBC back catalogue. I'm a series behind you I think as I've got to The Ice Warriors. (Which is very relevant to our times. We need to produce more carbon dioxide to stop the planet from freezing!)

I have to say, some are, um ..... 'not quite as good as I remember'. Excused of course as they're nearly sixty years old. However when I've watched a few 'classic' ones I do reward myself with a current one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Roger Delgardo? (First, and best, Master).

Yes, I too have been wading through all the BBC back catalogue. I'm a series behind you I think as I've got to The Ice Warriors. (Which is very relevant to our times. We need to produce more carbon dioxide to stop the planet from freezing!)

I have to say, some are, um ..... 'not quite as good as I remember'. Excused of course as they're nearly sixty years old. However when I've watched a few 'classic' ones I do reward myself with a current one.
The William Hartnell ones were faster paced than I remember. Troughton is more playful than I remember. A lot of the acting is wooden, the patronizing sexist males are very tiresome (my dear) but some of the writing is brilliant. Who knew that the cybermen were essentially invented by Kit Pedler, who lived down the road from me in Doddington?

Yes, it is Roger Delgardo. Or Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto, to give him his full name. Considering the wheel in space was filmed in and Delgardo appeared first as the master in 1971, and the episode from which I found that still (the underwater menace) was made in 1967, I think the animators may have simply been mucking about in this modern animation. We will never know if the poster existed in the original acted version.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The William Hartnell ones were faster paced than I remember. Troughton is more playful than I remember. A lot of the acting is wooden, the patronizing sexist males are very tiresome (my dear) but some of the writing is brilliant. Who knew that the cybermen were essentially invented by Kit Pedler, who lived down the road from me in Doddington?

Yes, it is Roger Delgardo. Or Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto, to give him his full name. Considering the wheel in space was filmed in and Delgardo appeared first as the master in 1971, and the episode from which I found that still (the underwater menace) was made in 1967, I think the animators may have simply been mucking about in this modern animation. We will never know if the poster existed in the original acted veversion.
I'm afraid to say it wasn't. The Master wasn't even dreamed up until Barry Letts took over in 1970 and he knew of Delgado so offered him the role. It's animators having a little in joke. But Fury from the Deep is a cracking story.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, it is Roger Delgardo. Or Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto, to give him his full name. Considering the wheel in space was filmed in and Delgardo appeared first as the master in 1971, and the episode from which I found that still (the underwater menace) was made in 1967, I think the animators may have simply been mucking about in this modern animation. We will never know if the poster existed in the original acted version.
Yes, agree with you about the acting and the sexism. Carole Ann Ford left because all she did was scream, but a lot of the young female replacements pretty much played the same role. Also companions seemed to be dropped at random. Nowadays when someone leaves the Tardis they get a big emotional 'goodbye' episode, in the 1960s they often left without much fanfare and some people like Dodie Chaplet just got dropped mid-series without even a goodbye appearance: "Message from Dodi - she's staying in the country."

Also in the 'old days' whenever they did an historical episode it was pure history, there were no aliens, no existential threats to the fabric of the universe, they just built stories around historical people and events. Now if they go back in the past ('The Beatles' one just being the most recent example) there has to be a monster involved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, agree with you about the acting and the sexism. Carole Ann Ford left because all she did was scream, but a lot of the young female replacements pretty much played the same role. Also companions seemed to be dropped at random. Nowadays when someone leaves the Tardis they get a big emotional 'goodbye' episode, in the 1960s they often left without much fanfare and some people like Dodie Chaplet just got dropped mid-series without even a goodbye appearance: "Message from Dodi - she's staying in the country."

Also in the 'old days' whenever they did an historical episode it was pure history, there were no aliens, no existential threats to the fabric of the universe, they just built stories around historical people and events. Now if they go back in the past ('The Beatles' one just being the most recent example) there has to be a monster involved.
Indeed.

I am one of those weirdos who loves all the doctor who. I am looking forward to Worzel Gummage's appearance. They had no budget so they invented the trope that the doctor couldn't shift his Tardis off Earth (as I'm sure you know).

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Indeed.

I am one of those weirdos who loves all the doctor who. I am looking forward to Worzel Gummage's appearance. They had no budget so they invented the trope that the doctor couldn't shift his Tardis off Earth (as I'm sure you know).
Pertwee's first season is great - Inferno being one of my favourites - as you say, all Earth bound and (for Dr Who) quite gritty. God, I'm SUCH an anorak 😄

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm afraid to say it wasn't. The Master wasn't even dreamed up until Barry Letts took over in 1970 and he knew of Delgado so offered him the role. It's animators having a little in joke. But Fury from the Deep is a cracking story.
:thumbsup: That's what I had hoped. I love a bit of meta, me.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I do like the re-imagined colour animations; it shows a way of looking at the stories I’d not always thought of before - the Macra Terror one especially.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One for the anoraks. I was watching an old Troughton episode of Dr Who the other night. "The mind Robber" from 1968, written by Peter Ling. Aside from the weird second rate versions of Cyberman, the episode was bloody brilliant. But....what's this?

1718214496477.png

So.....

1718214562288.png

Next, I'm doing to discover that 'The Doctor' was a character in Space Patrol. I'm distraught.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
One for the anoraks. I was watching an old Troughton episode of Dr Who the other night. "The mind Robber" from 1968, written by Peter Ling. Aside from the weird second rate versions of Cyberman, the episode was bloody brilliant. But....what's this?

View attachment 183919

So.....

View attachment 183920

Next, I'm doing to discover that 'The Doctor' was a character in Space Patrol. I'm distraught.
They should do a cricket episode featuring W.G. Grace so they can have confusion about exactly which Doctor is being referred to.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

View attachment 183919

So.....

View attachment 183920

Happy to confirm the renegade Time Lord known as The Master or latterly Missy was not the same as Emrys Jones' weirdo character in The Mind Robber. NEXT!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Black Orchid. Peter Davison story from 1982 - he plays cricket and when he arrives they are expecting "The Doctor"...Oh yes!
Oh, yes. A decent cricketer by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here