Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Sussex Need a Flag?

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Sussex (pronounced /ˈsʌsɨks/), from the Old English Sūþseaxe ('South Saxons'), is a historic county in South East England corresponding roughly in area to the ancient Kingdom of Sussex. It is bounded on the north by Surrey, east by Kent, south by the English Channel, and west by Hampshire, and is divided for local government into West Sussex and East Sussex and the City of Brighton and Hove. The city of Brighton & Hove was created a unitary authority in 1997; and was granted City status in 2000. Until then Chichester had been Sussex's only city.

The divisions of West Sussex and East Sussex were first established in 1189, and had obtained separate administrations (Quarter Sessions) by the 16th century. This situation was recognised by the County of Sussex Act 1865. Under the Local Government Act 1888 the two divisions became two administrative counties (along with three county boroughs: Brighton, Hastings and, from 1911, Eastbourne).[2]

The appellation Sussex remained in use as a ceremonial county until 1974, when the Lord-Lieutenant of Sussex was replaced with one each for East and West Sussex. The whole of Sussex has had a single police force since 1968.

Sussex still retains a strong local identity and the county's unofficial anthem is Sussex by the Sea. The county's motto, "We wun't be druv", reflects the strong-willed nature of its people in past centuries. Sussex's device shows six martlets. Sussex's county flower is the round-headed rampion, also known as the Pride of Sussex. June 16, the feast day of the county's patron saint St Richard, has been declared Sussex Day by West Sussex County Council.[3] Although it retains a strong identity, most people say West Sussex and East Sussex today and even use them in lists of traditional counties sometimes.
innit

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Before all you cloven-hooved web-footed inbreds from East Sussex get too excited, don't forget it's the WARRIERS of WEST SUSSEX that protect our fair county from the great unwashed hordes of Hampshire.

The Kingdom of Sussex would be nothing without the great MEN of the WEST

:thumbsup:

:bowdown: (and women) :bowdown:

Let us resurrect the KINGDOM of Sussex for the start of next season.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
You need to ensure you don't get a county's emblem mixed up with a flag.

And confusingly, Hampshire's flag only refers to the county council (read corporate identity), and not to the county.

Whatever you read was a load of old shit. The Cornish coastal path (ie not even the whole coast) is 250 miles.

AA route planner tells me that Camber Sands (Which is the last bit of coast in Sussex) to Chichester is 82.3 miles and that you could do the journey in just over two hours (I suspect only if you tried it in the wee small hours and didn't get stopped for speeding). Perhaps if you include all the wiggly bits around Chichester Harbour (is that counted as coastline?) you might increase the miles a little but nowhere near the Cornish figure.

.......I'll get me anorak!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Before all you cloven-hooved web-footed inbreds from East Sussex get too excited, don't forget it's the WARRIERS of WEST SUSSEX that protect our fair county from the great unwashed hordes of Hampshire.

The Kingdom of Sussex would be nothing without the great MEN of the WEST

:thumbsup:

You didn't stop me getting through to Brighton in 1981 did you!!!!

EAST EAST EAST SUSSEX!
Brothers, brothers, we mustn't squabble amongst ourselves! As Queen Edna says we must unite as one and strive together for the holy and noble cause of re-establishing the ancient kingdom of Sussex! Let us put aside our East and West differences and remember that we are Sussex, we are the Seagull Nation, one of the heptarchy, one of the ancient English kingdoms. Let us never forget that our true enemies are those in central government who would keep us divided, the bastard successors to the Norman scum who killed our rightful king and subjected us to a millennia of misery. Up the Albion!

Nordic Gull

Feb 25, 2009
Hampshire
Anyone remember the chant of: East Sussex la la la, east sussex la la la. West Sussex la la la West Sussex la la la?

Needs to come back, it was great. Of course, not to bring division, but it was great banter

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
............... the bastard successors to the Norman scum who killed our rightful king and subjected us to a millennia of misery. Up the Albion!

Sir Norman of Gall is not going to take kindly to being referred to in such terms.

And although originally from the declining Geordie Nation is now card carrying West Sussex.

We also need to decide the Sussex Nation's national emblem, flower, national dress (stripes) and national drink (Harvey's) and most important patron saint in time for the independence day parade

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
When I was a child (ashamedly living on the Dark Side until we moved to Lewes in 1965), nobody ever differentiated between West and East Sussex. The two counties might have existed but postal addresses were just "Sussex".

i am 30 but always think of sussex as one - it's all home to me

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Totally, any flag that incorporates 'the scum' (i.e. any person/animal/town/thing that has the misfortune to be located in West Sussex) should be burnt on sight!

EAST SUSSEX LA LA LA West Sussex is just an embarrassment to us Easterners tbh. Worthing, Shoreham, Lancing etc. I'd rather live in Croydon!

:p

Proud to have Hastings then?? The ideal place for an enema if Sussex ever needed one.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Totally, any flag that incorporates 'the scum' (i.e. any person/animal/town/thing that has the misfortune to be located in West Sussex) should be burnt on sight!

EAST SUSSEX LA LA LA West Sussex is just an embarrassment to us Easterners tbh. Worthing, Shoreham, Lancing etc. I'd rather live in Croydon!

:p

Then your a fool,

Shoreham is an embarrassment but portslade and Whitehawk aint?

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
This is the one that the council will try to sell you for about £40:

gb-e-wsssx.gif

I personally bought one of the following which is described as a West Sussex flag for a few quid onlone somewherea year or so ago:

West_Sussex_flag_48ad72bd4cc3e.jpg

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Just back from Devon where they are all flying the flag they invented in 2003 to copy the Cornish. It would be a nice to have one, but we can't even think about one with red and blue together like the current official "joint" flag. Could we have a new competition?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I sincerely hope there isn't one. We're striving for a united SUSSEX identity: one football team, one cricket team, one international airport. The last thing we need is the equivalent of the Judean People's Front trying to re-enforce the split of 1879 (or whenever) when they established East and West Sussex county councils.
Spot on. I have roots in East AND West Sussex and I'm not either - I'm simply SUSSEX.

And as has been said before, we have our own anthem, and our own game which is qualla. We also have the oldest county cricket club and the finest football club in the land. And it's about ruddy time we went to WAR with Kent and took Tunbridge Wells back too!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have already mentioned this. Didn't appear to go down a storm.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I work for Sussex Police. No East or West there, just Sussex.

I serve you all equally :bowdown: :p :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here