• Just one of those things, it happens in the heat of the moment

Votes: 97 53.0%
  • Both were out of order

Votes: 30 16.4%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The amount of times we have over hit passes to TL yesterday and the preceding games is a source of frustration for me. It doesn't need to be an inch perfect pass if it's a foot race there is only going to be 1 winner. .

Not convinced he would be any more. Lamptey was matched for pace in a straight sprint by McNeil on a couple of occasions and has not looked anything like as quick since his injury imo. Don’t recall him knocking the ball past a player and out sprinting him very often since he came back

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was beyond the pen spot (not that I’m not guilty of creative license) I think Sanchez landed near the 18yrd line when he came down, I sit in line with the pen spot and was surprised he came that far out. I also think you made a good point that Duffy is a senior member of the side and an experienced international - perhaps vice versa a younger player shouldn’t be be quite so demonstrative with his criticism.

But isn’t that the thing about being young, not knowing when to let it go?

As a goalkeeper, he has to be brave and decisive, at the time I had no problem with it. Both players went for the ball for the right reason. It happens, what went on afterwards is the issue. It was past the penalty spot, but he’d made his decision and generally his handling is excellent.

I think Sanchez had been told to dominate anything aerially, because our ‘bigger’ players were missing. Duffy probably getting a knee in the back and a fist near the ear, was probably a bit irked….

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But isn’t that the thing about being young, not knowing when to let it go?

As a goalkeeper, he has to be brave and decisive, at the time I had no problem with it. Both players went for the ball for the right reason. It happens, what went on afterwards is the issue. It was past the penalty spot, but he’d made his decision and generally his handling is excellent.

I think Sanchez had been told to dominate anything aerially, because our ‘bigger’ players were missing. Duffy probably getting a knee in the back and a fist near the ear, was probably a bit irked….

Yes I agree, so what Duffy probably didn’t need was a knee and fist ploughed into him, then getting an ear full after - which is what it looked like to me. Personally think too many are blaming Duffy, I think he reacted after getting clattered then getting told off for it. I don’t know what was said though so all conjecture.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
"DANNY'S UP!!!", "Come on boys let's get another" etc. Marvellous

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given that all Duffy can do to PL standard is head the ball away, then he probably doesn't want Sanchez coming for crosses, that takes his strength away.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
One of those things. If defender is unsure, go for it. If a keeper is going to claim it he damn well makes sure every centre half in the country hears him claim it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think Duffy is right to be aggrieved if there wasn’t a shout (don’t think there was FWIW by all the reactions) but was a bit unnecessary for him to go for Sanchez.

Hopefully a heat of battle, water under the bridge, kiss and make up bit of nonsense both can move on from.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Is there no video? I've got no idea what any of you are talking about being miles away in West Upper other end. There did seem to be a bit of a strange kerfuffle just before one of the goals, was it that?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Is there no video? I've got no idea what any of you are talking about being miles away in West Upper other end. There did seem to be a bit of a strange kerfuffle just before one of the goals, was it that?

I was just reading the Sussex Plot Twitter account and apparently someone brought a knife and knuckledusters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah let’s flame our most experienced centre back cover and put the blame all on him without knowing what Sanchez said to him in the heat of the moment. Sanchez at 24 with what Potter has described as no lack of self confidence is not some delicate little flower and both players came out after half time with arms around each other chatting and looked fine. They got over it suggest some of our fans do.

This.

There is a salacious element on NSC who, given half a chance, would be furtively rummaging through Potter's missus' knicker drawer, looking for 'evidence'. :wrong:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I heard the call from my seat.
Same here - if I can hear the call halfway up west lower in line with the D on the penalty area then Duffy can certainly hear it. It's Sanchez's style to come and claim high balls and one of the main reasons why we aren't conceding nearly so many goals from corners/free kicks since he came in.

From what I saw of Duffy earlier in the season it was the right call to play him up against Weghorst, however he had a poor game, along with most of the team.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Used to be able to hear little Matty Ryan shouting most of the game, usually 'AWAY' presumably to tell the defenders to clear the ball as he was too short to come and claim stuff for himself.
I don't think I've ever heard Sanchez shout for the ball and it's not the first time there's been a mixup at the back with him and a defender over who's ball it is.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Given that all Duffy can do to PL standard is head the ball away, then he probably doesn't want Sanchez coming for crosses, that takes his strength away.

I arrived 15m after the start and one of the first things I saw was Duffy play a 30 yd long ball straight to the feet of Lamptey. It wasn't his only long pass either. Trouble is, players get pigeon holed and however much they improve their weaker points they are damned by them forever. Webster, Duffy, Dunk, Veltman all demonstrate failings at times. Luckily Potter doesn't go on a forum and relentlessly point them out.

Mistake by Sanchez imho, it was nearly handball it was so close to the edge of the area, with Duffy under it and a crowd of players absolutely no need for the keeper to be out there.

From what I saw Sanchez unnecessarily continued to admonish Duffy for not getting out of his way, and continued to do so until Duffy snapped back at him.

Everyone rushing to condemn Duffy, but unless you know what was being said, there’s no room for ‘oh he’s only young’ in no fault of Sanchez’s - in that situation the only thing Sanchez should be saying to Duffy is ‘sorry mate, my fault I shouldn’t have come for it’…

Correct, but we have the usual NSC creeping up to a first team starter over a squad player so the facts don’t matter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I watched highlights on the club website and it isn’t shown. As an aside, I didn’t appreciate how bad the second goal was in real time. Duffy let’s the ball bounce not once, but twice, knocks it to an opponent who then turns him. Pub level stuff. Before the first bounce and misreading of the flight of the ball he’s more concerned about pointing to someone or something; what’s that about?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I watched highlights on the club website and it isn’t shown. As an aside, I didn’t appreciate how bad the second goal was in real time. Duffy let’s the ball bounce not once, but twice, knocks it to an opponent who then turns him. Pub level stuff. Before the first bounce and misreading of the flight of the ball he’s more concerned about pointing to someone or something; what’s that about?

I think that must be what I saw. It was a kind of surreal moment.. “Oh, we’ve got this, relax….oh, what?…oh, they’ve scored….eh?” Top muppetry.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Correct, but we have the usual NSC creeping up to a first team starter over a squad player so the facts don’t matter

Whilst I largely agree with [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] s post (albeit I am slightly more sympathetic since I posted to RS given multiple people said they heard the call), I find it one of the more amusing aspects of NSC that a user called London Irish, supports the Irish player probably sat at home posting in an Irish Rugby top munching Soda bread and drinking Guinness.

I'm sure London Spanish will be along soon to argue the opposite point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here