Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electric Scooters - Road Trials

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting…..a quick and brief google search led me to believe that the Met were one of the only forces to ‘crackdown’ on illegal use 👍

Probably too busy with more important things
They have black people and women to harass, there’s only so many hours in the day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I cycle to work, most days, the arrogance and entitlement as well as the agressive and 'f*** you' attitude of some drivers is staggering. The same can be said for some cyclists. I get the impression many cyclists haven't heard of the highway code, let alone read it, or passed a cycling proficiency test.

What @Gabbafella was implying is, if an uninsured cyclists breaks the law by jumping lights, gets hit by his car, he'll be at a loss, that's hardly fair. I worked with a guy who lost his no claims bonus because he was hit by a cyclist. Hardly life changing, but a glitch.

If you're on the road with that kind of attitude I really don't care if you get squashed. It's not like we're short of population!
Geez! What a misguided reply. :facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No need to pass a test that ensures the user knows the highway code and no license to ensure they abide by it?
no insurance for when they inevitably damage someone's car?
Probably no enforceable need for safety wear.
It has roadside death written all over it.
And the difference from E-bikes is…………

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And cows to corral
I think you meant "ram" rather than "corral".

So will e-scooter riders sign up and do anything that will cost money? Unlikely! They will just continue riding them at speed on the pavements (as many cyclists do) whilst the OB stand around and do NOTHING.

We have laws about riding on pavements, parking on pavements (see increase in broken kerb stones because delivery vans etc seem to have the right to drive up on pavements). Even noticed an increase in dog shit on the pavements.

The problem is that those who we pay to enforce the laws (OB, parking enforcement, dog wardens etc) just can't be arsed to enforce the laws. If people know they can get away with shit, they will do it.

theboybilly

pavements are for pedestrians

if you want to use propulsion, of ANY kind, get on the road, and you must have some form of proficiency test to be there and have 3rd party insurance.
The trouble is people with influence over these things continue to believe shared walkways are okay but all it does is move cyclist/ motorist conflict to that of cyclist/ pedestrian. The only real solution is segregated cycleways. Cycling organisations, when consulted are repeatedly thwarted in favour of half-baked uninformed solutions. Far too much emphasis is given to them demands of the motor vehicle when getting people out of cars is the best solution.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The trouble is people with influence over these things continue to believe shared walkways are okay but all it does is move cyclist/ motorist conflict to that of cyclist/ pedestrian. The only real solution is segregated cycleways. Cycling organisations, when consulted are repeatedly thwarted in favour of half-baked uninformed solutions. Far too much emphasis is given to them demands of the motor vehicle when getting people out of cars is the best solution.
Yes, anybody who seriously thinks painting a white bicycle on the pavement is a solution and not a problem should be made to give their head a shake. Compulsory move to another job where they can't do any more harm would be desirable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here