Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England National Team

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes but how do we change it?

Germany haven't got a Premiership that is too powerful and controlling, only cares about itself and diddly squat about the national team.

Until the wheel turns and the Premiership goes out of fashion and the power shifts there is zero chance of change.
True.
Don't forget the whole premise of EPL was to improve the national team :lol:.

In the meantime, come 2014, we could AGAIN point to:-

Our lack of fully qualified coaches.
No competitive sport in school.
Poor facilities.
Playing on full sized pitches from 9.

It's a system that hasn't failed for 20 years, so another 20 can't hurt.

Whining about it certainly beats actually doing something.

For me the final straw was the World Cup in South Africa, and one particular moment.

Mr Rooney, "It's nice to hear your own fans booing you"

Well f*** right off Rooney, those fans spent thousands of pounds travelling to South Africa and buying tickets out of a sense of pride and honour regarding the England team, the England team YOU were an abject member of and failed dismally to reciprocate this feeling, I imagine these fans, that YOU had the f***ing nerve to criticise DO NOT earn upwards of £200,000 per week and the expenditure will be in many cases still being paid for 2 years later.

I hope one day you lose ALL your money and reminded what it's like to be a normal human being, and if that happens I would wager my Mortgage that YOU wouldn't spend thousands going to far off lands to support a team that is full of over paid, over hyped, over sexed, prim a donas who don't seem to think that pulling on an England jersey is worthy of putting in just a little bit of extra effort.

:tosser:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For me the final straw was the World Cup in South Africa, and one particular moment.

Mr Rooney, "It's nice to hear your own fans booing you"

Well f*** right off Rooney, those fans spent thousands of pounds travelling to South Africa and buying tickets out of a sense of pride and honour regarding the England team, the England team YOU were an abject member of and failed dismally to reciprocate this feeling, I imagine these fans, that YOU had the f***ing nerve to criticise DO NOT earn upwards of £200,000 per week and the expenditure will be in many cases still being paid for 2 years later.

I hope one day you lose ALL your money and reminded what it's like to be a normal human being, and if that happens I would wager my Mortgage that YOU wouldn't spend thousands going to far off lands to support a team that is full of over paid, over hyped, over sexed, prim a donas who don't seem to think that pulling on an England jersey is worthy of putting in just a little bit of extra effort.

:tosser:

Most definately this!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He was no better in the Euros.

I'm convinced he had one goal scoring opportunity that he turned down because it involved a glancing header. He chose to miss it as he'd just had his hair transplant op IMHO.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the green eyed monster mate, the same reason why people on here bang on about hating the premier league and the not caring about the champions league in one breath yet yearning to be there in another.

If you don't like the national side and appreciate some of you don't then that is fine. But starting a thread before every England/Prem/CL game to say how little they care just shows that deep down they really do care and are just doing to try and be one of the cool kids. It's the football equivalent of hating Coldplay.

Speaking as someone who does pretty much the opposite of you (most aways and few homes) we know there is still plenty interest in the national side. Friday I was in Chisinau with lads that fly in from the States for every game. Plenty of BHA there as well (4 and 1/2 (the 1/2 is a gooner really but has 1901 seats) in our group, plus bumped into [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who had another 4 with him). Granted there is a bit of apathy towards the side since South Africa and that showed by the poor (by our standards) following we took to Ukraine/Poland in the summer. But we sold out Friday (and trust me it wasn't an easy place to get to!!), we're taking 3k to Poland next month and there were 68k there last night. We'll take allot to Brazil despite the fact we haven't got a cat in hells chance of doing anything.

Keep your pecker up fella and seriously look into doing the aways you won't regret it.

Have to agree entirely with this. I take the view, my country right or wrong. I support England and the Albion but get fed up with the negativity about all things to do with the England team, it's become the trendy thing to do. We have, for decades, been technically inferior to many continental players yet we had resonable tournaments in 1986, 90 and 96. In 98 we probably went out a round early due to the petulance of Beckham, in 2010, a horrendous refereeing decision turned the game back in favour of a young German team. Footballers have some excellent role models and equally some very bad ones but because it is the national game, the tabloids love to fill their front and back pages with their antics. Most of the successful athletes in the recent games haven't had to endure that media spotlight for long periods. As for the money the players earn, that's not their fault.

As for the game last night where some people have been complaining that England were boring, surely they were trying to play a possession game not dissimilar to the Albion.!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's the green eyed monster mate, the same reason why people on here bang on about hating the premier league and the not caring about the champions league in one breath yet yearning to be there in another.

If you don't like the national side and appreciate some of you don't then that is fine. But starting a thread before every England/Prem/CL game to say how little they care just shows that deep down they really do care and are just doing to try and be one of the cool kids. It's the football equivalent of hating Coldplay.

Speaking as someone who does pretty much the opposite of you (most aways and few homes) we know there is still plenty interest in the national side. Friday I was in Chisinau with lads that fly in from the States for every game. Plenty of BHA there as well (4 and 1/2 (the 1/2 is a gooner really but has 1901 seats) in our group, plus bumped into [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who had another 4 with him). Granted there is a bit of apathy towards the side since South Africa and that showed by the poor (by our standards) following we took to Ukraine/Poland in the summer. But we sold out Friday (and trust me it wasn't an easy place to get to!!), we're taking 3k to Poland next month and there were 68k there last night. We'll take allot to Brazil despite the fact we haven't got a cat in hells chance of doing anything.

Keep your pecker up fella and seriously look into doing the aways you won't regret it.

I would dearly love england to do well. I still follow them all i can. I will never stop supporting them and getting up in the middle of the night to watch them.

The difference is I just don't have any expectations and this means i don't really care. I don't think i will start caring until something changes. The factors that are stifling us have been mentioned on this thread and nothing will changed until they are addressed.

I liken it to when brighton were in trouble still cared with all my heart but just didn't worry when we lost because it was expected. There are more important things going on the individual results.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Grass roots football needs to be addressed, start them off on the right path early and there is more chance of the country producing some decent players.

I do believe that the Premiership has alot to do with the problems, we have 20 teams in the premiership if you look at their teamsheets few of the players are English. Alot of time perhaps there is an Englishman that could do the job if given the chance but the manager persists with someone foreign.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If footballers showed even the slightest bit of humility we would all rally round. As it is they dont help themselves.

I dont hear Mo Farah thumping Djs in nightclubs or Jessica Ennis parking in disabled bays or Brad Wiggins saying "I nearly swerved off the road when they ONLY offered me £60,000 a week"or David Weir shagging Grimsby dinner ladies etc etc

Simple fact is footballers need to clean up their image. The media dont help granted as Rio and Bellamy do alot for charridy but even so.

And as for England aways surely like the Albion its a great social occasion ruined by 90mins of football?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's not a case of wanting to be trendy, or being unpatriotic. You only have to look at the cynicism towards the Olympics beforehand, and how the event managed to change attitudes, to see that people want to be proud of the England team, but find it difficult to do so because of the inability to do the basics of the game and the contempt in which we are held by the badge kissing millionaire mercenaries that represent US in the game.

As for doing well in other tournaments, let's analyse them a bit more closely:

1986, we lost the first match and drew the second, were within a gnat's bollock of going out. We ended up as runner's up in the group stages to the mighty Morocco. In the last 16 we beat Paraguay, before losing to Argentina in the QF. People can go on about the hand of God as much as they want, we were poor full stop.

1990, drew against Ireland and Holland, and it was only a 1-0 victory against Egypt that saw us through. In the last 16 it took 119 minutes to beat Belgium, and we were losing to Cameroon and being played off the park by them before two penalties from Sir Gary of Lineker took us to the SF. We were decent against West Germany, but didn't do enough to win IMO.

1996: Had the benefit of a home draw for the tournament, drew against Switzerland, beat Scotland, great goal from Gazza, but they are f***ing Scotland. The performance against Netherlands was the best in 30 years, and we all rightly celebrated. In the QF against Spain they had two good goals flagged erroneously for offside. SF against Germany was a fair match, as many are, but we can't score from 12 yards, so suffered the consequences.

As for 2010, by all means criticise the officials for the appalling decision re Lampard, but also remember what happened before that, a draw against the USA, an abomination of a performance against Algeria, and we beat Slovenia 1-0. For the last ten minutes England players were trying to keep the ball next to the corner flag to run down time, when they knew that another goal would have meant that they topped the group instead of the USA, and would therefore play Ghana instead of Germany in the last 16, but were either too thick, lazy or talentless to try to do anything different.

As a fan I want to like the players, cheer the team and get behind the flag, but the players and management make it nigh on impossible to do so IMO.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't start many threads on NSC, but my question is what is the problem with the England National team on here? Is it not ok to support and be proud of our boys? I, like many, watched the game tonight and was pleased when Lampard (a fantastic England player, who's record speaks for itself) equalised for England.

There are few positive England threads and I don't really understand why? Given how we qualify for 95% of tournament. I am fortunate to go to most home games and hopefully some away games soon and am dam proud to support the three lions along with the Albion, I just don't get why the team gets so much stick on here, is it just because we don't won every single game??

Not looking for an argument, just want to try and understand why there is so much negativity around the national team???

SB

I agree. I really do not understand why people get quite so worked up about the England team.

Unfortunately we are just not that good. We're ok but not one of the best teams in the world. I don't know why we can't just support them for what they are, a reasonable international team, nothing special but not the worst.

I will always support the team and like you I was pleasedwhen Lampard equalised. I was pleased with how Welbeck, Lampard and Johnson played but disapointed in Gerrard, Jagielka, Cleverley and Oxlade-Chamberlain but two of those are young and will learn. We were also missing Rooney, Terry, Carroll, Wilshere and Adam Johnson who would all make a big difference to the team.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't start many threads on NSC, but my question is what is the problem with the England National team on here? Is it not ok to support and be proud of our boys? I, like many, watched the game tonight and was pleased when Lampard (a fantastic England player, who's record speaks for itself) equalised for England.

There are few positive England threads and I don't really understand why? Given how we qualify for 95% of tournament. I am fortunate to go to most home games and hopefully some away games soon and am dam proud to support the three lions along with the Albion, I just don't get why the team gets so much stick on here, is it just because we don't won every single game??

Not looking for an argument, just want to try and understand why there is so much negativity around the national team???

SB

I'd give up mate - I've been trying to figure out why many BHA fans turn into plastic prem fans when it comes to England with the whole 'we're shit if we don't win the world cup' mentality. We had a good euros and exceded expectations - yet still they forget and moan. We played as a team - and still they forget and moan. There's no winning with some.

There really is no need to even consider 'club vs country' either, as they are two seperate things. I love both and feel all football fans should. But as I say, not much point on here - it's been done so many times and many will just always pop at their own countries football team - sad for me :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Those saying 'England are crap' etc - apart from being wrong (IMO & the world rankings opinion - or even fact) - did you stop supporting the albion when we were shit? No. Same thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd give up mate - I've been trying to figure out why many BHA fans turn into plastic prem fans when it comes to England with the whole 'we're shit if we don't win the world cup' mentality. We had a good euros and exceded expectations - yet still they forget and moan. We played as a team - and still they forget and moan. There's no winning with some.

There really is no need to even consider 'club vs country' either, as they are two seperate things. I love both and feel all football fans should. But as I say, not much point on here - it's been done so many times and many will just always pop at their own countries football team - sad for me :(

Times have changed though. A decade or so ago it was the case 'we're shit if we do not win the world cup.' Now it's 'we're shit.'

I also think a big turning point was when Rooney (or the self-styled 'Big Man') turned on his own fans most of whom had saved hard and travelled a long long way to be in SA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those saying 'England are crap' etc - apart from being wrong (IMO & the world rankings opinion - or even fact) - did you stop supporting the albion when we were shit? No. Same thing.

You must be the only person who takes the world rankings seriously.

And it's not because they are crap. It's mainly because they are objectionable prima-donnas with inflated egos who only seem to care about their life-style and pay packet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Times have changed though. A decade or so ago it was the case 'we're shit if we do not win the world cup.' Now it's 'we're shit.'

I also think a big turning point was when Rooney (or the self-styled 'Big Man') turned on his own fans most of whom had saved hard and travelled a long long way to be in SA.

Maybe yes. But i thought attitudes were changing after how the lads gave everything at the Euros. People were even prasinig Terry on here!

Personally delighted this new look England under Roy is still UNBEATEN amidst some very tough fixtures. How people are moaning a lot is beyond me. Not a dig at you HT, not even bothered to read the thread - just agree with the OP that peoples attitudes are shit.

Thing is I think many go keyboard warrior on here and criticise to try fit in - but really watch the games and love the Summer tournos where, for once, all your mates are in the pub supporting the same team...!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You must be the only person who takes the world rankings seriously.

And it's not because they are crap. It's mainly because they are objectionable prima-donnas with inflated egos who only seem to care about their life-style and pay packet.

I don't think we're anywhere near 3rd best team. I do think we've had very good results in the last 5 years though - hence the rankings thing. Don't try make out i'm saying we're 3rd best team. But the rankings are based on... erm ...erm ...results!

OK then - with the highlighted bit, which players who played last night fit into that bracket? Which players of the future (say under 25) fall into that bracket at the moment?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There, for me at least, is the problem.

I know longer consider myself a football fan, and haven't for many many years.

My love for the Albion goes far beyond fandom, the Albion is a part of me, and will always be a part, no matter what.
It has managed through good times and bad, to be one of the few constants in my life, for that I'm a very proud to be Albion.

Football has had fleeting moments of this, mainly centred around success, 1990 springs to mind as an emotional summer.

But the further removed football has become.
With all it's failure, embarrassment, excuses, the opulence, the wall to wall coverage, being 'more important than life a death', the less I want to be involved, and that all comes out at the England team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here