Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England National Team

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Can't agree we had a good Euros, Sheebo. I can't recall any of the four games that we played really well in, apart from maybe a few minutes against Sweden.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You must be the only person who takes the world rankings seriously.

And it's not because they are crap. It's mainly because they are objectionable prima-donnas with inflated egos who only seem to care about their life-style and pay packet.

How do you know they only care about their lifestyle and pay packet?

This jealousy about what footballers earn is ridiculous. They are paid a lot because fans all around the world love to watch them play football and spend fortunes on tickets, kits, TV subscriptions etc. I don't begrudge paying for these things because I love football and I believe it is worth it for the entertainment I receive. If we didn't spend the amount we do on these things, they wouldn't be paid the big money they are.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Those saying 'England are crap' etc - apart from being wrong (IMO & the world rankings opinion - or even fact) - did you stop supporting the albion when we were shit? No. Same thing.
I wish you'd READ what people have written on here before posting this sort of stuff.

This thread (and others) are all about WHY people feel disconnected to the national side. It is not asking why we are "crap". Firstly, we are clearly not crap. There is absolutely no way we are the 3rd best team in the world of course. That ranking is laughable and comes about because FIFA seems to think penalties don't count. They clearly do, because we nearly ALWAYS get knocked out before the semis. I'd think we are probably around 8th best, which is one or two places below our accustomed position in football's pecking order.

And I honestly don't mind if we are not as good as we might be. But that isn't what people are moaning about anyway. It is the whole atmosphere surrounding the biggest names in football. They demand ridiculous wages that their performances for their country don't justify. There are too many instances of crap anti-social behaviour. There is too much cheating. They are boring thick wankers with no enthusiasm for the game when interviewed (Gerrard, Rooney, Terry etc). They whine and swear at the referee. And the ex-professional footballers who pass as pundits or co-commentators are lazy wankers who can never be bothered to do their research and then come up with appalling one-eyed views on the game, and often expose their basic understanding of the RULES. Andy Townsend in particular is an absolute disgrace in this regard. Why is he tolerated? Why is any of this tolerated?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can't agree we had a good Euros, Sheebo. I can't recall any of the four games that we played really well in, apart from maybe a few minutes against Sweden.

France was good... Passion, team work etc etc. I think we did well, mainly because of circumstances (manager) and we exceeded expectations by topping that group. Were lucky to get to pens but still only lost on pens again... Either way that's not the point - the point is many on here act like Man U plastics not supporting because we don't win anything (1 team in X hundred win the WC every 4 yrs :lol:)

D

Deleted member 18477

Over the past few years we've had the joy of seeing England represented by some of the most unpleasant, unlikeable characters imaginable. Sadly, when they come up against anybody even half decent, they fail, fail and fail again. My interest in the national team has drained away over the years. I couldn't care less anymore.

This.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wish you'd READ what people have written on here before posting this sort of stuff.

This thread (and others) are all about WHY people feel disconnected to the national side. It is not asking why we are "crap". Firstly, we are clearly not crap. There is absolutely no way we are the 3rd best team in the world of course. That ranking is laughable and comes about because FIFA seems to think penalties don't count. They clearly do, because we nearly ALWAYS get knocked out before the semis. I'd think we are probably around 8th best, which is one or two places below our accustomed position in football's pecking order.

And I honestly don't mind if we are not as good as we might be. But that isn't what people are moaning about anyway. It is the whole atmosphere surrounding the biggest names in football. They demand ridiculous wages that their performances for their country don't justify. There are too many instances of crap anti-social behaviour. There is too much cheating. They are boring thick wankers with no enthusiasm for the game when interviewed (Gerrard, Rooney, Terry etc). They whine and swear at the referee. And the ex-professional footballers who pass as pundits or co-commentators are lazy wankers who can never be bothered to do their research and then come up with appalling one-eyed views on the game, and often expose their basic understanding of the RULES. Andy Townsend in particular is an absolute disgrace in this regard. Why is he tolerated? Why is any of this tolerated?

VERY harsh on Gerrard! All he's done is get in a scrap in a nightclub - oh well. The press jump on everythnig and then people take it all in and decide these people are 'wankers'?! Don't see anyone turning on Albion's accused players - interesting that... Is KLL a wanker?
There's the point - people treat club and country differenly and contradict themselves ridiculously...

I don't bother reading these threads because i don't feel 'unattached' and can't stand the lack of respect some on NSC show to their national team. As I said, name a player who played last night who shows this thugish behavious...?

I thought the Euro's had changed many people's minds with the new look England - guess some people still follow the crowd re their country - sad.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
When we reached the promised land and are paying OUR players thousands of pounds a week then no doubt we will turn against them as overpaid spoilt brats.

I will continue to support my country home and away - always prefer the aways and had a cracking time in Moldova last week as [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] said (blog to follow when I get a spare few minutes!!). I thought last night that England FINALLY started to try and play the Albion way. It will take time, remember when Gus took over it took players to learn the Poyet style of play. Last night it was Hart, to Lescott and then try and build, exactly as we do with Greer. To be fair to the Ukraine I thought that for the first half they were excellent, passing the ball around well and broke quickly. Luckily for us they decided to try and defend the 1-0 for the second half and let us off the hook.

It also annoys me that everyone calls for the youngster to play, then say there not good enought. IMHO we missed John Terry badly last night, and Lampards scoring record is superb, so I would stick with a mix of experiance and young blood but give it time.

And while we slag off the supposed horribly nasty mean England players perhaps we need to look closer to home at our players and there behaviour off pitch, I do believe we have kept the courts busy since we have been on the up.

Some people are blinkered and band waggon jumpers, but each to there own.

Anyway roll on Poland away in October and Sweden in November, I cant wait.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Surely if we are to progress we need to take a look at alternatives to Lampard and Gerrard playing in the midfield together?

#welcometo5yearsago

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I completely agree about the ex player pundits and commentators, they are terrible.

This 'atmosphere' around the players is created by the fans and media though. They are young guys who are absolutely worshipped from a very young age and every mistake they make is magnified. I'm sure nearly everyone made mistakes they would rather forget about when they were teenagers/young adults. As for swearing at refs, whilst it is totally wrong, that goes on at all levels of football all around the country, not just the top players. It is far worse on a local Sunday league pitch. And I don't think its fair to criticise their interviews, they are not the most educated in the world and shouldn't be expected to be naturals in front of the camera. Not all of our Olympians were great when interviewed either but they're not judged for it. And the pay thing isn't an argument with the national team as they're not paid to play for England, the money goes straight to charity.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
VERY harsh on Gerrard! All he's done is get in a scrap in a nightclub - oh well. The press jump on everythnig and then people take it all in and decide these people are 'wankers'?! Don't see anyone turning on Albion's accused players - interesting that... Is KLL a wanker?
There's the point - people treat club and country differenly and contradict themselves ridiculously...
Gerrard is a boring dullard who is overrated on the football pitch and got into a fight in a nightclub. I don't warm to him, neither do many others. Hardly surprising.

I don't bother reading these threads because i don't feel 'unattached' and can't stand the lack of respect some on NSC show to their national team.
In that case, why are you bothering to post an answer to a point that wasn't being made. Nobody said England are shit. Just that they are overrated and out of touch.

As I said, name a player who played last night who shows this thugish behavious...?

I thought the Euro's had changed many people's minds with the new look England - guess some people still follow the crowd re their country - sad.
I said "anti social", not thugish (sic) behavious (sic). I'll start with Gerrard and fighting in a nightclub. But you're right, last night there weren't many complete twats on view - but only because Rooney, Ferdinand, Cole and Terry weren't playing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When we reached the promised land and are paying OUR players thousands of pounds a week then no doubt we will turn against them as overpaid spoilt brats.

I will continue to support my country home and away - always prefer the aways and had a cracking time in Moldova last week as [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] said (blog to follow when I get a spare few minutes!!). I thought last night that England FINALLY started to try and play the Albion way. It will take time, remember when Gus took over it took players to learn the Poyet style of play. Last night it was Hart, to Lescott and then try and build, exactly as we do with Greer. To be fair to the Ukraine I thought that for the first half they were excellent, passing the ball around well and broke quickly. Luckily for us they decided to try and defend the 1-0 for the second half and let us off the hook.

It also annoys me that everyone calls for the youngster to play, then say there not good enought. IMHO we missed John Terry badly last night, and Lampards scoring record is superb, so I would stick with a mix of experiance and young blood but give it time.

And while we slag off the supposed horribly nasty mean England players perhaps we need to look closer to home at our players and there behaviour off pitch, I do believe we have kept the courts busy since we have been on the up.

Best post i've ever seen on NSC re England :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

And from someone who really knows their international football. I couldn't agree more with your description of last nights match too - Gerrard and Lamps combined very well at times and we looked good in patches.

Either way, you don't give up on your country. A country is for life, the players are for X years - they will play for England a small amount of a lifetime, even if you don't like them...

Well said mate. :clap2:

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
I must have been watching a different game last night as I didn't think we even deserved the draw.

I'm not Roy's biggest fan either but I think he hit the nail right on the head when he stated of the percentage of players in the top flight only 33% are English, he would rather he had 66% to choose from.

In the last 10 years there has been a gradual decline in the England team and the signs for the future are not good. The fact we're currently ranked Number 3 in the world also highlights the failings of FIFA.

All of the above aside I suppose my biggest gripe is the lack of passion, if the players seem indifferent to playing for their country how the hell can they expect the fans to cheer wildy for them??

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
It's the green eyed monster mate, the same reason why people on here bang on about hating the premier league and the not caring about the champions league in one breath yet yearning to be there in another.

If you don't like the national side and appreciate some of you don't then that is fine. But starting a thread before every England/Prem/CL game to say how little they care just shows that deep down they really do care and are just doing to try and be one of the cool kids. It's the football equivalent of hating Coldplay.

Speaking as someone who does pretty much the opposite of you (most aways and few homes) we know there is still plenty interest in the national side. Friday I was in Chisinau with lads that fly in from the States for every game. Plenty of BHA there as well (4 and 1/2 (the 1/2 is a gooner really but has 1901 seats) in our group, plus bumped into [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who had another 4 with him). Granted there is a bit of apathy towards the side since South Africa and that showed by the poor (by our standards) following we took to Ukraine/Poland in the summer. But we sold out Friday (and trust me it wasn't an easy place to get to!!), we're taking 3k to Poland next month and there were 68k there last night. We'll take allot to Brazil despite the fact we haven't got a cat in hells chance of doing anything.

Keep your pecker up fella and seriously look into doing the aways you won't regret it.

Someone's just hit the nail on the head.

Currently do the same number of home and aways and agree with the above. 3k to Poland and 2k to Sweden (for a friendly!) isnt bad at all.

The majority of the NSC England haters are exactly as you've said - jealous keyboard warriors. Unhealthily jealous of the players earning millions. I really couldn't care whether they're on £5 or £5M a week, as long as they put in the effort. Is what they earn really relevant?

This new generation of England are showing some pride and the future doesn't look too bad. We won't win in Brazil but I think our chances in France in 4 years won't be too bad at all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd give up mate - I've been trying to figure out why many BHA fans turn into plastic prem fans when it comes to England with the whole 'we're shit if we don't win the world cup' mentality. We had a good euros and exceded expectations - yet still they forget and moan. We played as a team - and still they forget and moan. There's no winning with some.

There really is no need to even consider 'club vs country' either, as they are two seperate things. I love both and feel all football fans should. But as I say, not much point on here - it's been done so many times and many will just always pop at their own countries football team - sad for me :(

1: Who has said we are crap because we haven't won the WC?

2: Why do you think people who are so passionate about the Albion are indifferent to the national team?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I used to be well into the whole England thing, and would say I wanted them to Win as much as the Albion.

Ever since the absoloute debacle in South Africa ( For which there was no excuse for whatsoever ), I could not give a monkeys.

Like most "Fans" I can deal with the team I support being shit, not technically good enough, and / or tactically inept. What I cannot, and will not accept is a total lack of pride, passion and effort. Not to mention watching players who look world beaters for their clubs and then are bordering on Blue square premier players at major international tournaments.

Have watched hardly any England games since that World Cup, with the Albion on the up, and taking up most of my spare time, I seriously doubt that will change any time soon.

100% This.

Well said.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames

Very well said.

The ongoing case in court and re-employing a player who told the Club's fans to f*** off isn't quite the squeaky clean image some would have us believe. Oh, plus a manager who openly states that he would jump at a Premier League job if it came up. Classy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gerrard is a boring dullard who is overrated on the football pitch and got into a fight in a nightclub. I don't warm to him, neither do many others. Hardly surprising.

Oh no! In 15 yrs of being a footballer he got involved in one 'fight' that the tabloids told us about! Do behave, we're not all perfect. How many of your mates have done silly things and how long (if atall) did you hold it against them? You don't know him so don't know for sure he's a 'boring dullard' do you...

In that case, why are you bothering to post an answer to a point that wasn't being made. Nobody said England are shit. Just that they are overrated and out of touch.

Well IMO they are infact UNDERATED because of all the stupid negativity some attach to them. What was it again - no competitive defeat at home in 5 yrs / no WC qualifying home defeat for over a decade / Undefeated under RH - you'd think we were Sctoland the way some moan.Results have been good overall.

I skimmed the thread and saw several replies slagging off our football. I responded to the OP who had a great point and had clearly picked up on negativity from other threads - as i had. So no, I had every right to respond without reading most of the usual negative drivel...

I said "anti social", not thugish (sic) behavious (sic). I'll start with Gerrard and fighting in a nightclub. But you're right, last night there weren't many complete twats on view - but only because Rooney, Ferdinand, Cole and Terry weren't playing.

Do BEHAVE it's not a spelling test. So my point re a more 'new look' England in the future is correct (until the tabloids break the next over inflated story about the next good player we create, which the likes of yourself will take into your head and express an immediate dislike towards because 'The Sun' said it happened...?!

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gerrard and Lamps combined very well at times and we looked good in patches.

Did they? Must have missed that.

One thing that did strike me last night was the horrible quality of our passing at time, especially out from the back four. They really don't know how to do it. That, combined with the lack of ability to control the ball, made for a horrible watch.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1: Who has said we are crap because we haven't won the WC?
It's exactly how some fans seem on here. As I said it's a mentality - didn't say anyone 'said' it - altho they pretty much always do say words to that affect on many England threads...

2: Why do you think people who are so passionate about the Albion are indifferent to the national team?

Not a clue. Really don't get it. If I gave an honest answer to that i'd prob offend many so wont bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here