Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v West Indies, Lords, 1st Test. Farewell to Sir Jimmy Anderson ***

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Athletes and players become major characters in our existence. Heroes, influencers and comforters. For more than two decades, James Anderson hasn't just been England's guardian of the new ball, but a constant presence at the top of British sport and, therefore, our collective being.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
First test of the 'summer' starts in 30 mins. England v a rejuvenated West Indies at Lords.

And it's Jimmy's last ever test. Legend.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England win the toss and bowl

Got tickets to days 2, 3 and 4 for this thanks to the vagaries of the Lord’s ticket ballot

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Please merge - failed to see there was already a thread.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
England: Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jamie Smith (wk), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, James Anderson.

West Indies: Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Mikyle Louis, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Jason Holder, Joshua da Silva (wk), Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Jayden Seales.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Undecided on bowling first. Lessens the chances of Jimmy taking the final wicket of the game to round it all off!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure this says more about my lack of knowledge, than the actual state of West Indian cricket, but it is amazing that I can recite entire WI line ups across a couple of decades from the late 70s onwards, but I have no idea who half of these guys are!

West Indies: Kraigg Brathwaite (c), Mikyle Louis, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Jason Holder, Joshua da Silva (wk), Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Jayden Seales.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just right conditions for Anderson. West Indies hardly rejuvinated in Test Cricket where they are very poor. and main interest is in 20/20 game

Reactions: A1X

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can Jimmy go out with style and pip Shane Warnes record?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
England: Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jamie Smith (wk), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, Sir James Anderson.

Corrected for you

• Love
Reactions: A1X

After his 7 for last week, have England shot themselves in the foot by calling time on him when he still feels in top form?

All for blooding the youngsters ahead of the Ashes, but with Broad gone then perhaps having Jimmy on the pitch guiding them and doing his thing all summer may have been wise.

Anyway, hope he picks up a few and pushes towards Warne number of wickets.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
After his 7 for last week, have England shot themselves in the foot by calling time on him when he still feels in top form?

All for blooding the youngsters ahead of the Ashes, but with Broad gone then perhaps having Jimmy on the pitch guiding them and doing his thing all summer may have been wise.

Anyway, hope he picks up a few and pushes towards Warne number of wickets.

ICC ranked #8 test bowler. Doesn't want to retire. Should have had the summer.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
ICC ranked #8 test bowler. Doesn't want to retire. Should have had the summer.
I feel a bit like this.

Hate it in sport where they try to contrive a perfect ending for a particular player.

No need to be asking anything other than what is our best team to win this game now. If Jimmy is in that, and I think he is, play him. Then do the same for the next game and so on

If his career ends in some ignominious way because of a crap performance or injury, so be it. That's sport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here