Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 7

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I despair how the England keeper hoofs it so much.. Brighton has a much better idea how to keep possession from the back.
I completely disagree. Bobbly pitch, Denmark pressing us high up the pitch and no movement from the England players. You’ve got to be pragmatic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I completely disagree. Bobbly pitch, Denmark pressing us high up the pitch and no movement from the England players. You’ve got to be pragmatic.

So why didn’t we press up high last hour? Southgate must’ve seen it was working well for Denmark, counter it with replication. We weren’t playing a classy Spain or France.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Every Euros winning manager since 2000 has won at least one major league title before they became a national team manager.

While it feels like the FA want to distance themselves from Sven/Capello type appointments it would be nice if we could appoint someone with an actual track record of success.
Have you just disproven your point?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're right, this tournament is filled with poor keepers who've been beaten from outside the box! :facepalm:

In this case, incredibly lazy non closing down.

IMG_2256.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Every Euros winning manager since 2000 has won at least one major league title before they became a national team manager.

While it feels like the FA want to distance themselves from Sven/Capello type appointments it would be nice if we could appoint someone with an actual track record of success.
Let's be honest, Southgate got the job because after the Allardyce PR debacle, GS was a safe pair of hands on a temporary basis. However, long term plans were scuppered because the very good players at his disposal won some games. He's been lucky at every tournament so far and failed against any decent opposition.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pickford always hoofs the ball. It’s exceedingly bad luck that whatever ground he goes to, in whatever country, he ALWAYS gets a bobbly pitch. Or maybe it’s more to do with being pants?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're right, this tournament is filled with poor keepers who've been beaten from outside the box! :facepalm:
Not from 31 metres, tonight was the furthest goal since the last euros.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So why didn’t we press up high last hour? Southgate must’ve seen it was working well for Denmark, counter it with replication. We weren’t playing a classy Spain or France.
I heard someone call him 'Safegate' earlier. And Walker's comments in his post gate interview on the pitch were telling, as he said something along the lines of 'if the fullbacks attack, and they then go and score - we'll be blamed because we're out of position'. This was straight after denying they were encouraged to sit-back after scoring.

It all comes down to this really I think - fear of losing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here