Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They never learn do they?

Henry Winter of The Telegraph saying (barely even thinly veiled) that Hodgson will have to change his style to accomodate what the press demand or they will hound him out (as they helped to do at Liverpool)

"The Daily Telegraph's football correspondent Henry Winter told BBC Radio 5 live he thought there would be doubts among England fans.

But he said: "Personally, I think he is a decent choice.

"One way of summing him up is that he is a broadsheet man in a tabloid world. He is almost a professor type character when people want soundbites and players want short team-talks.

"So, he is going to have to change his style of management and style of news conference if he is going to succeed in the job."

Sorry but that is an absolute f***ing disgrace if typical of the arrogance of the British press. Leveson might as well not be happening :tosser:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Even Capello (who clearly knows his onions) couldn't be arsed with learning the language or moderating to suit a non-Latin culture. Hodgson ought to do better than all of them.

Capello is an interesting one, because somehow, in a combination of anti-FA feeling in the press, the suddenness of his departure, and the appointment of Roy over 'Arry seems to have seen a transformation in the view of Capello to the extent whereby the Pree will slate the FA for Capello going, and completely forget just how completely abject we were in South Africa.

Don't get me wriong, he made qualification look very easy, and that is no mean feat, but when it comes down to it, that's no good if we turn up at a tournament looking like it5's just caused our holiday to be delayed. South Africa was as appalling as I can remember us in a major finals.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They never learn do they?

Henry Winter of The Telegraph saying (barely even thinly veiled) that Hodgson will have to change his style to accomodate what the press demand or they will hound him out (as they helped to do at Liverpool)

"The Daily Telegraph's football correspondent Henry Winter told BBC Radio 5 live he thought there would be doubts among England fans.

But he said: "Personally, I think he is a decent choice.

"One way of summing him up is that he is a broadsheet man in a tabloid world. He is almost a professor type character when people want soundbites and players want short team-talks.

"So, he is going to have to change his style of management and style of news conference if he is going to succeed in the job."

Sorry but that is an absolute f***ing disgrace if typical of the arrogance of the British press. Leveson might as well not be happening :tosser:

Agreed. Incredibly arrogant, and is pretty much flat out saying that the press WILL tell the nation what to think of the manager. Unfortunately, he'll probably be right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thats irrelevant here, Roy knows English football. My SOLE argument in favour of Harry is that I think he has the better motivational skills which I think is more important than organisational skills at TOP-level International football.
I think Redknapp operates on bigging his players up in the media. It's the right thing to do, in that they feel good about themselves and motivated to play for him.

The problem is, he often picks the wrong team or wrong formation. And even worse, when it falls apart he doesn't have the necessary skills to turn the game around. I remember the North London derby and Spurs went two in front. I just *knew* that as soon as Arsenal pulled one back, Spurs would fall apart. And they did. That game said all you need to know about Redknapp.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Redknapp:
One third division title
One second division title (with an absolutely enormous budget)
One FA Cup win at a cost of nearly bankrupting his club

Hodgson:
UEFA Cup runner up with Internazionale
Europa League runner up with Fulham
Two League championships. Admittedly, only in Sweden & Denmark, but not with the biggest clubs in those leagues.

So who do you think looks like he'd do better in Europe? To me, it's a no brainer, and that's before we get into all the bungs and that nonsense.

I think the operative words here are "runner up" !

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No he didn't "do well" with Switzerland, he did far better than that. Of course everything is relative!

He took a nation of non-qualifiers, and qualified for the 1994 World Cup, which I believe was their first qualification for 20 years, and he also got them through the Group stages. That was an incredible achievement.

Also, he did it with the same pool of talent, not buying in a load of new players that the club couldn't afford. That is a hard skill, and it's hard to tell whether a manager has it unless they have International experience. Not all good club managers would make good International managers, which is why the fact Roy has this experience, and shown he can improve a group of players to play beyond where everyone thought they could, is a massive plus for him, and one that 'Arry just cannot match.

It is good, but then world football is littered with managers who did amazingly well at a lower level, but couldn't replicate it at the top.

In football the absolute matters, or at least it should for England.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Capello is an interesting one, because somehow, in a combination of anti-FA feeling in the press, the suddenness of his departure, and the appointment of Roy over 'Arry seems to have seen a transformation in the view of Capello to the extent whereby the Pree will slate the FA for Capello going, and completely forget just how completely abject we were in South Africa.

Don't get me wriong, he made qualification look very easy, and that is no mean feat, but when it comes down to it, that's no good if we turn up at a tournament looking like it5's just caused our holiday to be delayed. South Africa was as appalling as I can remember us in a major finals.

It was a bizarre one though. I think Capello was confused as any of us after the Algeria game. What happened? Algeria were exactly the sort of team we were BUMMING INTO NEXT MONTH in the qualifiers. Made no sense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is good, but then world football is littered with managers who did amazingly well at a lower level, but couldn't replicate it at the top.

You sound like an England fan from around Euro 96 era. You do realise we've been a "bit shit" for quite a few years now, yeah? We are a Top 8 team in the International world. Our rightful place is quarter finals, sometimes lower, very occasionally higher.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Oh no, not Hodgson! Why would we want someone with proven international experience or tactical nous when we could instead have matey press conferences and half the Portsmouth FA Cup winning squad? Madness!

On a serious note, I'm all for Roy, Harry may be the motivator but our squad needs more than that to have even a slim hope. Hell, if he can take Switzerland to 3rd in the world...

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Agreed. Incredibly arrogant, and is pretty much flat out saying that the press WILL tell the nation what to think of the manager. Unfortunately, he'll probably be right.

this, sadly. The downside of redknapp not getting the job is that i was looking forward to seeing who the press would blame when we got a schooled by sweden in the euros. Good choice with hodgson though imo. Just hope the players show him a little respect, as was rumoured to be one of the problems at liverpool.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Got a lot of experience and has only done a bad job at Liverpool really - could work out well so its a good choice.

If he does go - id expect a "Gus to West Brom" topic

He wasn't given any time to sort Liverpool out. They needed to be properly organised to give them a platform to win games and they were either not good enough or not interested. Dalglish's record in the Premier league since he took over is worse than Hodgson's.

I may get shot down for this but I said Hodgson was the best manager in the Premier League based on what he did for Fulham and I don't see that he has done anything since to change that view. It's not as if he has been able to go out and spent 100/200 million on new players and he wont be able to do that for England either. He's going to have to work with what's available and he's the best in the business at that, IMO. Of course, Fergie's record is fantastic but he buys half a new team every couple of years.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
You sound like an England fan from around Euro 96 era. You do realise we've been a "bit shit" for quite a few years now, yeah? We are a Top 8 team in the International world. Our rightful place is quarter finals, sometimes lower, very occasionally higher.

I probably am exactly that. It was the best of times and I've fallen out of love with the England team since we screwed up Euro 2004 -which we really could have won. We've been a bit shit in the big tournaments (very good in the qualifiers) - but nearly every team has been a 'bit shit' in the tournaments in the last few years - too much champions league, premier league leaving knackered players out by June.

There's two kinds of manager, the organisational sensible manager - Robson, Taylor, Sven, McLaren, Capello, Hodgson or the passionate motivational manager, Venables, Keegan, Clough, Redknapp. I prefer the latter but the FA rarely bites. Hoddle had a bit of both, my favourite manager of the last 20 years. France '98 was the best tournament of the lot, and the one I'm most gutted about in hindsight. The last time we played with passion and flair in a major tournament finals.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I probably am exactly that. It was the best of times and I've fallen out of love with the England team since we screwed up Euro 2004 -which we really could have won. We've been a bit shit in the big tournaments (very good in the qualifiers) - but nearly every team has been a 'bit shit' in the tournaments in the last few years - too much champions league, premier league leaving knackered players out by June.

There's two kinds of manager, the organisational sensible manager - Robson, Taylor, Sven, McLaren, Capello, Hodgson or the passionate motivational manager, Venables, Keegan, Clough, Redknapp. I prefer the latter but the FA rarely bites. Hoddle had a bit of both, my favourite manager of the last 20 years. France '98 was the best tournament of the lot, and the one I'm most gutted about in hindsight. The last time we played with passion and flair in a major tournament finals.

We were very good in 96 and 98, arguably the team that played the best football at Euro 96 - I watched the England Germany Euro 96 semi recently on ESPN Classic, the full 120 minutes. I've never seen a German side look so SHIT SCARED, we were all over them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

So, what would that leave, managers who have won teh World Cup? Our press chased off Scolari before he ever took the job. The Spanish bloke perhaps, as he's won at the very top? Naah, it takes a very different manager to get the best out of our players, than to manage Xavi, Inesta and company. While the Spanish manager is more akin to an ex-Real Madrid manager, our is more in need of someone who can take Fulham to a top 10 finish and a European Final. Bingo.

The problem is the unrealistic expectations of the fans and media. Truth is, we have 2 players who I thought could genuinely light up this tournament, and one has been injured all season (Wilshire) and the other is banned from the start of the tournament (Rooney). That leaves us with the same old central midfield that has failed so, many times before, and a forward line that isn't going to scare anyone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
We were very good in 96 and 98, arguably the team that played the best football at Euro 96 - I watched the England Germany Euro 96 semi recently on ESPN Classic, the full 90 minutes. I've never seen a German side look so SHIT SCARED, we were all over them.

I'll never forget heading to the pub with my mates that sunny Tuesday evening after we dicked the Dutch 4-1, and seeing crowds of people flooding out of every house doing exactly the same. The atmosphere in Nottingham that day was electric and I'm sure repeated across the country. Whilst accepting many of the stats thrown at me on this thread I make no apology for seeing Redknapp as the new Venables incarnate.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'll never forget heading to the pub with my mates that sunny Saturday afternoon after we dicked the Dutch 4-1, and seeing crowds of people flooding out of every house doing exactly the same.

It was a Tuesday night we beat the Dutch in Euro 1996 and the Dutch were crap then and only qualified past the Jocks on goal difference. The Dutch couldn't even beat the Jocks in 1996 to show they weren't quite the World beaters and neither were we as we didn't beat the Swiss and beat the Spanish on penalties.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

But you've put Venables in the wrong camp. He was a superb technical, tactical manager, exactly in the Hodgson mould. Get the team properly organised defensively so that they have the freedom to attack in force with width.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here