Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
May not be happy that whoever comes in now must be 4th or 5th choice
That simply can't be proven one way or the other. We seemed pretty confident of landing McKenna. After that I reckon Tony's kept his cards firmly up his sleeve and has probably been chuckling away at the speculation. This guy could easily be second cab off the rank, it's just the lack of English football and his age would put him behind McKenna.

All the talk of Potter, Cooper et al has been nonsense, surely?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He was, because he fits us like a glove according to the data points I compared, but I removed him because I thought there was no chance of us signing a manager with zero top league experience in any country.
What, like our top choice McKenna. ( ok he did some coaching at Man U but nowhere near the top job).
He would be a risk, but a risk with us is that we get DeZerbian like frustration from a more experienced coach who wants their own players.
There’s risk in every appointment.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
The problem Brighton have is that neither Hurzeler or Rydstrom look as good an appointment as Potter, given his experience, but Potter is holding out for better and therefore we have to either wait until he doesn't get it or appoint a lesser candidate. In which case, Potter might later become available and we've moved too soon.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Cincinnati claims to have the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany:

I've been a few times back when I lived in Cincy.

Yes, my own family can trace their immigration through Cincinnati, where many Germans stayed, then to St Louis and finally my father moved to Indiana.

When I lived in Indianapolis many of my friends drove south to Zinzinnati Oktoberfest because of the crazy parties there.

One of the biggest German communities in the US is the New Braunfels, Texas area.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
May not be happy that whoever comes in now must be 4th or 5th choice
Yeah this 31-year-old guy who got his manager license only a year ago and probably earns £70k-100k a year in Pauli will probably be crying himself to sleep tonight thinking about only being the 4th choice to coach a team in the best league in the world where he'll be earning at least 10x what he gets now.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Come on fella, I value your thoughts on the chance of this being a reality ?
I believe we have been tracking him because a he has had the profile for us to do that and I would be very surprised if he were not on our shortlist - he refused to sign an extension with SP until they negotiated an exit clause into his contract - he also visited Brighton in the New Year to watch us play.

If we don’t plan to go for him - he’ll be worth a lot more by next year - Bundesliga Clubs are very interested.

Whether we are going for him or not, he’s another young manager that is a rising star.

I did some reading on him ( and on other possibles that everyone was talking about) - he seemed to be far better than all the names that had already been mentioned and he jumped out, as a gut instinct, more than anything else.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The problem Brighton have is that neither Hurzeler or Rydstrom look as good an appointment as Potter, given his experience, but Potter is holding out for better and therefore we have to either wait or appoint a lesser candidate. In which case, Potter might later become available and we've moved too soon.
Potter didn't have much more experience when we first got him in. A few seasons getting success with dodgy money in a farmer's league and 11th in the Championship. He came because Ashworth liked his story, his style of football and his willingness to work with players other teams might not play.

I doubt we looked to check if Mickey Adams or Oscar Garcia were available when recruiting Potter.

Hurzeler takes it over Rydstrom for me though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There's a difference between leaving your club in the close season to go to a different country and leaving your club 6 games into a season to go to another club you were actively competing with.
Is there really? Or are our fans as hypocritical as every other club's fans and we'll change our minds to suit our agenda?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You must be forgetting that he'd beaten Arsenal in the Europa league with Ostersunds and Swansea went toe-to-toe with Man City in the FA Cup semi.
He had zero Premier League experience and one season in English football management. And Swansea lost that game.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
You must be forgetting that he'd beaten Arsenal in the Europa league with Ostersunds and Swansea went toe-to-toe with Man City in the FA Cup semi.
Think the Arsenal result is considered a lot more by fans than it would have been by the club in reality. It was a poor Arsenal side at the time under Wenger, playing in a competition they didn't really care about. The appointment of Potter would have been for the same reasons as any potential Hurzeler appointment- style of play, fit with the club, ability to develop young players etc.

1717687706595.png

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Just watching this. He made a conscious effort to improve set pieces? Both attacking and defending. That alone would be a big improvement over what we've been (not) doing lately
Don't understand this narrative. Most of Pascal Gross' multiple assists this season came from crosses from set piece plays. Does it only count if it's a direct corner for Duffy to smash in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here