Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films - Best of British

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Ken Loach is a fave of mine. 'My Name is Joe' was superb, and 'Land and Freedom' pretty damn good too.

Best British film of all time is Life of Brian though, by a country mile. How many comedies make you laugh every time you see them, no matter how often you've already watched them?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Probably as low as you can go, but fav British film from the 80s was "Rita, Sue and Bob too"!!

F--cking hilarious

PS To anyone out there who remembers the film, I used to live near Bradford until last year and that grimy, run-down estate where one of the girls lived with her alcoholic dad is still there, and is as bad, if not worse, than how it was depicted in the film!!!!!!!!

Squiffy

Jul 11, 2003
Local Hero - top top film with a top message, the oil dude who comes over to buy up 20 miles of coastline for a refinery but gets transformed and finds himself, via the odd 10 year old malt. 20 years ago - cor blimey....

As for The Ipcress File many years in my first full time I worked with guy who played the professor - he was a messenger in the civil service! Top chap too.

Squiffy

Jul 11, 2003
A tad surprised none of those late 50s/early 60s gritty films have had a mention. Ya know the type : Charlie Bubbles, Saturday Night Sunday Morning (surely the strangest appearance by Liza Minelli in a film, or was that Charlie B...), Room At The Top, Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner et al.

Anyone for Room With A View? - with a storming Denholm Elliott stealing the show and Daniel Day Lewis as dawdling Cecil...

As for crap films may I put forward Absolute Beginners - made worse if one had read the book - and Letter To Brezhnev.

Once on a weekend in Dublin went to see a film on O'Connell Street that had the very same cinema IN the film, The Last King of summink or other. Predictable cliched Irish tosh.

And last but by no means last Fever Pitch?

The Large One said:
Anything by Mike Leigh...

• Nuts In May
• Abigail's Party
• Secret & Lies
• Naked
• Life is Sweet
• High Hopes

Classics all.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I hate secrets & lies. I think it stems from when she talks about putting her hand down the toilet, and sometimes rats biting her. I have a huge phobia about rats, and it made me sick.

curly

Jul 5, 2003
gosport
blue juice, best film ever

shooting fish

twin town

saving grace

notting hill

trainspotting

a matter of life and death

Land and Freedom

All of the classics have been mentioned, a few more Hitchcocks could be thrown in,

Do you all know that in the early days of cinema, Brighton was one of the leading places in the world for making films,

Original studios pre WW1 used to be along the road between Buckingham Street and St.Nicholas Church and the other was down Davidor Road, off the 7 Diles.

Land and Freedom, moved me more than most other GB films, if only our Government had acted properly over the Spanish Civil War, thousands would not have died there and the second world war may never had happened and millions of lives may have not had been lost.

LC1

Life of Brian goes without saying :lolol:

But one I haven't seen here so far is The Man Who Would Be King.
Sean Connery and Michael Caine - A masterpiece !

Also Sleuth with just Michael Caine and Sir Laurence (or is it Lawrence ?) Olivier.

Whaddya Fink??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here